What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - Women's Bball hosting Dixie State (Friday, 12/3/21, 7:00 PM MT) and visiting Southern Utah (Tues., 6:30 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Before a relatively long (I assume finals related?) 10 day break between games, women's basketball (7-0, 0-0 in Pac 12 play) has a couple games upcoming, one home and one away, hosting the Dixie State Trailblazers (2-4, out of St. George, Utah) tomorrow (Friday) evening at the CUEC starting at 7:00 PM MT, followed by a quick road trip TO Utah (Cedar City) to face off against the Southern Utah Thunderbirds (2-4) Tuesday evening.

Tomorrow's game is scheduled to be viewable via free live stream, while Tuesday's is on ESPN+. (More detail and links near the bottom of this post.)

(Obviously very early in the season, but for what it's worth, the Massey ratings currently have CU at #30 (out of 356 D1 schools), while the Trailblazers are at #348 and the Thunderbirds are #247.)

Go Buffs!

(There are no cubuffs previews available as I type this. They will be added in a later post when I see them.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links to get more info on the opponents-

Dixie State:
Roster
- https://dixiestateathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://dixiestateathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-2022
Schedule - https://dixiestateathletics.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article -
Southern Utah:
Roster
- https://suutbirds.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://suutbirds.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2021-22
Schedule - https://suutbirds.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/2021-22
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Vs. Dixie State:
Live video
-Free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs .
Live Stats - Live audio -Free audio stream for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2594&type=Live . (Assume it may also be available on 850 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area, and other stations that are part of the Buffs Radio Network.)
Games notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2021/12/2//Dixie_State.pdf?id=23260

Vs. Southern Utah:
Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown live on an ESPN+ live stream. For those who have a qualifying subscription, it looks to be available through a link at https://www.espn.com/watch/catalog/...d=29461&sourceCollection=Browse_by_Conference come gametime.
Live Stats - Live audio - Free audio stream for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2596&type=Live. (Assume it may also be available on 850 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area, and other stations that are part of the Buffs Radio Network.)
Games notes - Not available as I type this.

Game day!

Game preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/12/2/womens-basketball-buffs-host-dixie-state.aspx

"
BOULDER—This week for Colorado women's basketball has been relatively calm compared to its previous five games in 10 days. The Buffaloes host Dixie State for the first time in program history for their lone game of the weekend.

Friday's tip is set for 7 p.m. MT against the Trailblazers. The game is the sixth and final game of CU's opening homestand.

The Buffs went 7-0 in November, including a perfect 5-0 mark at the CU Events Center. Colorado's success in the opening month is nothing new in the JR Payne era. CU is nearly perfect in November, boasting a 34-1 record since Payne took the helm.

Colorado ran through its competition since returning to Boulder. The Buffs have outscored its opponents at home by an average of 21.6 points per game.

"I think we really just want to keep getting better," head coach JR Payne explained. "We have won games and that's fantastic, but every time we turn on the film we see areas that we really need to improve on to compete. We're really trying to focus on those things. Executing with more detail. Being disciplined in our defense finishes. Boxing out and finishing plays. Those types of things. We see a lot of holes that we still need to continue to better."

Defensively, the Buffs have been hard to beat. Colorado ranks 10th in the nation in scoring defense, keeping teams to a below 50-point scoring average (49.3). No. 7 Arizona, the only other undefeated team in the Pac-12, leads the nation at 47.9.

"I don't think T [Toriano Towns] has coached our defense any differently," Payne added. "I don't think the language or the philosophies are any different. I just think we have more veterans that know what it's supposed to look like. I think anytime you can have some success in a certain area, it breeds confidence and then it can kind of take on a realm of its own. I think we're very confident defensively right now."

Dixie State (2-4) is a program that is very new to the Division I landscape. The Blazers made the jump to Western Athletic Conference last season from the DII ranks but played just three games before having its season called off on Jan. 5, due to COVID concerns.

This season the Trailblazers have had mixed results that include an 84-35 loss to the No. 9 Oregon. Junior Breaunna Gillen leads DSU with her 17.3 points per game. Dixie State leads the WAC with 213 3-point field goal attempts this season, a number that would rank 11th in the nation if the Blazers were eligible for national stat rankings.

"They take a lot of 3's," Payne added. "They have a bunch of kids that can really shoot the ball. They are also good in transition. They don't necessarily play with a traditional post player. There's not going to be a big 6-3 physical kid at the block, but that will challenge our post players to guard the perimeter and move our feet. We want to make sure we don't give up uncontested shots. Uncontested shots against these guys can go from three to six to nine very quickly."

Friday's game will be streamed online at CUBuffs.com/WatchWBB. Cory Lopez will be on the call across the Colorado Radio Network and the Varsity Network app. Pregame coverage starts at 6:30 p.m.
"

Excited that the Buffs have won all their games, but man this schedule isn't exactly prepping them for the level of competition they'll face in conference.

I have been saying this all along. So they are undefeated. It doesn't mean as much as it would if we were playing some games against teams comparable to the Pac teams. We have not played one game like that.

Not to rip too badly on CU's opponents thus far, but Is it difficult to schedule OOC games with better teams? It seems like JR would want to have a few.

Not to rip too badly on CU's opponents thus far, but Is it difficult to schedule OOC games with better teams? It seems like JR would want to have a few.
I assume we're all fine with OK State, Wisconsin, LA Tech and Marquette. The problem is the number of teams without much of a pulse that were put on this schedule. On that note, I'm good with the upcoming SMU & San Fran games since both are used to playing against Power 6 conference opponents and compete in good mid-major conferences.

I have been watching a lot of the ACC/B1G and SEC/Big12 games. The Pac needs to get something like that going. We have the Pac-12/B1G for volleyball.

That would get some quality teams on the schedule.

At the end of the game prior to this @raoul on Twitter put out a tweet, without naming schools, that all undefeated teams are not created equal. That was just after the CU media team put out undefeated and 7-0. It was pretty obvious which team that was directed at.

I assume we're all fine with OK State, Wisconsin, LA Tech and Marquette. The problem is the number of teams without much of a pulse that were put on this schedule. On that note, I'm good with the upcoming SMU & San Fran games since both are used to playing against Power 6 conference opponents and compete in good mid-major conferences.
I’m very OK with those games Nik but just wish there were a few more like that. This year’s team can be really good but the conference will be very tough again, as you know.

been impressed with Wetta and Blacksten this year. If they can contuse to play like this it will give CU some depth. Scheduling is tough. I know CU coaches complain a lot of teams will not do a home and away with CU. it would be great if the pac 12 could get a tourney with another p5 conference but other 4 all ready have things going. I still think they need to set more games up with Neb, Kansas, OU and teams like that that actually recruit the state and are somewhat close. Teams east of the Mississippi are tough to get to come to Boulder

Jenny Baranczyk is the head coach at Oklahoma now. She brought her Drake team to CU. Hopefully she will be up for a home/home series.
Texas Tech came in for Volleyball and it was a fun match. I would think some of the old big 12 teams would come for a home and home

Preview before tomorrow evening's game. (As noted in the below article, the Buffs are now #25 ranked.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/12/6/womens-basketball-freshly-minted-no-25-buffs-hit-the-road.aspx

"
CEDAR CITY, Utah—The newly appointed No. 25 Colorado Buffaloes are back on the road for the first time in six games to take on Southern Utah on Tuesday.

Colorado (8-0) learned of its updated ranking, just minutes before boarding its flight to Southern Utah on Monday. CU's ranking marks the first time the Buffs have appeared in the AP Top 25 since Dec. 26, 2016. CU was ranked for five consecutive weeks in that 2016-17 season, Payne's first at CU.

"We're honored to be considered one of the better teams in the country," head coach JR Payne commented. "I think we're certainly working towards being that team, but we have a long ways to go. We're really more focused on what we're doing every day to get better to attack our weaknesses and keep growing as a ballclub."

Tuesday's also will mark Payne's first trip back to Southern Utah. Payne was the Thunderbirds' head coach for five seasons, spanning from 2009-14. Payne was the SUU coach the last time the Buffs and T-Birds matched up in the 2014 WNIT in Boulder. Colorado owns a 4-0 record against the Thunderbirds.

"Cedar City was home to T [Toriano Towns], Jill [Mahoney] and I for five years," Payne explained. "We won a [Big Sky] championship there and have great memories. We love that place. We love the community. A lot of people that are close like family will come to the game and it will be fun to be back there.'

Southern Utah (4-4) is on a four-game winning streak, turning around an 0-4 start to the season. The Thunderbirds are coming off an 87-65 win over Idaho, where the team went 9-for-17 from 3-point range.

"They're [Southern Utah] a good basketball team," Payne added. "They've had a lot of success. They hardly ever lose in that building. They're very well-coached. It's going to be fun to be back, but we better be ready because it'll be a battle."

The tie-ins between the Payne and the Thunderbirds continue.

SUU head coach Tracy Sanders was a teammate of Payne's at Saint Mary's. The two played together from 1996-99, helping the Gaels earn their first trip to the NCAA Tournament in school history during the 1998-99 season.

Tuesday's game (6:30 p.m. MT) will be broadcast on ESPN+. Cory Lopez will have the call on the Colorado Radio Network and the Varsity Network app starting at 6 p.m. MT.
"

This was a game that was never in doubt. Buffs totally outmatched Southern Utah. I'm betting JR said the team did not always play consistently because that was true.

I haven't looked at the final minutes each player played but the bench was used liberally. There were times she subbed in/out 5 players.

If they continue to shoot like they did last night, they will be very tough to beat. Still struggling at the charity stripe though. I'm going to the SMU game. Can't wait to see this team in person!

Watched the Iowa/Iowa State game last night. Both teams are shooting over 85% from the free throw line for the season and are 1 and 2 on the NCAA list in free throw shooting. I don't expect that to happen but can we get to 75%?

Watched the Iowa/Iowa State game last night. Both teams are shooting over 85% from the free throw line for the season and are 1 and 2 on the NCAA list in free throw shooting. I don't expect that to happen but can we get to 75%?
As long as you can hit 70% overall, you've got no worries as long as your end game ball handlers are money from the stripe.

As long as you can hit 70% overall, you've got no worries as long as your end game ball handlers are money from the stripe.

That is one of our problems. Sherrod has not shot free throws well this season.

Sometimes the offensive/defensive substitutions can't get made in the flow of the game.

Back