What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL update from CU, portal launched, support for athletes announced

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member

Announcement from CU AD:

Thank you for your investment in the lives of our 350+ CU student-athletes. Your recent support has ranged from the Sustainable Excellence Initiative (SEI) Drive for $105M, which resulted in the building of the UCHealth Champions Center, our Crawford Family WHOLE Student-Athlete Program, scholarship endowments, planned gifts, and season ticket purchases. This proves if we stand shoulder to shoulder, we can accomplish anything.

College athletics is in a very delicate place right now. The landscape is changing at a rapid pace and the issues that are prevalent today weren’t even topics a few years ago. The intersection of the transfer portal with name, image and likeness has created an unstable dynamic. While I’m disappointed to see the number of football student-athletes we’ve seen enter the transfer portal in the past few weeks, we are not unique to many teams around the country. As it stands today, there are over 1,700 FBS student-athletes in the transfer portal (average of 13+ per institution). One can speculate as to why this is occurring, but rest assured, our #1 priority is the student-athletes at CU, and we will continue to stand committed to educating, investing in, and providing them a world-class experience.

I am, and will always be, proud of what we do for our student-athletes at the University of Colorado. What we provide in student-athlete support is unmatched around the country. We want student-athletes that want to be at the University of Colorado as this is an incredible institution. We have the best coaches and staff in place across all our sports in my tenure and I’m excited about what the future holds for CU Athletics.

Thanks to your generosity, investments into the AD Excellence Fund have allowed us to recently act upon the NCAA vs. Alston et al decision. This means we will now provide up to $2,000 to all academically eligible scholarship student-athletes each semester. In addition, we will provide up to $990 to all student-athletes who participate in five or more advanced educational courses per semester (i.e. career development, diversity, equity & inclusion, mental health, etc.). In total, we expect to provide $1.7 million in new educational support directly to our student-athletes annually.

Moreover, I am excited to announce our approach to further assisting CU student-athletes with their name, image and likeness (NIL). I am pleased to share details on our new program called the Buffs NIL Exchange. This exchange will serve as the official marketplace for all businesses, individuals, and collectives to engage with our student-athletes on their NIL opportunities.

Should you consider partnering with our student-athletes on their NIL, please register your information using the link below. The passion of our Buffs Family is unmatched, and I am excited to bring this opportunity for you to support our student-athletes in this new world of college athletics.

Go Buffs!

Rick George

So, up to $2990 per semester or ~ $6k per year ($500/mo). For every scholastic athlete. That'll buy a lotta beer. I think it's good (start).

Edit: It says "up to $2000". Not sure what that means.

Edit2: Do call it a "platform", so see it as a start or place to build on.

Last edited:
Maybe I am missing it. This looks like something to help Businesses connect with athletes.

Why is CU providing some kind of buffer? What value do they add?
- I am guessing that it makes it easier for some Blue haired businesses connect? Easier to make sure the SA doesnt get taken advantage of?

Why only businesses? Why cant an individual pay a SA individually?

Maybe I am missing it. This looks like something to help Businesses connect with athletes.

- I am guessing that it makes it easier for some Blue haired businesses connect? Easier to make sure the SA doesnt get taken advantage of?

This is what was sent to me.
Maybe answer some of your questions

I, like many others received the same canned letter. My guess at this point is that the AD will periodically change the verbiage as they see fit due to there unfamiliarity with NIL and how well they can adjust to a potentially fluid situation. I have issues with the the two sentences from the canned letter below .

What we provide in student-athlete support is unmatched around the country. "If so, then why is the schools FB recruiting so bad?"

We have the best coaches and staff in place across all our sports in my tenure and I’m excited about what the future holds for CU Athletics. "If so, then why have we lost so many FB players to the portal?"

I, like many others received the same canned letter. My guess at this point is that the AD will periodically change the verbiage as they see fit due to there unfamiliarity with NIL and how well they can adjust to a potentially fluid situation. I have issues with the the two sentences from the canned letter below .

What we provide in student-athlete support is unmatched around the country. "If so, then why is the schools FB recruiting so bad?"

We have the best coaches and staff in place across all our sports in my tenure and I’m excited about what the future holds for CU Athletics. "If so, then why have we lost so many FB players to the portal?"
It isn’t bad. Coach Dorrell has a vision to get his players to Boulder that he’s not yet done enacting. Now send us more money!

An individual CAN.

Back