What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games 9/5 - 9/7

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
We are underway and the season is launched. So far not many upsets but we all know they are coming.

No FBS games on Thursday with the NFL season openers on tap.

Friday BYU (1-0) is at SMU (2-0) in the first real competition for each. ACC vs. B1G later with Duke (1-0) visiting Northwestern (1-0) in their temporary ridiculous stadium.

Saturday should be a big one. Starting right off we get to see if (23) Georgia Tech (2-0) is for real after beating ranked Florida State in their opener. Syracuse (1-0) host them.

Most people won’t be watching that one though with a battle of top 10 teams on at the same time. (3) Texas (1-0) travels to the Big House for (10) Michigan (1-0) in the first big test for the post-Harbaugh Wolverines.

In the same time slot Arkansas (1-0) is at (16) Oklahoma State (1-0) who had a tougher battle with FCS South Dakota State than the score would indicate. Arkansas meanwhile had no challenge beating Arkansas Pine Bluff 70-0.

A couple of big rivalry games on the early season schedule Pitt (1-0) at Cincinnati (1-0) is usually a tough battle.

A big battle regardless of records is the annual contest for bragging rights in Iowa. Iowa State (1-0) is at (21) Iowa (1-0) with Iowa slightly favored. The over/under though tells you what you need to know about this game. 35.5 at the time of writing this, no offense but Iowa has no offense.

Not much in the middle of the day but in early season B12 action upcoming CU opponent Baylor (1-0) is at (11) Utah (1-0) in a game that shouldn’t be close. Nobody giving much attention to Baylor recently, they can’t even make the papers for misdemeanors recently much less their normal felonies.

Not a lot of great late games but one battle of top 25 teams going on. After stepping up the last couple years is Tennessee for real? (14) Tennessee (1-0) is at (24) North Carolina State (1-0)

Probable blowout of the week not including top 10 teams playing FCS schools has Houston who lost 5 of their last 6 last year and was dominated by UNLV (yes MWC UNLV) in their opener at (15) Oklahoma who blew out Temple 51-3. This could quickly become a Karl Dorrell type season for the Cougars.

Early to pick a garbage game of the week but FCS Merrimack (coming off losing to Air Force) against U got Conn(ed) which should be FCS fits the bill.

Locally we get to see Air Force (1-0), coming off a less than impressive win over FCS Merrimack hosts San Jose (1-0) who also failed to impress in a win over an FCS team. Historically Air Force has made a big jump in performance after their opening game. With only 4 starters back they will need to.

Wyoming (0-1) got blown out at Arizona State last week. This week with a visiting FCS team it should be easier for them but Idaho (0-1) kept it close against ranked Oregon. Cowboys need to get back on track or this could be an ugly season quickly.

Normally at this point I mention how bad UNC (0-1) is. This week they get to show it on a big stage (Like Lady Gaga) in Fort Collins against a CSU (0-1) squad fresh off a beating by Texas that was only 52-0 because the Horns had the waterboys in by halftime. Still the sheep should go a long way in this one towards balancing their season points differential.

Small colleges going big time this week. Here are your Thursday games and more.

Thursday if you don’t want to watch the NFL openers West Texas A&M (1-0) comes to Golden to play #5 Mines. When Mines wins their players can legitimately claim they beat the Buffaloes without mentioning it wasn’t the Colorado Buffaloes.

Saturday #15 Western Colorado brings Midwestern State to Gunnison.

We should get a good idea of what to expect from Pueblo this year as they open at home against #21 Texas Permian Basin.

We know what to expect from Fort Lewis but we won’t get another loss this week because they don’t have a game on the schedule.

Not a specific game, but why is Utah ranked #11 (and were highly ranked before their 1st game)?
They were 5-4 in the P12 last year - a good team, but not deserving of the ranking, yet anyway.

Not a specific game, but why is Utah ranked #11 (and were highly ranked before their 1st game)?
They were 5-4 in the P12 last year - a good team, but not deserving of the ranking, yet anyway.
Pre-season polls are just a wild guess anyways but Utah has some quality talent coming back and a well respected coaching situation.

Last year they were much better than the 5-4 record but they couldn't keep a QB healthy and on the field. Cam Rising missed all of last year at QB and TE Brant Kuithe who was projected as a high draft choice missed the entire season as well.

I've heard a couple of commentators say that if those guys come back solid and Utah can stay somewhat healthy they should be one of the favorites to win the B12.

We get them at home in November and I'd love to have them come in ranked and beat them.

Colorado Mines got off to a good start last night beating West Texas A&M 41-13.

Balanced offense with 447 yards, New QB Evan Foster was 20-30, 269 yards, 2TDs, RB Landon Walker with 15 carries, 154 yards, 2TDs

Next week shouldn't be a big challenge for them travelling to Washburn College.

P4 matchups this week:

HomeAway
SMUBYU
NorthwesternDuke
CincyPitt
AuburnCal
NC StateTennessee
Oklahoma StateArkansas
IowaIowa State
IllinoisKansas
NebraskaColorado
OklahomaHouston
Arizona StateMississippi State
MichiganTexas

Big XII only had two P4 OOC games last week, TCU beat Stanford and West Virginia got rolled by Penn State; nothing to really shift perception of the league.

A lot more could change this weekend

Underdog games:
BYU (+12) @ SMU
Iowa State (+2) @ Iowa
Colorado (+6.5) @ Nebraska
Houston (+28) @ Oklahoma

Favored games:
Arkansas @ Okie Lite (-10)
Pitt @ Cincy (-2)
Kansas (-4.5) @ Illinois
Miss St. @ Arizona St. (-5.5)

I could see anything from 7-1 to 0-8 from that slate of games.

I'll take 5-3 with Buffs and Cyclones winning, but Arizona State losing.

SMU has better individual athletes, but BYU played tough. The SMU QB made so many questionable decisions.

That was a tough watch, but double OT for a Friday night so somewhat entertaining. Duke holds on

He's very quick and athletic but played almost out of control at times
2 weeks ago I was thinking SMU would be pretty good, and worth watching. Saw them last season a couple times....was impressed with QB Preston Stone and HC Rhett Lashlee (who I remember as a Malzhan OC at Auburn).

Now, Stone has played terribly and SMU has looked pretty awful both times out. Weird.

damn disney. I will be watching Game Day on YouTube

every season for years now, I have to get creative to watch college football. Bulljunk. especially with a $250 monthly satellite bill

2 weeks ago I was thinking SMU would be pretty good, and worth watching. Saw them last season a couple times....was impressed with QB Preston Stone and HC Rhett Lashlee (who I remember as a Malzhan OC at Auburn).

Now, Stone has played terribly and SMU has looked pretty awful both times out. Weird.

They were getting some preseason love as a potential darkhorse in the ACC since their schedule sets up very well but now it's looking like they could lose to anybody in the ACC.

Will say that I'm impressed with UT's OOC scheduling the last few years.

And yes, just threw up a little in my mouth writing that.

I agree. They used to have one of the weakest, rarely leaving Texas. Play Rice and call it a traditional SWC rivalry. But, 1. They needed AD Deloss Dodds to retire to get a "paradigm shift" and 2. They lost the three way Big XII tiebreaker for the BCS game with OU and Tech on SOS whenever that was. Mid 00's?

Back