What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jake Spavital - OC West Virginia University

He benefits from Holgerson a lot more than vice versa.
Unfortunately, I don't think we could get Dana. He's not leaving WVU unless it's a pretty elite job that's going to play him $5M+, I'd guess.

But this is the best season that Dana's had and it's probably not a coincidence. Stars aligning with Spavital and Grier.

Unfortunately, I don't think we could get Dana. He's not leaving WVU unless it's a pretty elite job that's going to play him $5M+, I'd guess.

But this is the best season that Dana's had and it's probably not a coincidence. Stars aligning with Spavital and Grier.

Spavital would be a lot like Texas Tech hiring Kingsbury IMO. Roller coaster.

We actually liked him at Cal. Good recruiter too. Just that his air raid system was totally inconsistent with what Wilcox wanted to do on the defensive side, so it was never going to work.

My concern with young position coaches is that they made their mark as a position coach. Now they give up that role and become a HC, where they have no experience. They are not using the skill that made them a rising star. It's like you are hiring someone who has no on the job experience, then wonder why it has not worked out by year three. But, at CU, he will last for 6 years and get a fat buyout!

Rick Neuheisel, Josh McDaniels, Jon Embree, Vance Joseph....

My teams haven't done well with young, first time HCs in a long team.

No, grab Holgerson if you are going to go to WV.
Yep. I posted about Spavital when I thought getting a Holgorsen was an absolute pipe dream. If we're fishing in those deeper waters, Spavital is a non-starter for me as a candidate.

Texas St seems like it could be a G5 sleeping giant. It has a lot going for it. A good coach should be able to win quickly there.

Texas St seems like it could be a G5 sleeping giant. It has a lot going for it. A good coach should be able to win quickly there.
Wasn't there a poster on here that said the AD is a complete mess that has no clear vision or goals?

My concern with young position coaches is that they made their mark as a position coach. Now they give up that role and become a HC, where they have no experience. They are not using the skill that made them a rising star. It's like you are hiring someone who has no on the job experience, then wonder why it has not worked out by year three. But, at CU, he will last for 6 years and get a fat buyout!

I understand your point and it’s logical but it still doesn’t make sense. There isn’t a job anywhere in the world that someone has done before they have gotten it. Everyone learns on the job, some are just better than others.

Bump

Obviously not for HC, but if CU hired someone like Barry Odom (defensive guru), Spavital would be a great choice to be the OC/QB to lead the other side.

Back