What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #19 lacrosse hosts #18 Stanford (Friday, 3:00) and Cal (Sunday, noon)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
It's conference time, as the Buffs open the season hosting the Bay Area schools this weekend, with Friday's game against #18 Stanford the 1st scheduled lax game in Pac 12 history.

As I mentioned in the last game thread, the Stanford game is probably the biggest of the year (so far), as the teams look to be VERY closely ranked, and I'd assume the odds are that the Pac, at most, will earn one at-large berth into the NCAA tournament. Therefore, any game between the 3 Pac favorites (with #12 ranked USC the 3rd) will be important.

Note- hadn't thought to look before, but it looks like, with Utah not having a lacrosse team, that the Buffs have the (improving) Oregon Ducks as their "travel partner"/ designated rival in the 6 team Pac, at least this season. (The Bay Area schools (naturally) partnered together, with USC and ASU being the other teams "paired" together for lacrosse only.)

Go Buffs!

Preview -

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/7/la...ay-against-no-18-stanford-and-california.aspx

"
BOULDER — The inaugural Pac-12 Conference Women's Lacrosse season will official kick off this weekend for the Colorado Buffaloes as they take on a pair of conference foes. CU will host No. 18 Stanford on Friday, March 9, at 3 p.m., and on Sunday, March 11, the Buffs will host California at 12 p.m. Both games will take place at Kittredge Field.

Admission is free, as is parking in Lot 416. Overflow parking is available in the RG Zone next to the Coors Events Center (just off of Regent Dr. and Colorado Ave).

HOW TO WATCH: Links to the free live stream and live stats are available at CUBuffs.com.

ABOUT THE BUFFS: Colorado is ranked 19th in the IWLCA Preseason poll, as well as 15th in the Cascade/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and 20th in the NIKE/U.S. Lacrosse Magazine Poll. The Buffs are 3-2 to start the season and have won the last two games, which includes an 18-3 victory over then-No. 19 Virginia Tech.

ABOUT STANFORD: Stanford enters the week ranked 18th in the IWLCA Poll and is 19th in the Cascade/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll. The Cardinal owns a 3-2 record, which includes a win last week against then-No. 16 Duke (15-5).

Kelsey Murray has a team-high 24 points this season with 11 goals and 13 assists. She was named the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week after recording five goals and eight assists in a pair of wins against Duke and Elon last weekend. Ali Baiocco has recorded 13 goals and two assists for 15 points this season.

Julia Massaro has won 23 of SU's 85 draw controls and has recorded 12 ground balls. In goal, Allie DeCar has earned a 3-2 record. She has allowed 51 goals for a 10.59 goals against average. DeCar has also recorded a .452 save percentage in 288:49 minutes played. DeCar was named the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week after stopping 20 shots and allowing just 15 goals against Duke and Elon last weekend.

ABOUT CALIFORNIA: Cal has recorded a 4-2 record to start the season. The Bears are 2-1 at home and 2-1 on the road. The Buffs and Bears have both played San Diego State this season. CU defeated the Aztecs 17-12, while Cal lost 11-12.

Kirsten Swanson leads the Bears with 19 points this season with a team-best 15 goals. Eliza Christman is second on the team with 13 goals. She also has two assists for 15 points. Meredith Haggerty has recorded eight caused turnovers this season. She has also tallied 20 draw controls and 15 ground balls.

Elizabeth Koehler has 26 draw controls this season in addition to 13 ground balls and six caused turnovers. Jenny Wilkens has started all six games in goal for the Bears. She has allowed 52 goals for an 8.76 goals against average and has stopped 47 shots for a .475 save percentage.

PROMOTIONS: The first 250 fans receive a free pink CU lacrosse wristband for the game against Stanford on Friday, March 9.

UP NEXT: The Buffs head back on the road for a pair of conference games. They will take on Southern California on Friday, March 16, and on Sunday, March 18, CU will take on Arizona State for the first time in program history.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

Live Video (Both games) - http://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Stats (Both games) - http://www.sidearmstats.com/cu/wlax/

Best of wishes to the lax team on game day- may they start the Pac 12 lacrosse era STRONG!

This could be a preview of the Pac-12 Championship title game.

After getting up 4-3, Buffs hitting a rough patch and are down 4-8. TO Buffs with around 11 minutes left in the 1st half.

Buffs starting the 2nd half strong and have halved the tree lead to 9-12 with 24 minutes still remaining.

TO Buffs with the 2 goal lead, the ball, and 2:12 left in regulation. (50 seconds left on the shot clock.)

Article on today's BIG win!-

Direct link - http://admin.cubuffs.com/news/2018/...halftime-deficit-to-shock-no-18-stanford.aspx

"
BOULDER – After trailing 12-6 heading into halftime on Friday afternoon, the 19th-ranked Colorado Buffaloes outscored No. 18 Stanford 12-4 in the second half to stun the Cardinal with a thrilling 18-16 victory in the first-ever Pac-12 Conference game at Kittredge Field.

The win is the second straight against a top-20 opponent for the Buffs as they improved to 4-2 overall and earned their first ever Pac-12 game. Stanford is now 3-3 overall and 0-1 in league action.

LARGEST COMEBACK: The Buffs trailed the Cardinal 12-5 late in the first half and came back to defeat Stanford 18-16. The seven-goal deficit is the largest CU has ever overcome in a win. The previous record had been five against Michigan. CU trailed 11-6 on March 22, 2015 to the Wolverines and came back to defeat them 14-13 in double-overtime.

NOTABLE:
  • This was the first ever game in Pac-12 Conference history. Oregon is scheduled to host California at 7 p.m. MT and Southern California will host Arizona State on Saturday, March 10, at 1 p.m. MT.
  • The Buffs have now won 13 straight games at Kittredge Field, dating back to the 2016 season.
  • CU has now won the last three meetings between the two teams, but Stanford leads the all-time series 6-3.
  • Madi Wifall earned her first career start.
  • Anna Collawn tallied her first career goal, which was also the first goal in the history of the Pac-12 Conference. Darby Kiernan had the assist, which is also the first in Pac-12 history.
  • Kiernan scored five goals in the win, marking the third time this season she has done so.
  • This is the most goals scored between Stanford and Colorado. The second most was 30 in 2015; Stanford won the game 16-14 in Boulder.
  • This was also the CU record for most combined goals in a game at 34.
  • The previous record for combined goals in a game is 33, which was set on Feb. 15, 2015 against Jacksonville. JU won 20-13.
  • CU has now won three straight after starting the season 1-2.

UP NEXT: Colorado heads back on the road after three weeks at home. The Buffs will start off in Los Angeles against Southern California on March 16 at 4 p.m. MT. Then on Sunday, March 18, CU will face Arizona State for the first time at 12 p.m. in Tempe, Ariz.

QUOTEABLE:
Head Coach Ann Elliott
On the Comeback In The Second Half

"I think for us it's just about sticking to our game plan and doing the little things. It took us awhile to get into the game. I think in terms of fifty-fifty balls, defensively just making stops. Once we were able to do that, once we got some more draw controls and possessions, I thought we did a good job of executing both ends of the field."

On the Draw Controls
"I think the difference with our team overall is your back is against the wall a little bit and you start committing to all the little things you need to do for sixty minutes. I think in terms of draws, Stanford is a tough team. They are physical, fast, and they were just beating us to the ball every ball. In the second half I thought we did a better job in our set up. A better job of putting ourselves into a position to come up with some of those fifty-fifty balls and offensively just being aggressive. When we had the ball I thought we were able to convert."

On the First Ever Pac-12 Game
"In all honestly, I don't know if anyone on our team knew it was the first Pac-12 game in the beginning. I think we were just focused on playing a great team in Stanford and coming out here and competing in our first Pac-12 game. Obviously it's a conference game and conference is huge for us so for us it's a big win. We know we have to be better and we need to rebound quickly for Sunday."

On The Play of Julia Lisella:
"I thought Julia did a great job of staying in the game especially mentally. I think as a team when you let in twelve goals in the first half it's hard. It is hard to stay in it. Our team continued to stay in it and focused on doing the little things. I thought Julia did too and she came up with some huge saves for us down the stretch."
"
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box Score - http://admin.cubuffs.com/documents/2018/3/9//3_9_18_Stanford.pdf

Highlights (featuring Darby Kiernan interview) -

Game has started, and Kiernan gets the Buffs on the board 1st about 1-1/2 minutes in.

Damn. I thought this one was at 3 (read it incorrectly). I was hoping to walk down and see it.

Buffs dominating this one- up 9-1 with around 10-1/2 minutes left in the half. TO Cal.

Kiernan and Stinson already with hat tricks. Didn't hear it clearly, but I believe announcer and PA announcer said that, with the last goal by Kiernan, she's become the Buffs all-time leader in points. Congrats to her!

I left just before half because I'm a bad dad, hadn't realized it was only 40 degrees out, and had Nik Jr in a short sleeve t-shirt without a coat.

Article on the win. (With the next 4 games on the road, including the 1st being against pre-season Pac champion pick and #12 ranked USC, Buffs with a fun opportunity to prove their mettle away from home cooking.)

Direct link - http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/3/11/l...-points-record-as-buffs-power-past-bears.aspx

"
BOULDER – Senior Darby Kiernan became Colorado's all-time career points leader on Sunday afternoon as the 19th-ranked Buffaloes cruised past the California Bears, 15-5, at Kittredge Field.

Kiernan entered the game with 216 points after scoring eight on Friday against Stanford. She tied former teammate Johnna Fusco's record (218) with her second goal of the day and her third goal put her in the lead. She tallied four more points (three goals and one assist) and currently has 223 points.

The Buffs are now 2-0 to start Pac-12 Conference play and are 5-2 overall. Cal is now 4-4 this season and is 0-2 to start the conference season.

NOTABLE:
  • CU has now won four straight after starting the season 1-2.
  • The Buffs have now won 14 straight games at Kittredge Field, dating back to the 2016 season.
  • In total, CU has won 15 home games in that span as the Buffs also hosted Oregon on March 19, 2017, in the Indoor Practice facility.
  • The 15 home wins ties the ninth best home win streak in NCAA history.
  • For the third straight game, Julia Lisella has recorded 10 or more saves.
  • Four Buffs have scored at least one point in every game this season: Sophie Castillo, Samantha Nemirov, Darby Kiernan and Miranda Stinson.

UP NEXT: Colorado heads back on the road after three weeks at home. The Buffs will start off in Los Angeles against Southern California on March 16 at 4 p.m. MT. Then on Sunday, March 18, CU will face Arizona State for the first time at 12 p.m. in Tempe, Ariz.

QUOTEABLE:
Head Coach Ann Elliott
On four wins in a row-

"I think that we are feeling pretty good about where we are at. We know that we have to get better, keep getting some more experience and cleaning up a few things, especially today, just a few turnovers and missed opportunities. I think that overall we are excited about where we are at and we are ready to get on the road."

On beginning conference play-
"I think that conference games are so important. It is about winning in your conference and competing in your conference, so to be 2-0 is great, but we know that it is a long road ahead. We have ten conference games, so we have a lot going on. Heading into USC, I think that we are confident in where we are at right now and the progress that we have made over the last couple of weeks, but we know that they are a great team and that it is going to be a really tough battle. We have a lot of work this week."

On Darby Kiernan's scoring ability-
"Darby is obviously an incredible player on the field, I think she is an incredible teammate too. She is unselfish, I think that the last thing she cares about is breaking any record. She just wants to go out there and compete as hard as she can for her team. She wants to do the little things and she is being very aggressive this year which is exciting and I think that we are pleased with where we are at. We know that she can get better and we can get better as well offensively."

On Julia Lisella's fourth start in net-
"I think that down there defensively we have been doing a better job as a whole competing and playing together. I think that Julia has been making some big saves for us and making the saves that we need her to make. We have been forcing the shots we need to force. So overall we are excited about where we are at, but again we know that we have a long way to go and we have to keep getting better in all positions."
"
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Highlights (featuring interview with Julia Lisella)-

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

From Coach Elliott's quote above, doesn't sound like Ms. Kiernan cares, but with her becoming the new all-time Buffs points leader, I was curious where she stood in the Buff record books in the individual components that make up total points:

Julia Lisella was also pac 12 defensive player of the week! On my phone so couldn’t tag the tweet.

Julia Lisella was also pac 12 defensive player of the week! On my phone so couldn’t tag the tweet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, Buffs now ranked #14 nationally in one poll and #15 in 2-

"
BOULDER — The Colorado lacrosse team moved up in all three polls this week after starting the Pac-12 Conference season with a pair of victories.

The 5-2 Buffaloes, who have won their last four straight games after starting the season 1-2, moved up one spot to 14th in the Cascade/Inside Lacrosse media poll, which is the highest of the three rankings this week. CU is also 15th in the other two polls. The Buffs moved up from 19th to 15th in the IWLCA poll and jumped up from 20th to 15th in the NIKE/US Lacrosse Magazine poll.

The Pac-12 Conference has two other schools ranked in the polls this week. Southern California is ranked 12th in the IWLCA and USL polls for its highest rankings, while Stanford's best position is 18th in the media poll.

This week the Buffs will head out on the road for a pair of league contests. They will start on Friday, March 16, with a game against Southern California in Los Angeles. CU will then travel to Tempe, Ariz. for its first ever meeting against the Arizona State Sun Devils on Sunday, March 18.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also wanted to note that the Buffs' BIG 18-3 win over Virginia Tech is looking better and better right now as a BIG "resume builder" if the Buffs need to earn an at-large berth into the NCAA tourney. Since their walloping by the Buffs, VT's rebounded very well and have beaten two ranked teams ((now IWLCA) #22 DU and #21 Notre Dame), so are still pretty highly ranked themselves (IWLCA #18).

Back