What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- #25 volleyball #18 UCLA (Thurs., 9:00 MT) and #17 USC (Sat., 2:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
With I'm sure one of volleyball's 1st main goals going into the season, making the NCAA tournament, now pretty much a sure thing***, I'd guess a main overall quantifiable goal has now changed to continuing to win enough to having a good chance at being one of the 16 seeded teams in the tournament. A win or two this weekend on the road against 2 tough ranked teams would go a LONG ways towards making that goal a good possibility.
(***Assume it's been a LONG time since any Buff volleyball (or maybe any team sport?) team has been in this good of shape selection-wise with 6 matches still left in the conference season!)

Hopefully some of the sizable So. Cal. alumni base can make it out to a match or two!

Direct link to preview - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11...r-pivotal-match-ups-against-ucla-and-usc.aspx

"
BOULDER— With just six matches left in the regular season, every match is important to stay on top of the Pac-12 standings. And the Colorado Buffaloes have a tough test this weekend against a pair of top-20 opponents.

CU, which is ranked 25th in the latest AVCA Division I Coaches Poll, will take on No. 18 UCLA and No. 17 Southern California for the second time this season. The Buffs, which suffered a 3-2 loss to the Bruins in Boulder, will face UCLA on Thursday, Nov. 9, at 9 p.m. MT. On Saturday, Nov. 11, at 2 p.m. MT., CU will look for its second straight win against the Trojans.

HOW TO WATCH: The match against UCLA will be televised live on Pac-12 Mountain and Pac-12 Los Angeles. Anne Marie Anderson will have the call. The contest against USC will be streamed live on Pac-12 Plus (a link to the stream is available at CUBUffs.com).
ABOUT THE BUFFS: Colorado improved to 19-6 overall after sweeping Washington State and then-No. 11 Washington last week. The pair of wins also moved the Buffs into a three-way tie for third in the Pac-12 standings with a 9-5 mark. CU has also won seven of its last eight matches, which includes a 3-1 record against ranked opponents.
SCOUTING THE BRUINS: UCLA is ranked 18th this week with a 15-8 record. The Bruins are tied for sixth in the Pac-12 standings at 8-6, just one match back from third. Reilly Buechler is eighth in the Pac-12 with 3.28 kills per set and Madeleine Gates is ninth with a .337 hitting percentage that includes 209 kills (2.65 per set). Gates is seventh in the Pac-12 with 1.22 blocks per set, As a team, the Bruins lead the Pac-12 with 16.40 digs per set. Zana Muno is second in the league with a team-best 4.86 digs per set.
The Bruins narrowly escaped Boulder with a 3-2 victory over the Buffs. CU led the match 2-1 but lost the final two sets in extra points (25-17, 15-25, 18-25, 28-26, 16-14).

SCOUTING THE TROJANS: Southern California is ranked 17th heading into this weekend. The Trojans are second in the Pac-12 standings with a 10-4 record and are 18-7 overall. Khalia Lanier is the top offensive weapon for USC, averaging 4.08 kills per set. She missed a few matches, including the previous meeting against CU, but has still tallied a team-best 326 kills. Lanier is also fourth in the conference with 10.79 attacks per set. At the net, Jordan Dunn is averaging 1.03 blocks per set, which is 15th in the Pac-12. Victoria Garrick leads the team with 3.93 digs per set.
The Buffs defeated USC for the first time in program history on Oct. 20. Set scores were 25-23, 25-14, 25-21.

WHAT'S NEXT: The Buffs return home to host Arizona and Arizona State, Nov. 17 and 18, respectively.
"

Vs. UCLA (Thursday, 9:00 PM MT start)
Live video -
match is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain and L.A. channels. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, believe the match can also be streamed through a link at http://pac-12.com/womens-volleyball/event/2017/11/09/colorado-ucla .
Live stats - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=180291

Vs. USC (Saturday, 2:00 PM MT)
Live video (Free live stream) -
http://pac-12.com/live/usc
Live stats - http://www.sidearmstats.com/usc/wvball/

Last edited:
While I wish the match started before 10 PM my time, I will be in front of my computer cheering the Buffs on!

Were up 22-19 and then dropped the first set.

Down 2-0 after UCLA takes the 2nd. (Buffs were down 20-13, rallied to 20-17, but UCLA called a timeout and then closed it out.)

Were up 22-19 and then dropped the first set.

Down 2-0 after UCLA takes the 2nd. (Buffs were down 20-13, rallied to 20-17, but UCLA called a timeout and then closed it out.)

Thanks for the update, bummer though it may be.

I'd hoped to watch the match and give updates myself, but I just switched hotels and, as often happens with technology, "something's come up" I've never seen before at the new place. (I can see a few websites no problem (yeah for allbuffs.com!), but for way over half of those I try to access (including basics like cubuffs, twitter, msn, etc.) on both my Windows laptop and Android phone, I get "twitter.com’s {or whatever site's) server DNS address could not be found." (Got to LOVE technology sometimes.))

Watched with little NW. I think that it might have gone differently if they could have finished off the first set. They never quite recovered from that. UCLA played well but the Buffs has way too many service errors that killed chances to close the gap.

On to USC

That definitely did not look like the same team that beat Washington here in Boulder last weekend. I agree with NW that things might have been different had the Buffs been able to hold on to the first game.

One of the posters on VolleyTalk who seems to know what s/he is talking about said that 4 of the Buffs players, including 2 starters, were just getting over bouts of the flu before the UCLA match. If true, that would explain some of the lethargy / lack of energy they seemed to have yesterday. Hopefully they are better for the USC match tomorrow. .

Buffs are behind a few points much of the 3rd set, tie it up at 20, and then win in overtime 29-27. (Buffs no doubt benefitted at least a little this set by USC running out of subs at around the 20-20 point.)

Buffs up 2 sets to 1.

Buffs have to take a timeout early in the 4th after going down 3-8, after allowing 3 aces in a row and then an unforced hitting error.

Well- definitely one of those times you've got to be happy as a Buff fan volleyball uses sets rather than total points to determine the winner. This one has a 99%+ now of going 5 as USC has a 5-15 lead as Buffs use their 2nd timeout.

Way too many service errors. Cost them the match. Should never have gone to a 5th set.

Article on the tough loss to usc.

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/11/11/volleyball-no-17-trojans-rally-past-no-25-buffs.aspx

"
WHAT HAPPENED: Junior Frankie Shebby led the Buffs with a 21-kill performance while hitting .288. She also earned her 10th double-double of the season with 12 digs, in addition to posting six blocks, one solo and five assists.

Alexa Smith was second on the team with 11 kills and led the Buffs with 13 digs for her 15th double-double this year. Naghede Abu hit a team-best .412 with eight kills and one error on 17 swings and added a pair of blocks. Anna Pfefferle posted a match-best seven blocks and tallied four kills. Brynna DeLuzio also had a nice match with 41 assists and 11 digs.

Khalia Lanier recorded 21 kills for USC, while Brooke Botkin added another 14 kills.

NOTES: CU is 5-3 in five-set matches…The Buffs are 5-7 against ranked opponents and are 10-2 in matches played on Saturdays.

TEAM STATISTICS: Southern California hit .257 in the win with 60 kills and 24 errors on 140 attacks. Colorado hit .184 with 50 kills and 25 errors on 136 swings. At the serving line, USC recorded nine aces to CU's two, while the Buffs had 17 service errors and USC had 16. USC led in digs (58-52), but CU had the advantage at the net (11.0-9.0).

NEXT UP: Colorado returns home to Boulder to host Arizona on Nov. 17 and Arizona State on Nov. 18.

QUOTES:
Head coach Jesse Mahoney
General
"It's a tough result because we did so many things well in this match to put ourselves in a position to win in set five. We struggled from the service line with errors all match and it caught up with us at endgame in the last set. Frankie was a bright spot for us offensively. Now these last four matches take in a lot more weight as we look to the post-season."
"

Boxscore - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=9838

Back