What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

PAC-12 struggling in recruiting due to continuously missing the CFP?

Seems like a pretty biased article, when you look at the Pac-12 compared to the ACC and Big 12 they are all pretty similar.

Clemson 6
FSU 12
NC state 25
Virginia tech 29
Miami 34
Virginia 35
Duke 37

Texas 7
OU 8
TCU 30
Iowa State 39
Baylor 40

Oregon 5
Washington 14
Stanford 18
Usc 28
Asu 31
Cal 38

Keep in mind that this is also about as good as the big 12 will get with those two programs at the top while I would say the acc and pac 12 have tons of room to grow with USC, Miami, UCLA and cal underperforming so far.

Last edited:
Seems like a pretty biased article, when you look at the Pac-12 compared to the ACC and Big 12 they are all pretty similar.
Yep. Seems like it has become a common theme to hold the Pac-12 to a different standard. Constantly gets compared to the Big Ten and SEC to support the narrative. Based on the way things get reported, you'd think the Pac-12 was really lagging the ACC and Big 12. Not at all. In fact, it's pretty telling that the Pac-12 has had such a slump in football and MBB the past couple years and is still right there with those conferences. Actually, I'd say that the ACC is the biggest mess right now. 1 great program and a hot mess most everywhere else. Miami, Florida State and VA Tech all bad with North Carolina & Louisville complete dumpster fires. Somehow that's not a major story?

Yep. Seems like it has become a common theme to hold the Pac-12 to a different standard. Constantly gets compared to the Big Ten and SEC to support the narrative. Based on the way things get reported, you'd think the Pac-12 was really lagging the ACC and Big 12. Not at all. In fact, it's pretty telling that the Pac-12 has had such a slump in football and MBB the past couple years and is still right there with those conferences. Actually, I'd say that the ACC is the biggest mess right now. 1 great program and a hot mess most everywhere else. Miami, Florida State and VA Tech all bad with North Carolina & Louisville complete dumpster fires. Somehow that's not a major story?
Because dabo is the man, and they play an 8 game conference schedule like a bunch of bitches.

1. east coast bias which is real
2. California is not producing as it once was. See.AZ and Las Vegas.

There are definitely issues there but it actually seems like a decent sign that the recruiting rankings are what they are with usc and UCLA doing wha they have.

On the subject of missing the CFP playoff- I don't understand why it's so difficult for the Pac12 to understand that they need to adjust their scheduling practices. If it were me, I'd immediately and unabashedly copy the SEC model- 8 conference games, late season patsy mixed in with the conference schedule, no back to back roadies in conference, and try to contain scheduling within the footprint as much as possible. The committee has consistently shown that they give absolutely zero ****s about how many in-conference games a team plays, so if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

There's nothing biased about the article, it's simply pointing out how every other conference has at least 2 top 10 classes and how multiple top 10 classes over a 4-year span are almost a necessity to win a national championship. Also of significance is that it was pointed out how half of Cali's top 10 players are leaving or expected to leave the Pac12 footprint, which is the most in a decade.

Sure the Pac12 is an easy target right now having missed the playoff 2 years in a row combined with the 1-8 bowl debacle last year but there's nothing to indicate that the conference is on the upswing. In fact it's quite the opposite.

There's nothing biased about the article, it's simply pointing out how every other conference has at least 2 top 10 classes and how multiple top 10 classes over a 4-year span are almost a necessity to win a national championship. Also of significance is that it was pointed out how half of Cali's top 10 players are leaving or expected to leave the Pac12 footprint, which is the most in a decade.

Sure the Pac12 is an easy target right now having missed the playoff 2 years in a row combined with the 1-8 bowl debacle last year but there's nothing to indicate that the conference is on the upswing. In fact it's quite the opposite.
Umm, it’s pretty biased man. The ACC only has Clemson in the top 10 but no one bashed them. The pac has 4 in the top 22 while the big 12 has two in the top 22 (yes two of those are top 10) but to act like the other conferences are recruiting circles around the pac 12 just isn’t true.

Yes, the SEC and Big 10 are bringing in more talent than the other three but to only **** on the Pac is pretty dumb.

Clemson 6
FSU 12
NC state 25
Virginia tech 29
Miami 34
Virginia 35
Duke 37

Texas 7
OU 8
TCU 30
Iowa State 39
Baylor 40

Oregon 5
Washington 14
Stanford 18
Usc 28
Asu 31
Cal 38

Keep in mind that this is also about as good as the big 12 will get with those two programs at the top while I would say the acc and pac 12 have tons of room to grow with USC, Miami, UCLA and cal underperforming so far.
Cal under-performing? I love my Golden Bears, but we're historically a 6-6/ 7-5 team and not a recruiting heavyweight. We could move up but it's not going to be by a bunch, most likely.

USC, I definitely agree. This is far below where they could be.

On the flip side, TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor all have room to move up (Tech with a new coach, and Baylor signing classes in the 30-40 range with a coaching staff compiling only a 7-17 record; imagine when they start to win more).

Of course, the only number I really care about is the Buffs. I hope we get a few nice later additions and build this class into quality players who can sustain us until recruiting really takes off next year. I love HCMT, but damn transition year classes are a bit of a letdown.

Cal under-performing? I love my Golden Bears, but we're historically a 6-6/ 7-5 team and not a recruiting heavyweight. We could move up but it's not going to be by a bunch, most likely.

USC, I definitely agree. This is far below where they could be.

On the flip side, TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor all have room to move up (Tech with a new coach, and Baylor signing classes in the 30-40 range with a coaching staff compiling only a 7-17 record; imagine when they start to win more).

Of course, the only number I really care about is the Buffs. I hope we get a few nice later additions and build this class into quality players who can sustain us until recruiting really takes off next year. I love HCMT, but damn transition year classes are a bit of a letdown.
Yes, cal should be recruiting in the top 25 each year.

Those Texas programs will struggle to recruit when Texas, OU and A&M are going what they are.

Yes, cal should be recruiting in the top 25 each year.

Those Texas programs will struggle to recruit when Texas, OU and A&M are going what they are.
Cal always *should* have been recruiting that high, but let’s face it, USC is THE university of California as far as football goes. Cal is not a football school, and the admin support/ fan base/ facilities are not top 25. Not by a long shot, for any of those factors.

Those Texas schools will do just fine. Texas has lots of talent to go around.

Cal always *should* have been recruiting that high, but let’s face it, USC is THE university of California as far as football goes. Cal is not a football school, and the admin support/ fan base/ facilities are not top 25. Not by a long shot, for any of those factors.

Those Texas schools will do just fine. Texas has lots of talent to go around.
With a competent coach cal will be fine, they are an elite acemdemic institution with tons of kids close to them. Just look at that running back two years ago that went to bama and almost switched to cal at the last minute, kids want to go there.

And I disagree with saying those Texas schools will be fine, there is a lot of talent but if Texas, OU and A&M are recruiting at a high level they are screwed because they have to compete with a ton of other programs for those second tier kids and their options are better out of state.

With a competent coach cal will be fine, they are an elite acemdemic institution with tons of kids close to them. Just look at that running back two years ago that went to bama and almost switched to cal at the last minute, kids want to go there.

And I disagree with saying those Texas schools will be fine, there is a lot of talent but if Texas, OU and A&M are recruiting at a high level they are screwed because they have to compete with a ton of other programs for those second tier kids and their options are better out of state.
Disagree about the other Texas schools. Their facilities are incredible - Baylor’s are as good as ours - and playing near home is nice for a lot of kids. Cal is elite, sure, but that’s not a huge recruiting draw. The facilities at Cal are not good at all, not even compared to the school across the bay, and the admin supports the program almost not at all. Stadium is in a nice spot at least.

But anyways, reasonable people can disagree.

1. east coast bias which is real
2. California is not producing as it once was. See.AZ and Las Vegas.

This is exactly right. Our (The Pac-12) talent pool is not as deep or as high quality as it once was. SOCAL simply doesn’t have enough talent for alll of the schools that are recruiting there.

The fact that all of the Pac-12 schools are desirable destinations along with the fact that much of the Big-10 and Big-12 are raiding our footprint means that the pac-12 is more balanced and less likely to be in the final four than the other conferences.

Back