What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread - Volleyball host No.24 Washington State (Thurs., 10/24, 7:00 PM MT) and #9 Washington (Sunday, 1:00 MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs with a rare Thursday night match to start off the weekend as they hopefully can build on their solid play this past Sunday to earn their 1st conference win of the season in the friendly confines of the CU Events Center, (although as often happens in the Pac 12 it will have to be against 1 (or hopefully both) of 2 Top 25 teams they'll be facing).

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/10/22/volleyball-colorado-returns-home-against-two-top-25-teams.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado volleyball looks to build on the strong performance last Sunday when the Buffaloes returns home and host No.24 Washington State and No. 9-ranked Washington this Thursday and Sunday, respectfully.

The Buffs (8-10, 0-8 Pac-12) are still searching for their first conference win this season but are coming off taking then-ranked No.15 Cal to five that included a 16-14 fifth set loss. Coming off the strong performance on the road, CU will take on Washington State (16-4, 5-3 Pac-12) Thursday evening at 7 p.m. with the Cougars coming off a home loss last weekend. The Huskies (15-3, 6-2 Pac-12) have lost five-straight but will have to come into Boulder after playing at No.18 Utah. Washington has also lost three of its last four matches in Boulder.

Thursday's match will kick off at 7 p.m. and will celebrate the 70s with Disco Night. Sunday will be the Buffs Trick-or-Treat Street match where fans can come and get candy and show off their costumes as the Buffs take on the Huskies at 1 p.m.

SCOUTING THE COUGARS
The Cougars have lost just four matches this season, but share a common non-conference opponent in Iowa, a team CU swept on the road. WSU fell to Iowa in their second match in a sweep, but that was their only non-conference loss. After upsetting Washington at home, WSU fell to Cal on the road in five sets. The team also was swept by UCLA on the road then rattled off four-straight wins before falling to Arizona State at home despite taking the first two sets.

Washington State spreads the ball around with four players with 139 or more kills, six players with 12 or more aces, four players with 133 or more digs and four players with 24 or more blocks. The biggest worry for Colorado comes upfront with Magda Jehlarova putting down 107 total blocks this season with more than 1.5 blocks per set by herself. Anything that makes it past her is cleaned up by Alexis Dirige with 330 digs. The team is defensively sound with 2.6 blocks per set and teams hitting .154 against them. On the offensive side, WSU is only being blocked less than twice per set and hitting .235 behind a quartet of players. Pia Timmer has a team-high 198 kills followed by Jocelyn Urias with 167, Jehlarova with 147 and Alexcis Lusby with 139.

SCOUTING THE HUSKIES
Washington has just three losses this season, all on the road. The Huskies lost to Hawai'i in four during the first weekend, then at Washington State in four and at USC in four. Sandwiched between two four-set losses was knocking off No.1-ranked Stanford on their home floor in four sets. Since the loss against the Trojans, Washington has five-straight wins that include four at home. The team will have a tough battle at Utah before coming to Boulder on Sunday where they have lost two-straight matches and three of the last four.

Washington is hitting .244 as a team and holding opponents to a .191 hitting percentage. They are also putting down 2.7 blocks per set. Kara Bajema has emerged as one of the best players in the conference with 293 kills this season while hitting .241. She is joined by Samantha Drechsel with 177 kills. The Huskies have a strong front with five players with 42 or more blocks led by Avie Niece's 95. The backrow is also split up with three players with 168 or more digs, led by Shayne McPherson's 287.
"

Matches' notes - (Can't see any as I type this.)

Match Media links -
Live video -

Vs. WSU (Thursday, 7:00 PM MT) : Will be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/pac-12-plus (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Vs. Washington (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT) : Will be viewable via a free live stream available at https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs (as well I assume somewhere on the Pac 12 App?).

Live stats for both matches should be available at https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wvball/summary .

When I saw the Buffs play Iowa in Iowa City, Washington was playing Illinois. They beat Illinois 3-2.

If the team that showed up at Cal shows up this weekend, the Buffs can win these matches.

Buffs can't generate much offense against a stingy wsu defense in set one. It ends 17-25.

Buffs with a nice comeback in set 2 from 6-7 points down to tie it at 21, but fall just short at the end 23-25.

And the match is over as the Buffs lost the 3rd 16-25.

(From a thing or two I saw at the match, I am wondering if illness might be an issue for at least some on the team right now? Although, that is not to denigrate anything WSU did, as they looked VERY strong, especially on the defensive end both with the block and back row d.)

Last edited:
I was not able to watch last night's match. From the looks of the score, I'm glad I didn't see it.

I knew this was going to be a tough year but not being competitive in the Pac 12 is disappointing. The most depressing thing to me is when Mahoney after the game said their passing degraded during the match. the same story over and over again. Bad passing

Just watched the end of the third set. Buffs took that one to avoid being swept. Down 1-2 going into the fourth.

Back