What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is this Food-Cart part 2?

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
I'm annoyed by today - I feel like Rick got played. Should never have let Sark leave town.

If you get beat by an offer you can't match, how is that getting played?

Solid question as well - it is basically what happened with jones we got beat by that UTlight offer, it just seems like the reaction is a lot different now. NOw its the "market" back then it was we are lead by idiots.

Solid question as well - it is basically what happened with jones we got beat by that UTlight offer, it just seems like the reaction is a lot different now. NOw its the "market" back then it was we are lead by idiots.
It will be interesting if the back story ever comes out. RG is savvy enough to know you don't make the offer unless you are nearly 100% it will be accepted. Something out of the ordinary happened. Did Saban intentionally step in to screw CU? Did Sark say, essentially yes, and then go back on his word? Something else? We may never know, but perception is reality, and CU looks like a bumbling wreck of a program now having to beg somebody to be the HC. Desperation is not a good look.

Sark isn't an idiot and he's been a head coach twice. Interviewed for God knows how many high profile football jobs. You're not going to strong arm that guy into committing to a job like Colorado without him being able to walk away and check his options.

Sark isn't an idiot and he's been a head coach twice. Interviewed for God knows how many high profile football jobs. You're not going to strong arm that guy into committing to a job like Colorado without him being able to walk away and check his options.
He's definitely not an idiot, but he is also in a very compromised position. There is a reason not a single school has taken a chance on him since he got hammered at USC and then tried to sue them. Sark needed this more than CU needed Sark. That is exactly the kind of situation that RG should have exploited to get a fast commitment.

Apparently not.
If I had to guess, I would imagine the conversation in Tuscaloosa went- "Steve, its almost Spring Ball and we need to have you on the staff. We have the money and I'll make you the highest paid OC in the country. If you still want to leave after next season, I'll personally make some calls and find you a much better landing spot than Colorado. Just like I did for Mel."

If RG played his hand, that conversation should never have happened. It just amazes me that some of you can sit here and act like RG hasn't had his balls handed to him twice in the last 10 days. Again, as I said before, I like RG and think he is fantastic with fundraising and strategic vision, but simply awful at negotiation.

If I had to guess, I would imagine the conversation in Tuscaloosa went- "Steve, its almost Spring Ball and we need to have you on the staff. We have the money and I'll make you the highest paid OC in the country. If you still want to leave after next season, I'll personally make some calls and find you a much better landing spot than Colorado. Just like I did for Mel."

If RG played his hand, that conversation should never have happened. It just amazes me that some of you can sit here and act like RG hasn't had his balls handed to him twice in the last 10 days. Again, as I said before, I like RG and think he is fantastic with fundraising and strategic vision, but simply awful at negotiation.
Mixing metaphors here, but it helps to have a few cards when negotiating. RG is behind the 8 ball because it ran him over, and would have done the same to anyone else. MT exposed our situation at a particularly tough time, and so now we are struggling. Who does a better job in the coiuntry as AD with less to work with than RG?

Mixing metaphors here, but it helps to have a few cards when negotiating. RG is behind the 8 ball because it ran him over, and would have done the same to anyone else. MT exposed our situation at a particularly tough time, and so now we are struggling. Who does a better job in the coiuntry as AD with less to work with than RG?
To your question, I stated in my post that I believe RG excels at strategic vision and fundraising. But that is completely separate from negotiating a hire.

I'm annoyed by today - I feel like Rick got played. Should never have let Sark leave town.

Heh. I thought of this when the details started to come out last week. Some said that only could happen to a dumb ass like Mike Bohn. Guess not.

To your question, I stated in my post that I believe RG excels at strategic vision and fundraising. But that is completely separate from negotiating a hire.

RE: Sark. When you already have the OC job at Alabama and CU calls you after having been left high and dry by MT, you are negotiating from a position of strength from the get-go. Who's doin' the wantin' and on whose side is Time?

This scenario :

RG: There's our offer Sark. If you get back on that plane to Tuscaloosa the offer is likely gone. We want you but we have a strong list of candidates.
Sark: Thanks for the offer Rick. It was great to visit with you. You have a wonderful school and awesome facilities. Your incoming class is intriguing. I'll call you.

CU is just not in a strong negotiating position here, regardless. Sark HAD a good job. CU DIDN'T (DOESN'T) have a coach. Who's doin' the wantin'?

CU is just not in a strong negotiating position here, regardless. Sark HAD a good job. CU DIDN'T (DOESN'T) have a coach. Who's doin' the wantin'?

Boulder just isn’t the same since the Bustop and Tulagi’s closed and your man is on the wagon.

RE: Sark. When you already have the OC job at Alabama and CU calls you after having been left high and dry by MT, you are negotiating from a position of strength from the get-go. Who's doin' the wantin' and on whose side is Time?

This scenario :

RG: There's our offer Sark. If you get back on that plane to Tuscaloosa the offer is likely gone. We want you but we have a strong list of candidates.
Sark: Thanks for the offer Rick. It was great to visit with you. You have a wonderful school and awesome facilities. Your incoming class is intriguing. I'll call you.

I disagree with just about all of that. But great to hear your opinion.
In fact, you’re essentially saying RG wouldn’t be able to negotiate with anyone who is a desirable target. This is a very timid way to conduct business and would lead to nothing good for CU.

Last edited:

This scenario :

You’re Discounting an important fact that Steve is probably very motivated to be a head coach again. and hes not getting any younger

I do think RG deserves heat for this

1. Tucker’s buyout was way too low. We should not be in this position
2. Being turned down by your #1 candidate and then having to completely regroup is frankly ridiculous.
3. Time frame is too long

I disagree with just about all of that. But great to hear your opinion.
In fact, your essentially saying RG wouldn’t be able to negotiate with anyone who is a desirable target. This is a very timid way to conduct business and would lead to nothing good for CU.

I'm sure RG did his best. A huge $$ raise to stay at the highest profile OC position (arguably) in the SEC won out over a .500 school in the middle of the country in a directionless conference......Sark took the path of least resistance over signing on for an interesting but potentially somewhat risky proposition.

I do think RG deserves heat for this

1. Tucker’s buyout was way too low. We should not be in this position
2. Being turned down by your #1 candidate and then having to completely regroup is frankly ridiculous.
3. Time frame is too long
Maybe Sark was going to accept until RG said, “One more thing Steve. We insist on a $10,000,000 buy out.”

Maybe Sark was going to accept until RG said, “One more thing Steve. We insist on a $10,000,000 buy out.”

CBA4E38C-84C1-4BAB-A469-C85FF962E715.png

Anybody do an analysis of P12 HC buyout clauses? Seems like a $10M yr2 buyout may be rarer than a UCLA playoffs birth.

View attachment 34237

Anybody do an analysis of P12 HC buyout clauses? Seems like a $10M yr2 buyout may be rarer than a UCLA playoffs birth.
I would be interested to see it for any P5 conference, but the prominent recent P12 buyout situations that spring to min are Leach and Taggart. Mississippi State paid $2.25M to WSU to buy out Leach this year. FSU paid Oregon (checks notes) $3M when they hired himTaggart after 363 days coaching UofO. .Hard to fault RG if that's industry standard (For the P12).

View attachment 34237

That’s my point. Seems like some people here blame RG for our former HC having “only” a $3 million buyout. I’m not sure what the standard is but making it too high would damage negotiations.

Maybe to combat these early defections the industry will evolve into having higher buyouts. Maybe a higher percentage of the remaining contract.Maybe, say, 25% of the remaining total contract.

CSU received $7M total ($5M cash and $2M to go play a game at UF) from Florida when they hired away Jim McElwain after year 3.

Any incoming head coach should be expecting to be here for 3 years, but certainly the first year buyout should be very high and then less so with time.

Assume Mel Tucker when coming here was told his buyout (signing in Dec 2018) would be $7M thru the 2020 season, then blah blah blah. He's going to think that $7M is high, but he's also going to think "hell, I'm going to be here at least thru year 2" so seems like the early years would be easier to get thru.

I sort of expected Mel Tucker to be a 3-4 year guy. The 1 and done is however very damaging and RG should try to keep an early buyout very high. Just don't want to hire a guy who can't commit to at least 3 years in my opinion. Not now.

There's a lot of things prospective coaches should care a lot about ($$$, assistant pool, etc). But having a low buyout after 1 or 2 years SHOULD NOT be one of them. **** them if that's important.

Back