What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How should CU schedule for football?

What type of schedule do you prefer for CU?

• High Difficulty (iron sharpens iron)

• Medium Difficulty (give the team a break or 2)

• Low Difficulty (Cupcake City = Winning Seasons)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This year, we are playing 11 P5 opponents. Almost no one does that.

As a program trying to get back to being an annual bowl participant while also needing to create matchups that keep our tv ratings up for this realignment rollercoaster, what should RG be emphasizing?

1. First, we have USC and UCLA joining the B1G in 2024. Along with that is the current P12 will start a new media deal in 2024. Kliavkoff said he prefers an 8-game conference schedule and it would be likely to start in 2024. K has also said he's looking to do only 5-6 years for a new deal and GOR, so I'm going to keep this to 2024-2029 seasons.

I'm going to assume that in 2024 we will have a Pac-14 that plays a 3-5-5 schedule since that's what the ACC did. ESPN must have liked that setup, so it probably gets implemented here too.

So, first assumption for scheduling is 8 conference games with 4 home and 4 away starting in 2024.

2. Next, we need to decide whether we are going to be a "we'll play anyone, anywhere, any time" type program, a "we're padding wins and maximizing home dates" type program, or something in between.

I think we have to be balanced due to the competing needs of attracting eyeballs and being a consistent winner. That leads into #3.

3. Last, we have to consider the OOC games that RG has already booked and how to best fill this out with the extra games that would be needed.

My preference is a balanced schedule that plays to exposure for recruiting for the potential TV "A" matchups we'd expect to win around 1/3 of (current state of program) and emphasizes local/regional interest games for the rest of the "B/C" matchups we would expect to win 2/3 of the time.

I also want 7 home dates instead of 6 as often as possible.

2024: ND State (H), Nebraska (A), CSU (A)
Recommendation: Can't do 2 FCS teams, so need a bad FBS program to play a 1-off at Folsom. NM State type opponent.

2025: GA Tech (H), Houston (A), Wyoming (H)
Recommendation: FCS opponent at home to play 7 at Folsom and grab a very likely win

2026: GA Tech (A), Houston (H), Northwestern (A)
Recommendation: FCS opponent at home to play 6 at Folsom and grab a very likely win

2027: Colgate (H), Northwestern (H), Kansas State (H)
Recommendation: Good year to try to schedule a decent G5 on the road. AFA, if available, would fit nicely or maybe a UTSA.

2028: UMass (H), Florida (A), Kansas State (A)
Recommendation: Return trip to Boulder from the G5 we played in 2027 to get to 6 Folsom games.

2029: Florida (H), CSU (A)
Recommendation: FCS at home and a fairly weak G5 at home. G5 could include a future game at their place.

I think that's the best we can do if we start getting that extra OOC game. Otherwise, we're locked until 2029.

GK is right IMO on playing 8 league games. No need to play 9 once USC and UCLA go, and frankly there's never been a need to. Another dumbass idea from Champagne Larry.

Assuming we're able to stay together as a conference, Wyoming has a pay day in Boulder coming in 2025, and I'd think they'd be interested in more of those. UNM I would think would be interested in that too.

Last edited:
8 Conference games, regardless whether we are in the PAC Something or a B12 Variant.
2 P5 OOC games
1 G5 OOC game
1 FCS game

During the McCartney era, I was all in on the tough OOC schedules. They had a definite purpose then. Now, with CU sucking and college football evolving, I think the moderate schedule is best for what we are now. Pure cupcake schedule doesn’t do anyone any good IMO.

I acknowledge the schedule has not been the reason for this programs lack of success. A well run program at Colorado should be able to be competitive with a decent OOC schedule.

That said, having a cupcake OOC schedule certainly increases the odds of going bowling and that’s what this program needs to help turn around the perception and narrative.

Yeah, I would much rather have delusions of being good after 3-0 starts and betting on CU instead of being completely beaten down after an 0-3 start and having to fade CU.

CSU, Nebraska, ****tiest School you can find

Not every year, but most years. This brings max value to the AD and CU almost always best CSU and Nebraska
Can Texas state and SJSU be scheduled to keep those TX and CA recruiting lines open and active. Just need a Florida school to keep that line open!

Can Texas state and SJSU be scheduled to keep those TX and CA recruiting lines open and active. Just need a Florida school to keep that line open!
UNLV so we can keep pulling that awesome talent haul out of Nevada!

Let's just go back to eight conference games as suggested earlier. Seven home games a year with eight on occasion.

And go with medium difficulty.

I'd love to say hard schedule like we apparently believe in but you have to commit to having outstanding football if that is the case. If we are going to half-ass it as we do now, give me the cupcake schedule. At least we might find our way to a bowl.

If it meant a national TV game in a prime time slot, I'd support scheduling anyone, in either a neutral site one-off, or a home and home.

Those games build the brand and can be a recruiting selling point.
Not when you lose by 40. There will be a couple of those this year.

Yeah, those kind of games are great if you win or are at least close. But get waxed and they do a lot more damage than good.

While I agree that medium to below medium is good, it’s really f’ing annoying that Air Force, TCU (coming off a 5-7 season with a new coach) and Minn (who lost to bowling green last year) is considered too hard.
It’s not that those teams specifically are too hard, it’s that they are playing 11 P5 games. One of only two teams in the country that are doing it this year (KState the other I think). And their lone non-P5 game is against an academy, which is always a tough matchup for almost all programs, and one that won 10 games last year.

Better get FIU on the schedule before FHCMM has them winning 10 games in like 2027

It’s not that those teams specifically are too hard, it’s that they are playing 11 P5 games. One of only two teams in the country that are doing it this year (KState the other I think). And their lone non-P5 game is against an academy, which is always a tough matchup for almost all programs, and one that won 10 games last year.
Fine. It’s not like EWU or sac state we’re much better for us. I know I’m not being rational but I still argue this isn’t an OOC schedule that should strike fear into anyone. Hard, sure. Murder row? No

Fine. It’s not like EWU or sac state we’re much better for us. I know I’m not being rational but I still argue this isn’t an OOC schedule that should strike fear into anyone. Hard, sure. Murder row? No
Toledo anyone?

I think it really doesn’t matter. Just find someone interesting to sell tickets.

@Da Lama , @Not Sure -- i understand what you're saying but I see it differently. Games are scheduled several years out -- we can't be planning to be at the same level then. I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Beyond big prime time games, I like the local games -- CSU, AFA and I'd be good with Wyoming. The local opponents do generate more interest than most games. I'd also like to see more legacy Big 8 matchups.

@Da Lama , @Not Sure -- i understand what you're saying but I see it differently. Games are scheduled several years out -- we can't be planning to be at the same level then. I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Beyond big prime time games, I like the local games -- CSU, AFA and I'd be good with Wyoming. The local opponents do generate more interest than most games. I'd also like to see more legacy Big 8 matchups.
If you commit to building a winning program, then I agree that you can do the big games. Problem here is that we aren’t actually interested in building a winning program. We are hoping to get lucky and hire the right coach who can transform a ****ty program into a legit one. Hope is a wonderful thing, but it’s not an effective strategy for building a winning college football program.

I picked medium until we get our damn feet underneath us, if it ever happens. Our schedules used to be hard as hell when we were good.

Back