What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- SOCCER opens the season hosting Marquette (Thursday, 8/15/24, 7:00 PM MT) & #8 North Carolina (Sunday, Noon MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
SOCCER (Last season - 13-5-3 overall; 5-3-3 in conference play), as usual, opens up the CU sports (academic) year as they host 2 teams at Prentup Field.. 1st off is a Thursday evening match against the Marquette Golden Eagles (5-10-4, 2-6-2), followed up by a Sunday nioon match against the pre-season ranked #8 (in the Coaches' Poll) and THE legacy program in the sport North Carolina (UNC) Tar Heels (13-2-8; 5-0-5).

I believe the team is expecting a BIG crowd for the Tar Heel game against the winningest team in the sport's history, but after Marquette earned 1 of it's 5 victories last season early in the year 0-1 over the Buffs in Boulder, I assume/ hope that CU will also be VERY ready to compete when opening the season off against the Golden Eagles

I wasn't sure how video coverage would be handled with the Buffs joining the Big 12. At least based on these 2 matches, looks like ESPN+ will be the main needed subscription for those of us who love the "Olympic sports". (See more details and links near the bottom of this post.)

Go Buffs!!!

(Cubuffs.com preview not available as I type this.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the opponents -

Marquette:
Roster
- https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/2024
Stats (last season) - https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2023
Schedule/ results for (last) season - https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule/2023
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - https://gomarquette.com/news/2024/8/12/womens-soccer-wsoc-opens-2024-campaign-thursday-at-colorado

North Carolina:
Roster
- https://goheels.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats (last season) - https://goheels.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats
Schedule/ results for (last) season - https://goheels.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule/2023
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - Not available as I type this.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Link to links to Live stats for both matches -
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo . Direct links for the matches:
Marquette - UNC - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/mob...BJ*MTcyNDAwNzY0MS4zLjAuMTcyNDAwNzY0MS4wLjAuMA..

Live Video:
Both matches are scheduled to be provided through the premium ($) ESPN+ subscription service, available either on the ESPN app or at:
Vs. Marquette - https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/eventCalendarId/401698811?gameId=716912.
Vs. UNC - https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/3a1d8d20-3edc-4b1b-94a3-ea99c42af048?om-navmethod=espn:globalsearch:results

Match notes (If blank below, they weren't available as I type this.) :
Vs. Marquette -
https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/8/13/SOC_2024_Game1_Marquette_Notes.pdf
Vs. UNC -

Last edited:
Preview for tomorrow's match - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/14/soccer-ready-for-opener-against-marquette

"

Soccer Ready for Opener Against Marquette​

Buffs get 2024 underway on Thursday

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER —
Head coach Danny Sanchez and the Colorado Buffaloes get the 2024 season officially underway on Thursday night, hosting Marquette under the lights at Prentup Field (7 p.m. MT).

The opener is the first of a four-game homestand. The Buffs will play six of their first eight games of the season on their home pitch. Colorado had a strong showing at home last season, going 8-3-1 in front of the home crowd.

CU previewed the opener with a 4-3 exhibition win over North Texas last Saturday. Hope Leyba, Sami Fisher, Josie Master and Ava Priest accounted for the goals.

"I thought there were some really good things," Sanchez explained. "We looked at some film and had some really good learning moments. Some of our new players got the opportunity to show some good things. It was almost what you expect in an exhibition. We never have one, it's always just our first game. We always lament the fact that we're not as sharp in that first game. Credit to North Texas: They played a tough game against Colorado State on Thursday and came here and played us on Saturday night. I thought they were very good, very dangerous. They scored a couple of really good goals, but having said that, we scored four really good goals, and everyone got out of it healthy."

The 2024 Buffs will look almost identical to the 2023 roster that finished 13-5-3 and returned to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2020 season. CU returned 19 players from last season and added just five newcomers. Laura Gouvin (Boston College) and Michaela Rosenbaum (UCLA) transferred in as graduate students. Fisher redshirted last season at Florida, while true freshmen Jace Holley and Hannah Puff will look to make an impact this season.

"We have a good group back," Sanchez expressed. "We lost some important pieces last year in some four-year starters and fifth-year players that were very experienced and really pushed our program forward. At the end of the day, we have a lot of talent back and experience back. Part of the reason we have such a small recruiting class, only two freshmen, is because we bring players in to compete, not just to wear the gear in the airport.

"When you look at the players we have back, with a couple of fifth-years in Rachel Rosen and Shyra James and brought in a couple of fifth-years with Micky (Rosenbaum) and Laura, but really the core of the group is back."

Rachel Rosen, a returning captain from last season, is joined by juniors Juliauna Hayward and Jordan Nytes in wearing the captain's band this season.

"Last year was unique in just having Rachel as a captain," Sanchez noted. "We revisited what the expectation was and had a lot of conversations with Rachel. As a captain, you're held to a higher standard. At the end of the day, everything that happens with the program falls on me, and the captains have to facilitate the messaging and the expectations. Our team's saying is 'Side Before Self,' and that's difficult to do sometimes. The team voted, and we [the coaching staff] wholeheartedly agree."

Colorado was picked fourth in last week's Big 12 Preseason Poll with Shyra James, Faith Leyba and Nytes earning Preseason All-Big 12 accolades. James has also picked up Third Team Best XI from Top Drawer Soccer (TDS) and was named a Forward to Watch by the United Soccer Coaches.

All three players were listed on TDS's Preseason 100, with James leading the group at No. 28.

The Golden Eagles finished 5-10-4 last season and brought in a new coach and rotation of players this season. Thursday night's match serves as a rematch from last season's opening weekend. Marquette upset the Buffs 1-0, netting the only goal in the 35th minute. Colorado outshot Marquette 15-11 on the day but only landed three shots on net.

"Credit Marquette last year," Sanchez recalled. "They played better. We had three shots on goal. We didn't deserve anything more than we got out of it. We didn't play well. They played well, and it was an earned victory for them. Now they have a new coach. Like I said to the team, they have new coach energy. They're going to come out in that first game and be flying. We're going to have to play well."

Brad Thompson will have the call on the new home of Colorado Soccer, ESPN+.

The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a CU Hawaiian shirt giveaway. Gates will open an hour before kickoff.

Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets ahead of time online at CUBuffs.com/Tickets.
"

Marquette @ Buffs • Thurs., Aug. 15 • 7pm • ESPN +​

The first game that counts of the season. Marquette came to Boulder last season and handed the Buffs a 1-0 loss. That would be one of only five wins for Marquette and it led to the firing of their head coach. It also put CU in a tough RPI situation at the end of the season.

With no idea to expect from Marquette, let’s look at the Buffs coming into the match. It appears that the team is healthy although two players from last season didn’t see the pitch in the exhibition v North Texas; Emerson Layne and Mallory Allen.

The starting XI is most likely going to be the same as in the exhibition which means only two newcomers and a lot of experience. Hopefully we’ll see more cohesion in the team with passing and possession compared to the UNT match. Having played an exhibition should help with that.

First 500 in through the gates get a free Hawaiian shirt.

Tonight was a good night since not only did the Buffs win but it’s a new era with the B12 and ESPN+. Miss the game…you can watch on demand.

Marquette was picked to finish near the bottom of the Big East this year so who knows how the Buffs will fare against North Carolina? The Tar Heels were picked to finish 4th in the ACC (just like the Buffs in the B12).

For the 2 second half goals
  • Layne had a nice run in the box and got tripped for a penalty kick. Defender H. Leyba's PK was parried right of the goal by the goalie, but new sophomore Buff transfer Fisher got to the rebound 1st and pounded it in over the diving goalie.
  • Finally, a nice corner by Moschetti led to F. Leyba poundng it in from point blank range on the far side. (Assist for Moschetti For a little bit, it was called an own goal, but thankfully was changed.)
Highlights of the goals -

Media after last night's win.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/15/soccer-buffs-top-marquette-in-opener

"

Buffs Top Marquette in Opener​

CU nets the 3-0 win to start the season

BOULDER —
Colorado Soccer opened its 2024 campaign with a three-goal effort to pick up its first win, a 3-0 decision over Marquette, under the lights at Prentup Field on Thursday Night.

The Buffaloes' youth took the spotlight in the opener. CU got a pair of goals for players making their collegiate debuts in Jace Holley and Sami Fisher. Sophomore Hope Leyba picked up the third tally of the evening to put the game out of reach.

"I thought we started slow," head coach Danny Sanchez expressed postgame. "We didn't come out with the energy I was hoping for. But then Ava [Priest] made a great serve and great finish, very brave, Jace Holley finish. Then we settled the rest of the half, but we talked at halftime and I felt we had more to give. I thought in the second half, especially when we subbed, I thought the energy went up."

Thursday's win avenges last season's early loss to the Golden Eagles. Colorado improves to 18-6-5 all-time in season-openers, having won on opening night for the 21st consecutive season.

The Buffs led 1-0 at the half and tacked on two more in the final 45 minutes. CU held a 14-10 shot advantage, putting 10 shots on target.

Junior keeper Jordan Nytes recorded her ninth shutout as Buff, making a key save to keep the game scoreless in the opening minutes.

"It's positioning and being in the right spots," Sanchez added. "Shots from distance, they're only going to beat her on the top. She's athletic and dealt with what she need to. She made a similar save in the second half as well. She dealt with what she needed. I thought the backs were solid. I think, once again, going forward, it was a little disjointed at times. Some passes that maybe led to counters for them when we could have done better with them. But it's only our second game and really our first game. So we know that that'll get better as the season goes on."

Colorado got 22 players into action, with Holley, Fisher, and Hannah Puff all making their college debuts. Holley got the starting nod, while Fisher and Puff came in as subs.

"We were planning on playing a lot of players early in the year," Sanchez commented. "It's going to be nice and warm on Sunday. Nice and Sunny. We need those legs, so it's nice to give some of our players that maybe typically play 90 minutes a break today."

Upcoming

The Buffs will host No. 8 North Carolina on Sunday (Noon/ESPN+). Fans are encouraged to purchase tickets online and arrive early for Fan Fest.

Notes
The win was No. 130 all-time at Prentup Field…Colorado improved to 11-0-2 all-time in openers under Coach Sanchez….Holley became the first Buff to score in her collegiate debut since Hayward did so in the 2022 opener against Weber State (Aug. 18)…Holley and Fisher became the second CU duo in program history to score in their collegiate debuts, joining Hayward and Layne against Weber State (Aug. 18, 2022)…Nytes is now three shutouts from matching former Buff Dani Hansen (12) for seventh in program history...Thursday was Sanchez's 298th career NCAA victory.
"

This match (Marquette) was a big improvement in terms of connecting passes and building out of the back and holding possession compared to the exhibition. It wasn’t where Danny Sanchez would like the team to be, but they’ve only been training/playing for a couple of weeks or so. If they continue to progress they'll be able to boss games against many of their opponents.

There was one change to the starting lineup for the exhibition with freshman Jace Holley taking the attacking central midfielder role from Jenny Beyer. It turned out to pay dividends fairly quickly. The attacking formation was again a 4-4-2 diamond.

For the first ten minutes or so Marquette had the possession advantage and was putting pressure on CU’s back line, but they were only able to get a shot from outside the box that Nytes was able to knock over the bar.

CU’s first goal came on a counter attack in the tenth minute when Ava Priest was able to run with space on the right side and then hit a flighted cross with pace that Jace Holley got to before teammate Shyra James to hammer home a header. From the time of the goal CU grew into more possession and started to take control of the match by connecting short passes and making the choice to play the ball back if there was nothing forward.

Marquette remained enthusiastic with their bench cheering louder than the CU fans until Emerson Layne won a PK in the 71st minute which led to a goal by Sami Fisher who cleaned up the rebound. From that point on it was apparent the game was decided.

Feature on frosh scorer Jace Holley, along with a basic preview for tomorrow's BIG match - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/8/17/soccer-holley-with-amemorable-start-to-cu-career

"

Holley With a Memorable Start to CU Career​

The CU freshman has had quite the start to her rookie season

BOULDER —
Colorado freshman Jace Holley had a memorable open to her CU soccer career, and it had nothing to do with Thursday night's action against Marquette.

Just days after finishing high school last May, Holley joined the Buffs for training in preparation for the team's foreign tour to London and Barcelona. The Rocky Mountain High School graduate was the only incoming freshman who made that trip, starting her tenure as a Buff ahead of schedule.

Colorado played three games on the tour, one in London and two in Barcelona.

Holley got on the pitch in London for the first time as a Buff, but it was the opening game in Barcelona against Espanyol's U19 team that she will carry with her forever, literally.

Holley now sports a scar just above her left eyebrow as a keepsake from the match and a trip to a Barcelona emergency room that resulted in 12 stitches.

"We were in Barcelona, and I started that game—everyone was playing," Holley recalled. "I went up for a flick, and the girl came straight through my head, and it just split open, and I went to my hands and knees. I was like, 'Whoa, I'm sweating a lot.' Then I stood up, and the whole team was shocked. They looked at me, and I was like, 'What?' I had no idea. I tried to wipe the blood off my face with my jersey, and the whole team yelled at me to stop.

"It's a story to tell for sure."

Fast forward to opening night on Thursday, and Holley is inserted in the starting lineup in her first official match as a Buff.

"I found out [I was starting] at our last practice," Holley explained. "Knowing the talent on this team, it was a really big honor to see my name starting. I knew with that honor I wanted to provide for my team, work hard for my team, and do everything I could to help the team win."

That she did.

It took Holley just 10 minutes to get the Buffs on the board, flying through the box with a diving header for her first career goal. The Fort Collins native played 43 minutes and put two shots on target in her CU debut.

"It was everything I thought it would be," Holley said of her first game. "The energy, the crowd, the lights flickering – that's my favorite part. It was everything I thought it would be. I'm so excited. I remember when I was a fan sitting over there, cheering and being part of the energy. Now that I'm over here, it's just surreal. It's awesome."

The next test for Holley and the Buffs? Eighth-ranked North Carolina.

"It's exactly the type of matchup I committed to play in," Holley added. "Another big team with a big name. We're excited to show them what we've got. We can play with anyone."

The Buffs are 0-6 all-time against the Tar Heels, having last met in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Tournament in Chapel Hill. Sunday will be UNC's first visit to Boulder since the 1998 season.

Kickoff is set for noon MT. Brad Thompson will have the call on ESPN+.

Sunday is Buffs Wear White, and fans are encouraged to wear white to the game. A pregame Fan Fest will also start at 11 a.m. and will include a petting zoo, inflatables, face painting, a live DJ, and more.

Gates open at 11 a.m. Fans can avoid the ticket line at the field by purchasing tickets ahead of time at Buffs.me/SOCvsUNC.

"
________________________________________________________________________________

Watched the replay on ESPN+ and it looked like a beautiful day and chill day as well. I thought the Buffs were on their way to victory then UNC wins 3-2. Bummer!

brutal loss. They had it and should of at least got a tie out of it. got to finish and not let good teams have 22 shots in a game.

This loss can be attributed to a loss of composure over the final thirty minutes of so. Too many bad decision with what to do with the ball when they were in possession. Rather than playing a safe pass back or square it was whacked forward and given away.

One positive was the tremendous 1v1 defending by Faith Leyba who won her duels with UNC's Olivia Thomas.

Back