What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Poll #3 : Who Should be the Next Coach at CU?

Who Should be the Next Coach at CU?

• Total voters

Agent Dave Kujan

Club Member
Club Member
The most votes are consistently going to up and coming P5 assistants with the exception of Dana Holgorsen. The AllBuffs faithful is clearly steering away from the hot G5 head coaches. Coupling this with our beloved leader Rick George's comments about "young energetic, recruiters" and I think we all have a sense of where this is going.

Greg Schiano and Jeff Tedford who garnered the lowest votes in poll #2, are dropped from the poll although after gauging the comments in their respective threads, I think AB Nation would be OK with them should the be hired.

Added are the interesting names of Tosh Lupoi, Dave Aranda, and Chip Long. After reading their profiles, I am going to be changing my vote.

If you should elect "Other" please put their name in the thread so that we can consider for future polls, although I hope this thing is done before we have time for another poll.

Vote for two and votes are public.

I think it's pointing to Lupoi, imo, but I'd still like Holgo if at all possible.

I think it's pointing to Lupoi, imo, but I'd still like Holgo if at all possible.
I think if it was Holgo, we'd at least be hearing some semi-substantiated rumors by now.

Actually, let me amend that: I think if it was anyone who isn't coaching in college this weekend, we'd at least be hearing some semi-substantiated rumors by now.

Of the names on this poll, that would eliminate:
Holgorsen
Fisch
Babers
Long
Aranda

So, of the names that are left, it would mean:
Lake
Day
Tucker
Lupoi

I'd be pleased with any of those four.

Day has really grown on me. Still have love for Lake, but I'm really kind of wanting a top tier offense.

Plus if Day can bring Grinch with him? Best case scenario.

Lake and Day

My votes exactly
Lake has huge upside in many conference and tactical ways, but Day has rock solid benefits as well. Crazy that I may root for Washington for the first time ever. But, gotta go for Northwestern due to Barnett’s time up there. Kind of a sister school of ours. David vs Goliath

Throwing in my ****-tier opinion here, but the defensive coordinators for some reason don't excite me as much. I voted for Holgerson and Day. I'd rate Lupoi as third, but frankly I'd have all three of those guys basically tied for #1.

Of the defense-first guys I guess the LSU DC excites me more than Lake. Maybe because he just seems super highly regarded. Although maybe that's just hype.

Throwing in my ****-tier opinion here, but the defensive coordinators for some reason don't excite me as much. I voted for Holgerson and Day. I'd rate Lupoi as third, but frankly I'd have all three of those guys basically tied for #1.

Of the defense-first guys I guess the LSU DC excites me more than Lake. Maybe because he just seems super highly regarded. Although maybe that's just hype.
You know Tosh is a former defensive lineman and current DC, right?

I would be happy with any of the coordinator possibilities.

I wouldn’t waste the time / money on hiring an established head coach - unless it is someone regularly competing and playing in big time bowl games.

I just pulled my head out of the sand and started reading the tea leaves......

Mark Johnson’s tweet.....
The plausible denial........
The word on the street in Nashville....

Let me introduce you to the next coach of Your Colorado Buffaloes Derek Mason!!!!

Kinda rings a bit hollow.

I think if it was Holgo, we'd at least be hearing some semi-substantiated rumors by now.

Actually, let me amend that: I think if it was anyone who isn't coaching in college this weekend, we'd at least be hearing some semi-substantiated rumors by now.

Of the names on this poll, that would eliminate:
Holgorsen
Fisch
Babers
Long
Aranda

So, of the names that are left, it would mean:
Lake
Day
Tucker
Lupoi

I'd be pleased with any of those four.
I guess I don’t understand why, if it’s someone in a ccg, we are waiting. But that if that same someone is going to be in the playoffs, announcing is cool.

I guess I don’t understand why, if it’s someone in a ccg, we are waiting. But that if that same someone is going to be in the playoffs, announcing is cool.

Because the coaches generally do not have time to be lining up a job during this week. They have more time after this weekend.

4 weeks > 1 week.

This is something I don't think a lot of folks realize, but when there's a game every week football coaches literally spend almost every spare moment getting their team ready to play. What spare moments they aren't doing that, they're recruiting.

If you're coaching a team in the ccg, you don't have time to breathe, let alone interview for or make a decision about another job.

But if you've got 4 weeks till your next game, you have time to do those things.

I cannot stress how much of a head start Jimmy Lake has on every other candidate related to recruiting in our footprint, and his familiarity with all of our conference opponents. IF, and this is the main IF he has a really good option for his Offensive Coordinator, then he is a home run guy, because when you listen to him articulate his coaching plans, he is amazing to listen to speak, and I would think that our players would be attracted to this guy, and realize he is the next step in getting the Rise back on track after the Fall Back of 2017-18.

Also, whenever we played Washington the past 3 years, I truly hated the bravado and trash talking and over confidence that the Washington defense had over us, but GD they backed it up every time and flat out whooped our asses. That arrogance and confidence came from Jimmy Lake, and I want me some of that. Defense travels and keeps you in every game, and if the OC is solid, we are winners.

Lake has a head start, but Day would also be such a massive upgrade it would also be a fun ride.

Mason is a dud just based on where we are and where he has gone thus far. It almost feels like we could have pulled off a Baseball trade and just traded Vanderbilt MM for DM?

4 weeks > 1 week.

This is something I don't think a lot of folks realize, but when there's a game every week football coaches literally spend almost every spare moment getting their team ready to play. What spare moments they aren't doing that, they're recruiting.

If you're coaching a team in the ccg, you don't have time to breathe, let alone interview for or make a decision about another job.

But if you've got 4 weeks till your next game, you have time to do those things.
In guess my question is - if the coach is going to give up on the team and not coach after he’s been announced (as I think a lot of them do)...why is the ccg the barometer and not the playoff. I get the “longer time to digest”, etc. I was just asking about coaches who quit.

Back