What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread -(RV) Soccer visits Marquette (Thurs., 6:00 MT) & Mich. State (Sunday, 10:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the team as they face their 1st real road tests of the year. They start at Marquette on Thursday (6:00 PM MT start/ 7:00 local time) and then go to Michigan State (Sunday, 10:00 AM MT/ noon local time start).

Beat the Golden Eagles and Spartans!

Article mainly on the Buffs strong- looking stats on a national level-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/4/soccer-buffs-among-national-leaders.aspx

Vs. Marquette (starting 6:00 PM MT/ 7:00 CT Thursday):
Live video stream
(Coverage shown as starting at 6:50 PM local time/ 5:50 PM MT) - https://gomarquette.com/watch/?Live=11&type=Live

Live Stats - https://gomarquette.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

Vs. Michigan State (Starts Sunday at 10:00 AM MT/ noon East Lansing time) :
Live Stats
- https://msuspartans.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

Live Video (Only for those with a separate Big10+ premium subscription. That network has them playing Colorado College. hopefully that's who the Spartans are scouting and preparing for.) - https://www.btn2go.com/game/colorado-college-at-michigan-st-on-09092018

Getting close to match time.

Starting lineup -

(Stephanie Zuniga looking to be the starter in place of Taylor Kornieck, who hopped off the field with an apparent ankle injury last match. Impressive that 4 of the 5 freshmen (3 of whom are "true" freshmen) are in the starting line-up today.)

Buffs tie it as goalie Tompkins takes a free kick from mid-field that evidently misses everyone and finds the back of the net!

Edit- Live stats changes it to an own goal-
"68:49 GOAL by COLO OWN GOAL.; Off GK free kick from midfield line "

Buffs take the lead 2-1 as a beautiful service from Aaknes finds Massey's head and she directs it in!!!!

"84:57 GOAL by COLO Massey, Megan; Assist by Aaknes, Kelsey. "

Article on this evening's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/6/soccer-buffs-battle-to-complete-comeback.aspx

"
MILWAUKEE—Colorado scored two unanswered goals in the second half to complete a come-from-behind victory over Marquette on Thursday. The win keeps the Buffs unbeaten, improving to 5-0-1.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado totaled a season-high 13 shots on goal. The Buffs had a heavy 7-0 advantage in corner kicks.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado

Goals: 2
Shots: 20
Fouls: 8
Saves: 4

Marquette
Goals:
Shots: 15
Saves: 11

UP NEXT: The Buffs will continue on the road when they take on Michigan State on Sunday. The two teams have met just once in program history. The Spartans took the game, 2-1, in overtime back in 2016.

NOTES: Thursday's win marked the first time Colorado won after trailing 1-0 since defeating Denver 2-1 on Nov. 12 last season…Colorado improved to 2-0-0 this season in night matches…Tompkins almost made history on her free kick. No Colorado goalkeeper has ever scored a goal…Massey's goal was her first of the season and fifth of her career…Aaknes recorded her second assist of the season.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Danny Sanchez
On overall performance
"Tonight was a gutsy performance. We were disappointed to go down. I thought we played very well in the first half. We created some good chances and their keeper made a couple of really nice saves. In the second half, I think we came out slow and they got the goal. That put us on our heels, but the team really responded. Their keeper made a couple of really nice saves on Stephanie [Zuniga] and Tatum [Barton]. We got a bit of a fortunate goal from JJ's [Jalen Tompkins] served from midfield. I think it was a byproduct of the pressure we were putting on. More importantly, we kept putting the pressure on. Kelsey [Aaknes] served a great ball and Megan has been knocking on the door all season. It was a good time to get that first goal."

On the play of Tompkins
"I thought she managed the game well. On the goal, it was a foul around midfield. She served a great ball to our targets. The ball kind of squirted in. In the end, we do not care how it go there or who kicked it. It was a goal. I think it really gave the team a spark."

On keeping the pressure on after the tying goal
"Sometimes you get the equalizer and you relax. I thought we turned up our play. We put a lot of pressure on them. Credit to their goalkeeper. I thought she made some world-class saves. We felt the goal was coming It was a great individual effort from Kelsey and a really nice finish from Megan to kill the game off."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=11319

About an hour before today's matinee match begins.

(I don't have big10+, so won't be able to watch today's match. It's cute they're still showing the Spartan's opponent as Colorado College on the Big 10 video site.)

Per live stats- on the goals- Baucom with the assists on both as she continues to wrack up points with Ms. Barton. (Still obviously a LONG way to go on the match- hope they keep up the offensive pressure and keep discleplined throughout the field. Still showing 2-0 in the 26th minute, although livestats looks to be at least 6 minutes behind the action.)

"
10:01 Colorado GOAL GOAL by COLO Barton, Tatum; Assist by Baucom, Jorian; Goal number 8 for season.; beat defender 1v1, finish far post

5:50 Colorado GOAL GOAL by COLO Barton, Tatum (FIRST GOAL); Assist by Baucom, Jorian; Goal number 7 for season.; cross in, one touch finish upper 90
"

And, the starters for today were-

(A very small thing, but hope, at some point, they start listing the players positions for the particular match rather than just their roster positions.)

MSU had only conceded one goal prior to today’s loss to the Buffs and that was in a draw at Washington.

Here’s Zuniga’s ‘gol olimpico’ to finish off the scoring for the day -

Article on today's win.

Direct link- https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/9/soccer-buffs-shutout-spartans-on-the-road.aspx

"
EAST LANSING, MICH.—The University of Colorado soccer team handed Michigan State its first loss of the season on Sunday. Junior Tatum Barton scored two first-half goals in a span of five minutes, helping Colorado remain unbeaten with a 3-0 win on the road.

Barton, who started the day ranked second in the NCAA in total goals, improved her total to eight on the season. She now has career highs in both goals and points (16).

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs got out-shot, 12-10, for the first time this season. Colorado led the category, 7-6, at the half. Michigan State forced the issue down 2-0 in the second half, resulting in only three Colorado shots.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado

Goals: 3
Shots: 10
Saves: 4

Michigan State
Goals:
Shots: 12
Fouls: 3
Saves: 3

UP NEXT: Colorado returns home to close out the non-conference schedule. CU will host Utah Valley on Thursday, Sept. 13. The Buffs will get back into the Colorado Cup on Sunday, Sept. 16, hosting Denver.

NOTES: Colorado's seven-match unbeaten streak is now tied for fifth longest in program history, matching streaks in 2004 and 2013…the 6-0-1 start to the season is the team's best start since starting 2013 6-0-0...It was the third time this season the Buffs have held a 2-0 lead in the first 15 minutes…Zuniga became Colorado's ninth different goal-scorer this season…Baucom now has four assists on the season, giving her 10 points.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Danny Sanchez

On overall performance
"I thought we came out real fast and we created some good chances early in the game. We are playing on the front foot. That first goal was a great run by Jorian [Baucom]. It was a nice cross and Tatum [Barton] had a one-touch finish. Once again we built momentum off that first goal and we got one pretty much right after that. A ball from the back from JJ [Jalen Tompkins] and Jorian played Tatum in. She cuts it and puts it in the back of the net and we are up 2-0 at halftime.

The second half was probably a more even affair. Credit to Michigan State. You could see their quality show. I thought they moved the ball around well. I thought we were chasing a little too much. Then in the 80th minute, a nice corner kick by Stephanie [Zuniga] put us up 3-0 and sealed the game off. It was a workmanlike effort today. Obviously, it's great to get a 3-0 win on the road against an undefeated squad. I also think we had some good learning moments today that I think we can use moving forward."

On team's ability to find the net early on
"I think we come out with the right mindset right off the bat. We want to attack. We want good chances. We want to put ourselves in dangerous spots. Sometimes you do that. I thought we did that on Thursday and we had no goals at halftime. If you do that over a course of 90 minutes you will create some good chances. I thought we created some really good chances today and scored three good goals."
"

WOW.... THIS TEAM STARTS STRONG AF
No doubt, and it's often been a key to their success as they score one or two goals quickly and then the pressure is on the opposition.

I figured Tatum Barton would at times score a number of goals this season, but I wouldn't have predicted she would be scoring at this rate! She is very confident right now. Hope she can keep it up when conference play gets here.

Barring something disastrous, the Buffs will going into conference play undefeated - which I believe would be a first for them.

Back