What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's bball hosts #21 ASU (Friday, 2/21, 7:00 PM MT) & #11 Arizona (SENIOR DAY, Sunday, noon MT)

Missed this game. So happy for them. If you don't see the improvement of this team you are blind.

Now the real question comes. Can Payne recruit better?

This team is so improved over last year's team and they are a TEAM. No big star, don't seem to care who gets the most points each game. They work together. From the observations of an outsider, they seem to enjoy each other.

Nobody is worrying about their stats. Just get the job done. They got the job done.

JR, Mya or Aubs did not hide their emotions in the presser and no need to. They earned this happy afternoon. Happy it was on Q's Senior Day.

Last edited:
Article on and highlights of today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/2/23/womens-basketball-buffs-take-down-no-11-arizona.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Colorado women's basketball team has had its close calls this season against ranked opponents, but finally got over the hump on Sunday. The Buffaloes picked up their first win over an Associated Press ranked opponent since the start of the 2016-17 season, defeating No. 11/11 Arizona 50-38.

Defense was the name of the game at the CU Events Center. The Buffs held Arizona, who entered the day averaging 70.0 points per game, to the lowest scoring output by a ranked opponent in CU history. Colorado limited Arizona to 24.5 percent shooting (13-53), its lowest showing of the season.

The win pushes the Buffs to 16-11 overall in their final regular-season home game of the season. CU now sits at 5-11 in Pac-12 play and will close out the regular season on the road next week.

Freshman Jaylyn Sherrod led the Buffs with 12 points in the win. She also had seven rebounds and four assists, tying Shelley Sheetz for third on CU's freshman assist list with 142. Junior Mya Hollingshed snagged a career-high 13 rebounds to go with her eight points. Senior Quinessa Caylao-Do scored four points in her final regular-season home game.

Arizona drops to 22-5 on the season and 11-5 in conference play. Amari Carter led the Wildcats with 12 points.

KEY MOMENT: Colorado went just 1-for-14 from behind the arc on Sunday, but the one was the biggest shot of the day. Hollingshed's 3-pointer gave the Buffs a six-point lead with 2:08 to go. It was the last field goal of the game as Arizona was forced to foul the rest of the way. CU finished 6-for-8 from the free-throw line in the final 1:08.

NOTES: The win was CU's first vs. an AP top-11 ranked team since upsetting No. 8 Oregon State, 68-65, in the 2015 Pac-12 Tournament (3/6/15)…It was CU's first win vs a ranked opponent (AP or WBCA) since No. 24 Miami (67-61, 11/18/17)…Arizona's 38 points were the fewest by a CU opponent since Prairie View A&M (38) last season (12/12/18)...Arizona's 19 points at halftime were also the fewest since holding Prairie View A&M to 12…CU was held to under 20 points in the first half for the first time since scoring 17 against Arizona State at the Pac-12 Tournament last season (3/7/19)…Knight's eight rebounds push her over 300 for her career (303)…Colorado outrebounded Arizona 48-27 (+21)…the Buffs doubled up Arizona in second-chance points, 14-7…CU still struggled from the free-throw line, shooting just 52.0 percent (13-25)…CU turned the ball over 16 times, leading to 16 Arizona points.

NEXT UP: CU closes out the regular season next week in Los Angeles. The Buffs will head to No. 8/7 UCLA and then finish up across town with Southern California on Sunday.

Quotes
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall thoughts
"I don't even know if I can find the words to express how proud of these guys I am. I always come in here and say that I am proud of them and I really am, no matter what the box score says, just because we have such a great group of young women on our team. The close games that we have been in and have not ended up winning, after every game we talk about what we should have [done] and what we are going to do differently. We have been in so many close games against top-10 teams that we haven't come out on top of. The coolest thing for me tonight was to watch our team grow before our eyes as the clock was ticking. They were doing the things that we talked about in our other close games. They are staying together and communicating in ways we have talked about. I am just wildly proud of these guys and so excited for them."

On Finally Closing Out A Close Game
"It is incredible and really hard to describe. I don't know if it would feel as good if we hadn't had such heartbreaking losses. To see us grow in ways we know we are capable of, and to really finish the game, was pretty awesome."

On Colorado's Defensive Performance
"We know that we are capable of being a great defensive ball club. Somebody just told us that this is the lowest point total in the history of Colorado basketball against a ranked opponent. 25 years ago, we held a ranked opponent (No.23 Kansas) to 44 points. It shows that we are really capable of defending. I think these guys will use that moving forward to know that when we need to get a stop and if we dig in and communicate, we really can get stops."

On What the Win Means for the Program
"It means a lot to us. It meant a lot to be at Stanford, when they were No. 6 in the country, and take them to overtime. It meant a lot when they were No. 8 in the country, and we should have had that game here and [ No. 8] UCLA here. All those games meant a lot for our growth as a program. To be able to finish one out and win it is huge. For these guys to do it on Senior Night, for a senior [Caylao-Do] that they really, truly love, is neat as well."
"

Highlights -

Pac 12 Network interview -

Just wanted to say BIG congrats to Oregon great Sabrina Ionescu at becoming (while fighting through sickness tonight and what I'm sure was a very emotional day) the 1st D1 player to ever total 2,000 points and 1,000 assists and rebounds over her career!

Last edited:
Back