What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Match Thread - Soccer hosts ASU on Saturday 10/19 (1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
After starting 1-3-1 in the Pac after a very good non-conference, sure the team will be HUNGRY for 3 points this Saturday afternoon when they face off against the sun devils. Hope some Allbuffians in the area can make it out to see the team. (Hard to believe the team is already down to only having 3 regular season home matches left this season, with the last scheduled for next Sunday.)

Go Buffs!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/10/17/soccer-buffs-start-three-game-homestand.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado soccer hosts Arizona State in its return to Prentup Field on Saturday (1 p.m. MT). The match is the first of three on the homestand that will close out the Buffaloes' home schedule.

Colorado (9-4-1, 1-3-1) is looking to get back on track, having lost three consecutive matches. Arizona State (6-5-3, 0-3-2) comes to town fresh off a scoreless draw at No. 15 Washington State.

The single-match week comes at a good time for the Buffs, allowing the team extra time to recover and refocus.

"I think everybody likes one game weekends," head coach Danny Sanchez commented. "You have a chance to recover, hopefully, get some players back that have been dinged up but also, you can focus your attention on one opponent. And it's obviously great to be at home."

The Sun Devils enter the match ranked fourth in the Pac-12, averaging 2.14 goals per match. The Buffs productivity has taken a slight dip, averaging 1.79 goals per match. The matchup features two of the conference's best scorers. Colorado's Taylor Kornieck remains third in the conference with her nine goals this season. ASU's Nicole Douglas right behind her with eight goals.

Saturday is the start of CU's final homestretch. The Buffs will have two matches remaining against California and Stanford next week.

"Nobody gets caught looking forward," Sanchez went on. "This is a great opportunity to focus on one team, one game in a single game weekend in perfect weather on a Saturday. All of our focus is on Arizona State and trying to get a result on Saturday."

The match is CU's annual Kick-Out-Cancer day. The Buffs will sport pink socks and accessories on the field. It is also Pedal to Prentup. Fans are who bike the to match will get a free hat.
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Match Notes - (Not available as I type this. Link in preview article errors out.)

Live video - Will be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/pac-12-plus (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

After starting 1-3-1 in the Pac after a very good non-conference, sure the team will be HUNGRY for 3 points this Saturday afternoon when they face off against the sun devils. Hope some Allbuffians in the area can make it out to see the team.
I'll be there on Saturday.

This is the first chance for the Buffs to get themselves back in contention for an NCAA tourneuy at-large bid.

Buffs get #2 as a nice feed frees Tessa Barton for the score in the 49th minute!

Article and highlights after today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/10/19/soccer-chapa-barton-help-lead-buffs-over-sun-devils.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado junior Gabbi Chapa scored her first career goal and assisted on another, helping the Buffaloes get back in the win column with a 2-1 verdict over Arizona State on Saturday.

Chapa got the Buffs on the board, converting on CU's first shot of the game just 1:35 into the match and freshman Tessa Barton scored her fifth goal of the season to secure the win.

Colorado improves to 10-4-1 and 2-3-1 in the Pac-12. Arizona State drops to 6-6-3 overall and 0-4-2 in the conference.

Chapa's goal was the quickest strike of the season for the Buffs. It also marked the eighth earliest goal in CU history. The early lead helped the Buffs start with confidence. Colorado totaled four shots on goal in the first 45 minutes and kept ASU's offense at a distance.

Colorado finished the afternoon with a slight 17-16 edge in shots. The Buffs closed the day with eight shots on net, while senior Jalen Tompkins faced just three shots on target.

Up Next: Colorado closes out its home schedule with a pair of matches next week. The Buffs will start with No. 2 Stanford on Thursday and then host California to wrap up the week on Sunday.

Notes: Barton's five goals this season are tied with Melissa Cartmell for the eighth-most goals in a rookie season…She now has 12 points this season and is tied with Nikki Keller for the ninth-most points by a freshman…Chapa's assist was her third of the season…She now has five points this season…CU improves to 4-5-2 all-time and 3-3-0 at home against Arizona State...It's the fourth consecutive season Colorado has hit double-digit wins.

Quotes
Head coach
Danny Sanchez
On the importance of the quick start
"Every game in the Pac-12 is like this. It doesn't matter where they are in the standings, Arizona State is a very good team. Gabbi [Chapa] had a great run. She hasn't been getting that end piece, but today she did. It was a great start for us, and it was great getting the early goal in the second half. It was disappointing giving up the goal late. Their [Arizona State] two strikers especially, but just the way that they play, they are tough to defend. I thought that we did a good job of eliminating their clear-cut opportunities. I think that their goal was just a great shot."

On making opponents play negatively
"If they turn their face and play-make we were going to be in trouble. I thought that for the most part, we did a really good job with that. Even at midfield, making them play negative so that we can have the opportunity to get people behind the ball. Even with No. 27 [Marleen Schimmer] and No. 9 [Nicole Douglas], I think that we did a pretty good job."

On Tessa Barton's play
"Sometimes when you just work hard good things will happen. I thought that in the first half especially, she was working super hard, and she got rewarded in the second half. She scored a very good goal, with a great pass from Gabbi [Chapa], which was a byproduct of the work that she was doing and the work that the whole team was doing. We didn't have the ball a lot today, and I thought that we defended well. When we broke the counter, I thought that we were really dangerous."

On starting the homestand with a win
"I think that every game is just huge. It doesn't matter when they come or how they come or who they are, every game in the Pac-12 is like this. After the last couple of weekends, when we were at home and we could have gotten a little bit more out of the weekend, I think that this is a crucial win for us. Now we need to get ready for Stanford and Cal next weekend."

Junior Gabbi Chapa
On her first career goal
"Honestly, I don't even know what happened. I just saw that I had no pressure on me. I kept dribbling, both center backs tried stepping to me and I just slid by them and aimed for the net. Nothing too crazy."

On getting off to a fast start
"It was crucial to get the win today. The last two weekends have been pretty rocky, so we needed to come out, play as a team and get a win."

On Tessa Barton
"Tessa has just been playing awesome for our team. I saw that she was able to turn, so I just slipped the ball into her. She was very composed up there and was able to finish."
"

Boxscore - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=13057

Back