What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Asst Coach

yeah, wish I had some ACC insight, but I don't. But, looking online, some tidbits I could find:

"Ray was part of the 2006-07 Purdue staff that signed arguably the top class in school history, a group that was rated No. 5 nationally by Scout.com and No. 6 by Rivals.com. That class included All-Americans Robbie Hummel and JaJuan Johnson and current NBA player E’Twaun Moore."

"Rick is a terrific coach in every sense of the word," Brownell said. "He is a consummate professional. He is a relentless recruiter, has worked with some of the best X's and O's coaches in the business, and is unbelievably bright."

Basically, to me this guy seems like a stand up guy like Tad that likely shares a lot of similar philosophies about basketball. He doesn't seem like a great hire, but who knows, maybe he will be. May as well be optimistic about the hire, and hope he helps us to the tournament next season.

Seems like a solid hire to me. I’m also not sure I completely understand the Manning love, I would have viewed his hire in pretty much the same light. At Tulsa, he parlayed one of the best stepping stone jobs in the country for the last 40 years into a disaster at Wake Forest. Ray and Manning’s head coaching experience seems about the same to me, underwhelming. They both got those jobs for a reason though.

Previous head coaching experience, at places that are hard to win. Just because it isn't Danny Manning doesn't make it a yikes hire. I don't really know who the guy is, so I'm not saying it's a good hire, but your reaction is a little overblown.

Ray's a pretty solid basketball mind and was a good recruiter at Purdue. I don't put a ton of stock into his two flops as an HC. Some guys are just better suited to be assistant coaches. Not the splash that Danny Manning would have been, but this is a good hire.

Ray's a pretty solid basketball mind and was a good recruiter at Purdue. I don't put a ton of stock into his two flops as an HC. Some guys are just better suited to be assistant coaches. Not the splash that Danny Manning would have been, but this is a good hire.
On that note, it's rare that the smartest guy on the bench or best recruiter or best x's and o's guy on staff is the HC.

Applying it to something we're all more familiar with, how often is the CEO of a place you've worked the technical expert or best salesperson or biggest brain in a meeting? Most bad CEOs I've seen were bad because they were promoted 1 too many times - but they were stars in some previous roles in their organization.

For everyone one that was disappointed/pissed in losing Coleman and adding Rick Ray. ASU was 11-14 last year, Anthony Coleman is no longer coaching, ASU lost all of their assistant coaches, and they still have Bobby Hurley. We were 23-9, retain all of our assistants, and had the best recruiting class we've ever had ranked 13th by 247 and ASU was 27th. Continuity, development, and being a good head coach matter. This was way overblown.

For everyone one that was disappointed/pissed in losing Coleman and adding Rick Ray. ASU was 11-14 last year, Anthony Coleman is no longer coaching, ASU lost all of their assistant coaches, and they still have Bobby Hurley. We were 23-9, retain all of our assistants, and had the best recruiting class we've ever had ranked 13th by 247 and ASU was 27th. Continuity, development, and being a good head coach matter. This was way overblown.
Bobby has to be on the hot seat now doesn't he?

Back