What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

National Champ, who ya got?

UVA will run into a team that will actually hit their open shots, and they don't play offense.

Hate their brand of basketball.

I'll go with Virginia. Wouldn't be shocked if a 6 or 7 seed got hot and made a run to win it though.

Virginia's been the best team in the sport, but so much of it is what kind of draw does everybody get. One prediction I will make right now: Arizona will lose their first NCAA game.

I look at 2 things from KenPom: Adjusted Offense and Adjusted Defense. Basically, this is efficiency without respect to tempo. Within that, I believe that D rating is more important but that O rating must show that you've got enough firepower to get the job done.

Here is where the main contenders rate (teams that are likely top seeds):

KenPom RankTeamAdjDAdjO
1Virginia137
2Villanova321
3Duke142
4Purdue174
5Michigan State710
6Cincinnati245
7Gonzaga2312
8North Carolina583
9Kansas429
10West Virginia3015
11Auburn3614
12Texas Tech351
13Tennessee449
14Xavier687
15Michigan1235
16Ohio State 1531
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
When I look deeper at those numbers, I still like Virginia a lot. UVA's D is crazy good. The difference between them and #3 D Texas Tech is 8.3. That's absolutely insane. It's greater than the difference between #3 and #65. (#2 Cincinnati is also elite, but is 4.2 behind UVA). Only question with Virginia is if they have enough firepower to overcome a team that gets hot from 3.

Villanova's performance on O is also #1 with a bullet, ranking 3.8 above #2 Duke. So that's a team that could get hot and win it just as they did a couple years ago. But it is hard to win that way and unlikely.

Ideally, I want to see a Top 10 defense with a Top 20 offense. The only team that fits that description is Michigan State -- and they're top 10 in both. But since I can't stomach rooting for them, I won't be picking them. On the numbers alone I would, though.

Duke and Purdue are also very solid picks, by the numbers. And if you believe in defense, look out for Cincinnati, Texas Tech or Tennessee to make a run to the Final Four like South Carolina did despite their lack of firepower.

Last edited:
Very impressive win by Villanova tonight at a tough Seton Hall. SH was nasty on D, holding Nova to 52 points. But Nova still got it to OT with its own defense and then work up on O to score 17 points in OT to win it.

I didn't think they were capable of winning like that. They might be more dangerous in the tournament than I'd thought.

Back