What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball hosts Samford (Thurs., 12/20, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Finish off non-conference STRONG Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/18/womens-basketball-rested-buffs-set-for-samford.aspx

"
BOULDER—The University of Colorado women's basketball team will be well rested when it takes the court against Samford on Thursday (7 p.m.).

The Buffaloes (9-1) have had eight days since its last game, a 41-point win over Prairie View A&M. All 12 available Buffs got in on the action last Wednesday. Senior Alexis Robinson was one of four players to reach double figures, leading the team with 13 points. Sophomore Mya Hollingshed recorded her third consecutive double-double (11 pts/11 reb). Freshman Cameron Swartz contributed 12 of CU's season-high 39 bench points.

"I feel good with how we are playing," head coach JR Payne noted. "Our last game [Prairie View A&M] was probably our most complete game of the year. I thought we played well offensively. Defensively, we outrebounded our opponent by a lot. It was a good game and we need to continue to build on that. "

The break in the schedule falls at a welcome point for the Buffaloes.

"In this last month or so we have traveled, come back home and traveled again," Payne explained. "It has been a lot. We have had a bunch of games in a row. Now we are heading into finals week. We have so many young players and for a lot of them, it is their first finals. It has been a lot of mental energy expended by these guys for the last month or so."

The visit to Boulder will be a first for Samford. The Bulldogs will make the most of their trip, playing two games in two days. Samford will open against Denver on Wednesday.

"They [Samford] are good," Payne added. "We opened our season there last year. We were down 17 points and had a comeback win. They are a really good, disciplined ballclub."

The Buffs and Bulldogs met to open the season last year. CU got down early in the game but used a 34-point fourth quarter to complete its comeback, 71-60. Quinessa Caylao-Do led the Buffs with 18 points. Annika Jank scored 16 points in her collegiate debut. Robinson rounded out CU's top scorers with 16 points.

Samford is off to a 3-8 start this season, having lost its last three games. The Bulldogs lead the Southern Conference with its 6.8 3-pointers per game. Natalie Armstrong leads the team in scoring (8.4) while Charity Brown ranks ninth in the NCAA with 64 assists.

Promotions: Thursday's game is Throwback Thursday. We will be celebrating the 1960s throughout the night and giving away a retro Ralphie pennant.

Thursday's game will be streamed on Colorado Live Stream channel. Fans can listen to the Buffs all season long on AM 630 (KHOW).
"

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/12/18/Samford.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2248&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Samford is 3-8 on the season with wins over Rhodes College, Alabama State and Presbyterian. P5 losses to Oklahoma State (62-82) and Auburn (46-73). They're at DU tomorrow morning. Yes, tomorrow morning.

Not sure this is the caliber of opponent to prepare the Buffs for conference play. On the other hand, the Buffs have just finished finals, so they probably aren't 100% mentally and physically.

Samford beat Denver in OT 87-83 earlier today.

I don't think teams of this caliber prepare the Buffs for the Pac, nor do all the home games in the non-conference part of the schedule prepare the team for the Pac. Yes, they have traveled. There is a lot of traveling to come in January and February.

Forgot to mention that there is a "stocking stuffing" promo for this and the upcoming home conference games. For this game there is a $5 general admission ticket.

After the Sanford game the Buffs have 10 days off till they play Utah to start conference play.

Samford coach goes apoplectic and calls a quick 2nd quarter timeout after his team gives up some quick Buff layups. Buffs up 30-13 with ~8 minutes left in the half.

Buffs went cold the 2nd half of the 2nd, with a lot of 3's going up and not enough going in (3-14 overall), but still have a 37-24 lead at the half.

Edit- just want to note my score in this post is correct. Mr. Howell's tweet above has samford with 10 too many points.

Last edited:
With about 6 minutes left and a 64-31 lead, Leonard and Robinson subbed out, with the former at 7 assists. Assuming she doesn't come back in, Looks like Leonard will only be a few assists from becoming the all-time Buff leader in that stat when they face the Utes a few days (edit) before new year's. (It's now 73-33 with about 3 minutes to go.)

Last edited:
Took care of business. On to the Pac-12 schedule. Gonna be a battle royal in conference play this year. Really good and deep league.

For the middle part of the game the Buffs looked like they had just come off of finals. Sanford looked like a time that had played a game at altitude about 30 hours earlier and then was playing another at altitude. They launched a lot of bricks. By the end of the third quarter Sanford was just physically taken out of the game.

Again, this level of opponent will do nothing to prepare the Buffs for the Pac 12. Hopefully next November and December they will schedule more quality opponents and more away games.

Peanut is a really leader on the floor. The Buffs played a 2-3 zone the entire game and when she was in she was very vocal in organizing on noticing what Sanford was trying to do. On offense she is really good at getting herself in position to get baskets and is relaxed in the low post with her quick moves to the basket.

Cam Swartz had showed a lot of potential on both ends of the court in her minutes. She really reads the game well especially with the ball in her hands. One of her baskets came off two quick dribbles and a pull up jumper at the foul line. She is definitely able to score with contact. On the other end she is a pest and was able to get a three steals.

Kai Volcy had 5 rebounds in her 11 minutes.

Utah will be the first conference foe in 10 days. They are 10-0 with P5 wins over Alabama and Florida.

So what are the expectations for this team for pac 12 play? 6th to 8th?

I haven't looked too closely at the rest of the conference, but that's probably a reasonable range (at least from the outside). (I'm sure the team hopes and plans to go 18-0, and I'm all for it.)

For what it's worth (usually not much), they were picked in the preseason poll to finish 9th (https://pac-12.com/article/2018/10/09/oregon-voted-pac-12-womens-basketball-preseason-favorite), which was where they finished last year (with a 5-13 conference record). However, mainly based on what some of the younger players have already shown and, hopefully, the continued improvement of the veterans, vs. them only losing a couple seniors from last season, I'd hope they'd end up being better than 9th.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Article after tonight's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/20/womens-basketball-buffs-slam-door-on-non-conference-play.aspx

"
BOULDER–A fast start and solid defense led to a second consecutive 40-point win for the University of Colorado women's basketball team on Thursday. The Buffaloes controlled the game from the start, capping the non-conference season with an 81-39 win over Samford.

CU improves to 10-1 on the season and a perfect 8-0 at home. Samford, playing their second game in 24 hours, falls to 4-9.

Colorado's youth led the way. Freshman Emma Clarke led the team in scoring with 12 points off the bench. Classmate Peanut Tuitele registered the first double-double of her career, closing with 10 points and a season-high 12 rebounds.

Stat Leaders: CU had four players score double figures. Sophomore Mya Hollingshed and junior Quinessa Caylao-Do each added 11 points, joining Clarke and Tuitele. Senior Alexis Robinson helped provide offense early on, wrapping her night with eight points. Kennedy Leonard finished with a game-high seven assists.

Paige Serup and Ta'Naisha Hill led Samford with nine points apiece.

How it Happened: Colorado's offense provided the early cushion, leading by 13 after the first quarter. Samford cut the lead down to 10 in the second, but would not get any closer. The Buffs regained the 13 point lead at halftime and outscored the Bulldogs 44-15 in the final 20 minutes.

Key Statistic: Colorado matched its season-high with 50 points in the paint. The Buffs outscored Samford by 40 underneath the basket. CU did most of its damage with 30 points in the paint in the second half alone.

Notes: Colorado has held opponents to under 40 points in back-to-back games (38 vs Prairie View A&M)…the 42-point win is the largest margin of victory this season...CU's 13-point lead after the first quarter was the largest of the season…CU's 26 fourth-quarter points matches the most points scored in a quarter this season (Utah State 1st Q, North Carolina 3rd Q)…Colorado had a season-high 19 steals, tied for the fifth-most in program history…also registered season-highs in field goals made (34) field goals attempted (75)…all 12 available players got on the scoreboard for the first time this season…Leonard now has 609 career assists, four away from tying CU's all-time record…she is now tied for 12 in school history with 104 career starts.

Up Next: Colorado breaks for the holidays next week. The Buffs will return to action on Dec. 30, opening conference play at home against Utah.

Postgame Quotes:
Head Coach JR Payne
Overall thoughts
"I thought it was a really good game for us tonight. There are always areas that we can continue to get better. I love the fact that we have played back-to-back really complete, good basketball games where everyone had a chance to contribute. We saw a lot of productivity off the bench tonight which was fantastic—and just overall great team effort. It feels good going into Pac-12 play on that note."

On Colorado's shot selection
"I think the times when we were cold—we will go back and watch the film and see that we were settling for a lot of jumpers. I thought when we were more aggressive at the basket and getting the ball inside, shooting more rhythm shots—I thought we were knocking those down more effectively. I think that is something as a young ball club, we can learn from."

On being pleased with the team's play
"I should be, right? We had 37 points at halftime. I was frustrated going in at halftime but I have to continue to try to find the positives. You look at the stat sheet and there are a lot of positives to be found. Two of them sitting right here beside me [Emma Clarke and Peanut Tuitele]—to have that type of productivity from such a young group. We have to keep getting better. Our opponents are going to keep getting better, as are we. We are excited about Pac-12."

On moving into Pac-12 play
"It is still basketball. They play five players at a time just like us. It is just that those players will probably be a little bit bigger, maybe a little bit better. We have played a really good preseason. We have a really strong RPI right now, which tells you we have played really good teams in our preseason. We are coming in playing good basketball. I would hate to have a 10-1 record and come in kind of limping into conference play and not feel really good about how we are playing—which certainly is not the case. It is going to be the same thing. It [the routine] is going to be scout, learn the opponent, what do they do? and what do we want to do to take advantage of? We will take it by a day-by-day approach."

"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=12434

These games have not done a lot towards getting the team ready for the type of competition they will play in the Pac. Yes, picked 9th. I'm hoping they can finish higher.

JR never gives up on her team and the players seems to listen to what the coaching staff requests of them.

I especially hope for Kennedy and Lexi, that they get to a post season. They will have to pull off some big time upsets to get to the Dance, but might be able to get in to the WNIT.

Little worried about Pac 12 play. I do not think they are prepared. I am worried about peanut and if she is big enough to battle down low. They have to resist the temptation shoot quick 3s. That is when there offense bogs down. I predict 8th place finish. Still do not see they talent needed to play in the PAC 12

Back