What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- SOCCER hosts Wyoming (Thursday, 8/22/24, 7:00 PM MT) & Michigan (Sunday, Noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
SOCCER (1-1-0) continues its season starting home stand as they host 2 more teams at Prentup Field this week.. 1st off is a Thursday evening match against the Wyoming Cowgirls (0-0-1 after tyng Washngton last Thursdays), followed up by a another Sunday noon match, this time against the Michigan Wolverines (0-2-0).

As with last week's matches, looks like both matches will be available for those with premium ($) ESPN+ subscriptions. (See more details and links near the bottom of this post.)

Go Buffs!!!

Preview of Wyoming match - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/21/soccer-front-range-showdown-set-for-thursday

"

Front Range Showdown Set for Thursday​

Colorado and Wyoming meet for the first time since 2012

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER —
Colorado Soccer continues in its young season with the third of four home matches to start the season on Thursday. The Buffaloes will open the week, taking on Wyoming for the first time since 2012.

Colorado (1-1-0) sits in the same position after two matches as it did a year ago. An opening night win over Marquette followed by a hard-fought decision to No. 8 North Carolina. CU ripped off seven consecutive wins following its Sunday loss last season, something the 2024 Buffs also hope to repeat.

"We know how important these non-conference matches are," head coach Danny Sanchez noted. "Last weekend, getting a split wasn't perfect, but probably fair results. Now, our focus is Wyoming on Thursday, who, as we've talked about, is off to a great start with a new coach. They haven't given up a goal in two games against very good Power 4 teams. They will be one of the top teams in the Mountain West Conference this year."

The team will not dwell on the loss to No. 8 North Carolina but rather let it put the season into perspective. It was just the second game of the season, and Colorado has 17 more opportunities to build on it.

"Obviously, we're disappointed with the result on Sunday," Sanchez continues. "However, it was the second game of the season. We have a lot of soccer to play. Our focus is on Wyoming on Thursday. After Wyoming, it's on to Michigan on Sunday before we head on the road next week. We know we have to be at our best. The way the non-conference schedule is playing out is exactly what we thought it would be—very competitive."

Colorado found the net five times in the opening weekend, with five players getting in on the scoring. The Buffs filtered different players in and out of the lineup in the two opening matches.

"I think there's still a lot of competition for not only starting spots but key minutes," Sanchez explained. "We all know that as the season goes along, the playing time will get crunched. We're not different from any other team in the country, but early in the year, we want to play as many players as possible. We're still not at 100 percent fitness and we don't want to be. We want to be peaking as we get into conference play, which is still three weeks away. There's still a lot of competition and a lot of people fighting for roles."

The Buffs and Cowgirls have an intertwined history throughout the year. Colorado owns a 9-2-1 record over Wyoming. Notably, Coach Sanchez spent four seasons from 2008-11 as the head coach at Wyoming before moving to Boulder in 2012. Sanchez coached two games against the Buffs while at Wyoming, going 1-1 as the opposition. The Sanchez-led Buffs hosted Wyoming in his first season, picking up a 2-0 win in the last matchup in 2012.

Wyoming (0-0-1) opened with a scoreless draw at Washington last Thursday. Previously, the Cowgirls defeated preseason ranked No. 3 BYU, 1-0, in exhibition play.

Thursday's kickoff is set for 7 p.m. MT. Brad Thompson will have the call on ESPN+.

To purchase tickets online, visit CUBuffs.com/tickets.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the opponents -

Wyoming :
Roster
- https://gowyo.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats (last season) - https://gowyo.com/documents/2024/8/15/WSOC_Season_Stats.pdf
Schedule/ results for (last) season - https://gowyo.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - Not available as I type this.

Michigan :
Roster
- https://mgoblue.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats - https://mgoblue.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2024
Schedule/ results for (last) season - https://mgoblue.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - https://mgoblue.com/news/2024/8/21/womens-soccer-maize-blue-to-head-west-to-colorado ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Link to links to Live stats for both matches -
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo . Direct links for the matches:
Wyoming - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=531649
Michigan - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=531646

Live Video: Both matches are scheduled to be provided through the premium ($) ESPN+ subscription service, available either on the ESPN app or at:
Vs. Wyoming - https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/eventCalendarId/401698812
Vs. Michigan - https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/77a16488-09d1-4fd1-be26-b50977d36438

Match notes (If blank below, they weren't available as I type this.) :
Vs. Wyoming -
https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/8/20/SOC_2024_Game3_WYO_Notes.pdf
Vs. Michigan - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/8/24/SOC_2024_Game3_Mich_Notes.pdf

Last edited:
It'll be great to rip off another seven game winning streak at a minimum after losing to N Carolina. Those Cowgirls sound dangerous though.

Wyo does look to be a solid side. They beat BYU 1-0 in an exhibition match and drew 0-0 at Washington last weekend. I’m out of town taking my son to college so I’ll miss this weekend’s matches, hope to read some recaps.

Hand ball in the box called on WY and James converts the PK to tie the all-time Buff goal scoring mark at 42 (corrected) to give the Buffs a 2-0 lead!

Congrats to her!

Last edited:
Stanley kicks one in from the top of the penalty box to get the Buffs to 5 in the 88th minute.. Assist to Fisher.

congrats to James. Great way to get the record. I was nervous about this game but they came out and played well. I still think having Hope L score early in this season is a big thing for her confidence.

Sko Buffs! At least the starters got some rest for Michigan who will be well rested.

Media after tonight's W:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/22/soccer-james-sets-record-in-buffs-rout-over-wyoming

"

James Sets Record in Buffs' Rout Over Wyoming​

Shyra James scored three goals on the night on her way to becoming the program’s career goal-scoring leader

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER —Shyra James
entered Thursday night one goal shy of tying the school record for career goals. Not only did she tie the record in Colorado's 5-1 win over Wyoming, but she shattered it in a memorable three-goal night at Prentup Field.

Colorado (2-1-0) didn't take long to bounce back from last Sunday's heartbreaking loss to then-No. 8 North Carolina. Hope Leyba opened the scoring in the 8th minute and led Colorado 1-0 at the half.

James came in as a sub in the second half and put in three goals in a span of 10:24 to surpass Nikki Marshall's previous record of 42 career goals. James' hat trick was the first for Colorado since Tatum Barton scored three goals against Missouri in 2018.

"It was definitely exciting," James expressed after the record-setting night. "In the beginning, I was kind of, like, 'Man, come on. I'm right there every single time.' Once I scored the first one, it just kept happening. I started getting more adrenaline and more excitement. Being able to experience this with my team was just insane."

Marshall, who was in attendance on Thursday night, scored 42 goals from 2006-09. The Hall of Fame Buff was also a volunteer assistant coach for the Buffs in James' junior season.

"It means a lot [to pass her]," James explained. "We're actually very close. I would say to beat her record and knowing her in that aspect is exciting. She even texted me, 'Good luck. I'm going to be there,' and stuff like that. It kind of makes me excited that I could actually be with the person that I beat for the record and have it happen in front of her with the way I played today."

Lola Stanley added the Buffs' fifth goal late in the match. The five-goal effort on Thursday marks the most goals CU since putting five past Omaha in the 2022 season.

Wyoming (0-1-1) outshot the Buffs 20-19 on the night. The Cowgirls found the net in the 83rd minute, converting on a penalty kick.

Jordan Nytes and Jamie Campbell combined for 11 saves in the win. For Campbell, Thursday marked her CU debut, making three saves in relief of Nytes.

"You can go a couple ways after that [the loss to UNC]," head coach Danny Sanchez commented. "We really got after it. Tuesday was probably our hardest practice of the season. Even though our legs were still heavy, it was a warm day on Sunday. We really got after it on Tuesday, and after a disappointing ending of a game like Sunday, you just want to play again. I think the team was champing at the bit to get out there."

Up Next
The Buffs return to action on Sunday, hosting Michigan at Noon on ESPN+.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2024/wyoming/boxscore/17019

Last edited:
Feature on Shyra James that also constitutes the preview for tomorrow's noon match against Michigan -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/24/soccer-rewriting-history

"
BOULDER – Fifth-year senior Shyra James started this season with the Colorado's career goal-scoring record in her sights. Just three matches into the season, and the record is her.

The La Mesa, Calif., native, ended the 2023 season as the second CU soccer player to reach the 40-career goal mark, trailing CU Hall of Famer Nikki Marshall's career mark of 42 career goals.

James decided to return for her fifth year this season, giving her a shot to rewrite the CU record books.

That rewrite started on Thursday when James recorded a second-half hat trick, scoring three goals in a span of 10:24, to help Colorado to a 5-1 win over Wyoming, with Nikki Marshall in attendance.

"First thing, first. I want to talk about Nikki Marshall and what she did for this program and elevated her time," Sanchez acknowledged after the Thursday's win. "She may make the argument that if she played up top for four years, maybe Shyra would have a few more to go. But all she [Nikki] talked about was how she wanted to be here when Shyra broke the record, which she was. She's always about CU, so first-class ambassador for our program."

James, who is using her COVID season in 2024, also owns the CU record for goals per game (0.56), with Marshall behind her at 0.49. Marshall totaled her 42 career goals in 85 career games over her four seasons from 2006-09. James, despite having an extra season, broke the record in fewer career games, playing her 79th career game on Thursday.

"Congratulations, Shyra. I'm so happy for you. I wish you the best of luck in your season to come. Keep scoring goals and leading your team," Marshall said in a video message to James on Friday.

James' surge to the top has been a steady increase since stepping on campus in 2020. The season was of course postponed to the spring of 2021. James played in 17 matches that season recording five goals, with her most memorable being a double-overtime winner against No. 14 USC at a snowy Kittredge Field.

"She [James] showed some real flashes her freshman year," Sanchez explained. "I think, obviously, the biggest goal she scored was when we beat USC in overtime. You could see the quality, she just has an innate feel for the game. She has a tactical feel for where to put herself in order to be in the best position to score."

She added nine more goals as a sophomore, closing the season with a four-game scoring streak. The streak was the first of its kind sine Marshall scored in four consecutive matches in the 2007 season.

The streak continued into the 2022 season, with James opening the season on a six-game scoring spree, setting the record for consecutive games with a goal. James reached double-digit scoring for the first time in her junior season, finding the back of the net for a then-career-high 11 goals.

James and Marshall overlapped in the 2022 season. Marshall, now Nikki Malone, was a volunteer assistant for the Buffs and helped mentor James.

"We're actually very close," James said of Marshall. "To beat her record, and me, knowing her in that aspect, is exciting as well. She texted me 'Good luck. I'm going to be there,' and stuff like that. It kind of makes me excited that I could actually be with the person that beat the record."

James became the second Buff, joining Taylor Kornieck, as the only two players to record two double-digit goal seasons in a career. James finished last season ranked ninth in the NCAA with her career-high 15 goals.

"I didn't think I was going to do all this," James recalled of her expectations as a freshman. "I knew I was going to be a top player and I knew that I was going to be a good contributor to the team. But I feel like my hard work just got me here. Honestly, I wasn't expecting any of this. I wasn't expecting to be any record or something."

Thursday's hat trick was just the seventh all-time by a Buff, but it provided a sense of relief or James.

"It [the record] was definitely in the back of my mind," James expressed. "My family came out last weekend and I was joking wit them that I was going to beat it this weekend – the weekend that they left. They were really upset and then I actually did it. But it was just exciting. I have no words for it."

James now has four goals in the last two games for the Buffs and sits second in the Big 12 in goals.

Colorado will be back on the pitch on Sunday, hosting Michigan (Noon/ESPN+).

The Buffs and Wolverines have met just once previously, resulting in a 1-1 draw in Ann Arbor in 2022. Michigan (0-2-0) has losses to Utah Volley and Xavier to open the season.

Fans can purchase tickets at CUBuffs.com/Tickets
"

Congrats to Coach Sanchez for his 300th win as an NCAA coach!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

And, media after today's W:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/25/soccer-colorado-tops-michigan-2-0

"
BOULDER — Colorado wrapped up its four-game homestand with a 2-0 win over Michigan on Sunday. The Buffaloes closed their opening stretch with a 3-1 record.

Sunday's win marked a milestone for head coach Danny Sanchez, who picked up his 300th NCAA win. It was win No. 136 at CU, adding to his program lead.

"I normally joke that it just makes I've been coaching a long time, but I think between Metro State, Wyoming and CU it's just been a special places with special people. What it means is, I've coached some really talented players. I'm excited for it. I'm not going to lie, but it's the fourth game of the season, so it's all about getting to North Carolina next week."

Boulder native Ava Priest set up two first-half goals that held to the final whistle. Juliauna Hayward slotted the opener in the 17th minute and Hope Leyba put home her third goal of the season three minutes later in the 20th minute.

"I love playing with Ava," Hayward said after the win. "She's vital to this team. She came off the bench and was like, 'Oh, I'm so tired.' I'm like Ava, 'You just go two assists for us. Without you, we wouldn't have won that game.' I'm very proud of how she stepped up, even as a leader on this team, she's stepped up a lot."

Junior Jordan Nytes made four saves in her 10th career shutout as a Buff. The win was the 14th of her career, moving her into a tie with former Buff Danielle Bassett for the eighth most in CU history.

"I thought we played a professional game," Sanchez expressed. "We didn't make a big deal out of it, but they [Michigan] didn't play on Thursday. They came in here fresh on Friday. We had a hard match on Thursday until the very end. I thought that was a professional approach. I really like how we defended. Didn't give up many shots inside the 18. It was a quality shutout. A very good 2-0 win on Sunday."

Michigan falls to 0-3 on the season.

Up Next
Colorado hits the road for the first time this season, heading east to North Carolina. The Buffs will square off with UNC Greensboro on Thursday and NC State on Sunday.

Quotes
Head Coach Danny Sanchez
On Juliauna Hayward
"Jay's been playing great. She does a lot of work off the ball that people don't see. It was a great layoff from Ava and a quality finish from Juliauna."

On not getting breaks – "Like I tell the team, those things tend to even out over the year. Mal's shot looked like it was in, but we didn't need it today. Maybe we'll get it when we need it later in the year."

On the homestand – "We did, for the most part, what we needed to do. Took care of business today and Thursday with Wyoming. Now, it's about going on the road, traveling over two time zones, and getting into different weather and humidity—all the challenges of that. But we're excited. School just started, so we don't have a lot of pressure with that, but we're excited to get on the road and see what we can do."

Junior Juliauna Hayward
On contributing to the team –
"However, I can help the team. I tell Danny all the time, however I can help. Today, I was able to score for my team, which I was super happy about. Hope had a really good goal that helped put us ahead even more. That was also awesome."

On playing with Ava Priest "Maybe it's that Colorado chemistry, I'm not sure. I just love playing with her. Like I said, she's able to attack the end line. She's able to cut inside. She's so crafty with what she does. We had that connection there and again when she came off the bench, she had one too, but she was offiside that I gave to her. I think that we just love playing together and we've really created a good friendship, which shows on the field."

On Coach Sanchez's 300th win – "I've known him since I was a little kid when I was coming to the little kid camps. I think just seeing how much he's done for this program is super inspiring. I'm very proud of him for that as well."

Notes
Leyba's goal came off another set-piece, giving the team five on the season…Nytes made four more saves, giving her 98 as a Buff…Sunday was the second consecutive game a CU player had multiple assists, with Priest picking up both (Emerson Layne, 2 vs Wyoming)…Hayward became CU's seventh different goal-scorer this season…CU has outscored its opponents 12-4 this season…1,751 fans were in attendance on Sunday.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2024/michigan/boxscore/17020

Back