What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Network is a running joke nationally

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I see exchanges like this all the time.

University presidents need to get damn serious about this situation, the lost revenue and poor exposure, and fix it before the conference crumbles while it circle jerks over how it broadcasts more non-revenue sporting events than any other conference network. (Hint: that's not something to celebrate, it's the heart of the damn problem.)

Good to see most Buff fans coming around to this reality. Too many people just fell in line that the P12N was good for no reason other then because it was of the P12. My favorite was the pukes that blamed the P12 fans.

I want the PAC to be forward thinking and revolutionize sports TV. Partner with Netflix or Google or some dynamic company like that and get the product available to everyone. I think exposure is the key. While I want to maximize revenue, we need to grow the fan base via access and product. A little investment to start growing interest in the PAC product. I also think we should make a strong push for some Big 12 schools (I don’t think any further expansion within the PAC footprint would help us at all) and start airing games at normal times.

Last edited:
I want the PAC to be foreward thinking and revolutionize sports TV. Partner with Netflix or Google or some dynamic company like that and get the product available to everyone. I think exposure is the key. While I want to maximize revenue, we need to grow the fan base via access and product. A little investment to start growing interest in the PAC product. I also think we should make a strong push for some Big 12 schools (I don’t think any further expansion within the PAC footprint would help us at all) and start airing games at normal times.
What incentive does Netflix or Google have to partner with the Pac 12 to revolutionize sports TV, though? Why would they want to do this with a mediocre college football brand like the P12, instead of wait for the media rights to run out for the other conference networks and go big with them?

Watched ASU vs Zona last night. It is a shame that it was on the Pac12 Network.

I hope the Pac 12 figures out a new way to get it's teams on television. It's a shame the Pac 12 Network is so limited.

I get it where I live in Iowa because I have Dish. I used to be able to watch the games shown on regional stations in real time. That ended and I had to watch online. Now I can't watch online in real time because I do not live in the Pac 12 footprint. Thankfully I do have a sign in that allows me to watch the games in real time.

I still think the Pac 12 was wise to keep complete ownership of the network(s). The media landscape is changing fast, and the Pac is the only conference in a position to take advantage of it at any time. Sure, the Pac could've partnered with a cable network and received wider distribution and more money initially, but it was always going to lag the SEC and B1G eventually just because of ratings. Streaming services are throwing money at content now, and the Pac is the only conference who could cut a deal there.

What incentive does Netflix or Google have to partner with the Pac 12 to revolutionize sports TV, though? Why would they want to do this with a mediocre college football brand like the P12, instead of wait for the media rights to run out for the other conference networks and go big with them?
The idea would be to change sports TV delivery entirely. Have to start somewhere. I realize some other sports contracts could be more attractive, but Larry Scott gets paid to get us in the discussion. If that doesn’t work, then there’s probably a lot of Stanford pukes that work at a place like Google. :)

The idea would be to change sports TV delivery entirely. Have to start somewhere. I realize some other sports contracts could be more attractive, but Larry Scott gets paid to get us in the discussion. If that doesn’t work, then there’s probably a lot of Stanford pukes that work at a place like Google. :)

It's not like Netflix is picky. They're still paying Adam Sandler tens of millions to make movies for them.

I still think the Pac 12 was wise to keep complete ownership of the network(s). The media landscape is changing fast, and the Pac is the only conference in a position to take advantage of it at any time. Sure, the Pac could've partnered with a cable network and received wider distribution and more money initially, but it was always going to lag the SEC and B1G eventually just because of ratings. Streaming services are throwing money at content now, and the Pac is the only conference who could cut a deal there.

If, and it's a big if, they can leverage it right they are in a position to take advantage of the coming changes.

Had they shared ownership with ESPN or Fox or one of the cable or satellite providers they could have been held back when the change comes. These entities all have huge reasons to resist control of content being taken away from them. It is going to happen though. Eventually people are going to be able to bypass the traditional distribution system for sports and when they do the PAC can be in on it.

Back