What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread -Soccer hosts Utah Valley U. (Thursday, 3:30) & Denver (Sunday, 1:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs finish non-conference play at home (Prentup Field) facing the Utah Valley University Wolverines on Thursday at 3:30 PM and then finish off their Colorado Cup matches against the Denver Pioneers, with a 1:00 PM MT scheduled start on Sunday. (Looking ahead, the team only has one opponent the 1st week of Pac 12, when they travel up to Corvallis to face OSU next Friday.)

Hope the team finishes Non-con play off STRONG!

Note- Since I know NOTHING about them, looked quick at Utah Valley (schedule - https://gouvu.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc). Their record this year (1-6-1) could indicate this should be an easy Buff win, BUT they look to have been having some hard luck, as four of the losses (and last 3 in a row) have been by one goal. AND, it looks like they play a very solid schedule, with their last loss (1-2) being against Washington. So, the Buffs better bring their usual intensity if they want to possibly succeed against some I'm sure VERY hungry and motivated Wolverines.

For both matches:
Live stats
- https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

Live video :
Hosting Utah Valley U.
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Hosting the U. of Denver - Match is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose TV/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that channel, assume the match can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2018/09/16/denver-colorado.

Just took a look at this week's main (Coaches) Poll (https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1/united-soccer-coaches), and the Buffs, although still not ranked, went from 3 points last week to 30 this week, which is the 29th most points in the NCAA. Of course, especially when Pac play starts, the Buffs will have an opportunity to impress, with 4 ranked Pac teams (Stanford #1, USC #3, UCLA #8 and WSU #16) in their futures, and 3 others (UO, Cal, and AZ) receiving votes.

The match is approx 43 minutes in, and the Buff's own "killer B's", Barton and Baucom, have each scored a goal to put the Buffs up 2-0.

Starting lineup was-

Live stats on the goals (2nd goal listed 1st.) -
34:05 GOAL by COLO Barton, Tatum; Assist by Geraghty, Libby; Goal number 9 for season.; barton inside goal box in back of net

24:31 GOAL by COLO Baucom, Jorian (FIRST GOAL); Assist by Barton, Tatum; Goal number 4 for season.; Barton ball into Baucom from the top of the eight

Highlights of the goals-

Was at the match today. Utah Valley gave it a really good go. They played as with the attitude that they could win or at least be competitive. No quit, and no fear. Still, the Buffs won 3-0 and that was with several key players injured (Taylor Kornieck, Hannah Cardenas and Erin Greening). In fact they have won the last number of matches without those players which is good news. The Buffs really are efficient at finishing their chances this season. It's the difference between winning with by multiple goals and being in a tight game.

Article on today's match-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/13/soccer-buffs-top-wolverines-3-0.aspx

"
BOULDER.—The University of Colorado soccer team's Killer Bs, Jorian Baucom and Tatum Barton, accounted for all three goals in the Buffs' 3-0 win over Utah Valley at Prentup Field on Thursday. The win pushes Colorado's unbeaten streak to eight games, improving to 7-0-1 on the season.

Colorado's unbeaten streak is the longest to open the season in program history.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado's backend kept the opposition scoreless for the sixth time this season. Utah Valley's shots were limited to eight on the day. The Buffs held the Wolverines to just four shots on net.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado
Goals:
Shots: 18
Fouls: 4
Saves: 4

Utah Valley
Goals:
Shots: 8
Fouls: 8
Saves: 6

UP NEXT: The Buffs close out Colorado Cup play against Denver on Sunday. The game is set for 1 p.m., and will be on the Pac-12 Mountain Network.

NOTES: The 7-0-1 start to the season is the team's best in program history (lost first game of the season in 2003 and then won next 11)...Colorado's eight-match unbeaten streak is now the fifth longest in program history…Geraghty's assist was her first collegiate point…12 different Colorado players have recorded an assist this season…Barton started the day fourth in the NCAA in total points, her goal and assist now gives her 20 points this season (9 G, 2 A).

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Danny Sanchez

On overall performance
"This was a team that was in the NCAA Tournament last year. I have a lot of respect for their coaching staff. They are well coached. We scored the first goal but they had two chances before that. It easily could have been 1-0 before that. It wasn't our best performance, but as a team, we gutted through it."
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=11321

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/9/16/soccer-buffs-fight-past-pioneers-2-1.aspx

"
BOULDER.—The University of Colorado soccer team accomplished something no prior team has done before. The Buffs finished the non-conference season unbeaten, closing with a hard-fought 2-1 win over instate rival Denver at Prentup Field on Sunday.

Colorado went 8-0-1 in non-conference play. The team's nine-game unbeaten streak is tied for third in program history.

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs totaled a season-high 13 corner kicks. The Pioneers registered just one corner kick in the entire game, getting their chance early in the second half.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado
Goals: 2
Shots: 20
Fouls: 7

Denver
Goals: 1
Shots: 16
Fouls: 9

UP NEXT: Colorado opens Pac-12 play on the road next week at Oregon State (Sept. 21). The game is set for a 5 p.m., kickoff and will be on the Pac-12 Network.

NOTES: The 8-0-1 start to the season is the team's best in program history (lost first game of the season in 2003 and then won next 11) ... Colorado improves to 2-0 in one-goal games this season … Kingsbury's goal was the first of her collegiate career … she becomes Colorado's 10th different goal-scorer this season … Groark's assist was her sixth of the season … Watson's shutout streak ended at 338:42.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Danny Sanchez
On overall performance
"We started well. We created chances and had great movement. We scored a great first goal, maybe the best goal of the season. Emily [Groark] to Mary [Puketapu] on her birthday. That was great. We got a little fortunate on the second goal to be up 2-0. We knew DU was going to come back. We needed to find that third goal and obviously their goalkeeper was fantastic. She made a couple saves to keep them in it. Scout [Watson] makes a great save and unfortunately the rebound goes out to one of the Denver players and we had to scrap it out and the end. I am real proud of the group. Everyone is stepping up, playing different roles and positions. This [DU] is a team that will be in the NCAA Tournament. Anytime you play Denver, this is what the game is going to be."

On heading into Pac-12 play
"You want to have momentum going into Pac-12 play. So, we have good momentum. Conference play is a whole different deal. These nine games were great, but these next 11 games will really show what we are all about."

On different players contributing
"We know Marty is quality. She didn't lead the team in scoring for nothing last year. She was very good today. Not just the goal she scored today, but her work-rate off the ball was fantastic. She was maybe unlucky to not get another goal.

Chaynee was playing a different position. She was maybe a little fortunate on the goal, but if you don't kick it at the goal it is not going to go in. I think that was a big moment for us because of the saves DU made in the second half. I think 2-0 gave us a little breathing room to gut it out at the end. "

Sophomore Marty Puketapu
On scoring on her birthday
"It was the best feeling. I can't even describe it. I was like 'I have to get a goal.' I got one and honestly, I was on the verge of tears. I was so happy that I got it."

On intensity of the game
"It was crazy. We know both teams were going to bring the energy into this game. It is such a rivalry. We were excited because we knew it was going to be such a battle. We knew we had to bring the fight. We knew it was going to be tough. We brought it today and gave it everything and we are just so happy with the result."
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=11322

It's shaping up to be a pretty great fall for the Buffs. Just in time to show off for the incoming president. Really want soccer and lax consolidated around the champion's center

Back