What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

No comment

So do stars matter?
:ROFLMAO:

In case anyone was confused by those stats, it's important to note that the vast majority of recruits are not 4* and 5*.

Here’s how long their odds are to reach various recruiting ratings, using class of 2018 data from Rivals, if we settle on 300,000 football-playing seniors as a fair estimate:
  • 33 five-stars, or 0.01 percent of the class
  • 399 four-stars, or 0.13 percent of the class
  • 1,409 three-stars, or 0.47 percent of the class
  • 1,842 two-stars, or 0.61 percent of the class
  • 296,317 unrated, or 98.77 percent of the class

Clearly there are more 3-stars drafted than any other group. That means we should concentrate on recruiting 3-Star players.

That’s what that means, right?

Which means?
That recruiting matters for college programs to compete at the highest level. Four of the seven 5* went to Alabama, one went to Georgia and one went to FSU. One also went to UCLA, but QB is a little different, IMO. I'd like to revisit this list in 3-4 years to see which half of the spectrum has produced better NFL players, but yes, recruiting matters.

When I was coaching we had so many good football players quit to focus on baseball year round and a couple who even wanted to focus on wrestling. Only one of them that I'm aware of actually went anywhere to play that sport they decided to focus on, and it was probably the right decision. Kid got a full ride baseball scholarship to ASU. 99% of the time, however, these kids are being pressured by their idiot parents to only focus on one, when in reality, they aren't good enough at any to actually play at the next level.

When I was coaching we had so many good football players quit to focus on baseball year round and a couple who even wanted to focus on wrestling. Only one of them that I'm aware of actually went anywhere to play that sport they decided to focus on, and it was probably the right decision. Kid got a full ride baseball scholarship to ASU. 99% of the time, however, these kids are being pressured by their idiot parents to only focus on one, when in reality, they aren't good enough at any to actually play at the next level.

Agree with you,

And frankly if they are good enough to play at the next level they will if they specialize or not.

@Duff Man 's reference to track and field is a good one. I also like football players who wrestle. It builds strength along with flexibility, develops balance, and I have zero proof of this but I think it makes them less susceptible to neck and shoulder injuries.

fify. So much truth in this post.
Yes, but it's also very hard anymore to play certain sports, including baseball and soccer for sure, and maybe others, part time. At least at a competitive level. The leagues are essentially either rec leagues, if they exist at all, or are year-round, 4-6 day a week grinds. You can play school sports alone, but will be left behind quickly by kids playing club all year. I hate the specialization too, but there's not really much of a choice if you want to play competitively.

Yes, but it's also very hard anymore to play certain sports, including baseball and soccer for sure, and maybe others, part time. At least at a competitive level. The leagues are essentially either rec leagues, if they exist at all, or are year-round, 4-6 day a week grinds. You can play school sports alone, but will be left behind quickly by kids playing club all year. I hate the specialization too, but there's not really much of a choice if you want to play competitively.
Yeah, I am in that quandry right now. I have a child playing two sports. Both sports are pushing for year round participation. One day, a decisions will have to made I suppose, but it isn't today, and I doubt it will have bearing on post-HS play.

fify. So much truth in this post.
Agreed. And for the record, we always encouraged players to play other sports and were very forgiving and understanding when they would miss summer football workouts for basketball and baseball leagues that actually played games. The problem comes when baseball coaches and scouts would tell kids that, even though baseball is a Spring sport, they had to play "Fall Ball" if they wanted a look from colleges. Fall basketball leagues were an issue for this as well.

Yeah, I am in that quandry right now. I have a child playing two sports. Both sports are pushing for year round participation. One day, a decisions will have to made I suppose, but it isn't today, and I doubt it will have bearing on post-HS play.
You have to play chicken with those coaches and see how adamant they really are. It's complete BS by the way.

Look no further than MM allowing kids to run track. Would IO have been a better football player at CU without track. I doubt it.

If CFB can do this, HS coaches can deal with 3 sports kids.

I have a good (actually kind of sad) story about this subject:

Our neighbor has two daughters. They’re both pretty athletic, but the eldest is definitely more into sports than her younger sister. I’ve watched these two grow up and they’re both wonderful kids. The oldest played soccer, basketball, and softball growing up. She was pretty good in all of them. When it came time for her to go to high school, she was “recruited” to play basketball at the more athletic-minded school in town. She made the varsity team as a freshman. Quite the accomplishment. Her family had a cruise planned over Thanksgiving break. Her coach pressured her to forego the cruise to practice that week with her new team. No games. Practice. So she did. She stopped playing the other sports and concentrated on hoops.

By her senior year she was burned out and quit the team.

Her sister went to the neighborhood school, where she played soccer and ran cross country. She went on the cruise with her family and had a blast.

Sports are supposed to enhance our lives, not dictate it.

Many of you here know that my wife and I adopted our kids from Peru a little over five years ago. My oldest daughter who is now an eighth grader and very athletic is still capable of flat out dominating the other girls of her age playing soccer.

The high school coach and local club coach have tried to press her to play on the teams but she just isn't that interested. When they then presented how great it would be to practice and play year around she just flat out said no.

I'm very glad she did and support her fully. She does well academically, has a variety of interest, is involved in family activities and church activities and is just generally happy. As a dad what more could I ask.

One other consideration with potential recruits who participate in individual sports like T&F, wrestling, swimming, etc.

In those sports there is a high degree of personal responsibility. Can't blame the coach for calling the wrong play, blame teammates for not passing the ball, etc.

Other than being a good indicator of natural athletic ability I would think they would help in telling you about the kids character. How do they respond to being challenged? How strong are they at overcoming adversity? etc.

They just said the either most recent pick or the one before (beginning of the 2nd round) was a state shot put and discus champion.

Last edited:
One other consideration with potential recruits who participate in individual sports like T&F, wrestling, swimming, etc.

In those sports there is a high degree of personal responsibility. Can't blame the coach for calling the wrong play, blame teammates for not passing the ball, etc.

Other than being a good indicator of natural athletic ability I would think they would help in telling you about the kids character. How do they respond to being challenged? How strong are they at overcoming adversity? etc.
I think I agree with this.

The non-ball sports aren't as fun for most people too. They select for people who love exercising and competition.

It's a lot easier to convince someone to spend an hour in the batting cage or running pass routes than it is to get them to run 8x400m at 90% effort. It's a different sort of mental commitment to practice and be competitive purely on fitness alone. The things you do at track practice on an easy day before a meet look a lot like the running that football, basketball, and baseball players do when they get in trouble at practice.

Imagine how much better of a golfer Tiger Woods would have been had he ran track and field. I blame his pops for making him focus only on golf :)

Looking at Colorado and its border states: OK with 8, AZ with 4, KS & UT with 3, CO & NM with 2 and WY & NE with 1. More evidence that recruiting OK as part of our footprint while emphasizing AZ makes a ton of sense.

Looking at Colorado and its border states: OK with 8, AZ with 4, KS & UT with 3, CO & NM with 2 and WY & NE with 1. More evidence that recruiting OK as part of our footprint while emphasizing AZ makes a ton of sense.

Have always wondered why we didn't put more energy into OK. The quality of HS football there is very good, they produce quality linemen and some real speed.

Also makes a lot of sense in that Colorado is a popular place for people from Oklahoma to vacation. We are close enough for parents to come to games easily and for players to make the trip home on a long weekend by car easily.

While there is definitely a strong correlation between where an athlete goes to high school and probability of that athlete going to college in that state, that was labeled as "by college state," not "by high school state."

While there is definitely a strong correlation between where an athlete goes to high school and probability of that athlete going to college in that state, that was labeled as "by college state," not "by high school state."

True, a lot of the players at OU and OSU are from Texas but I think the point still stands. OK should be more on our recruiting footprint.

Back