What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Poll: The next coach at CU

Who realistically should be the next coach of the CU Football team

• Dana Holgorsen

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • Seth Littrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lane Kiffin

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Jimmy Lake

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • Jeff Tedford

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Jedd Fisch

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Bryan Harsin

• Dave Aranda

• Mike Norvell

• Other

Votes: 23 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent Dave Kujan

Club Member
Club Member
I’m sure there are other names but these seem to be the most realistic options. You can change your vote. If you vote “Other” post who. If we get enough votes for him, I will edit.

Last edited:
As we stand, my top-3 are Holgorsen, Jimmy Lake, and Mel Tucker, in some order. I'd be thrilled with any of these guys. Of the 3, Lake seems like the most gettable. I'll throw Matt Campbell and Dino Babers in there too, but I don't think either of those guys is a realistic enough option to even have a discussion about. I wouldn't jump off a cliff if we hired Tedford, Fisch or Schiano. I'd seriously consider it if we hired Kiffin or Leavitt.

One thing: no more "life coaches". It sounds nice. Works well in the press. The larger community thinks it's wonderful and much more palatable than what their uninformed and negative perception is of football culture. But that cannot be the #1 priority of a football team just like it wouldn't work in real life in a for profit business or any other results-oriented profession.

One thing: no more "life coaches". It sounds nice. Works well in the press. The larger community thinks it's wonderful and much more palatable than what their uninformed and negative perception is of football culture. But that cannot be the #1 priority of a football team just like it wouldn't work in real life in a for profit business or any other results-oriented profession.
All of the coaches at the top of the list (Lake, Holgo, Tucker, Fisch, etc.) don't seem to have a dark cloud over them. So there's no reason why we can't get an outstanding coach that has 'life coach' characteristics. It should definitely be part of the evaluation equation, IMO. It's tough for a community to get behind a program (particularly Boulder) when you've got a bunch of convicts on the team.

All of the coaches at the top of the list (Lake, Holgo, Tucker, Fisch, etc.) don't seem to have a dark cloud over them. So there's no reason why we can't get an outstanding coach that has 'life coach' characteristics. It should definitely be part of the evaluation equation, IMO. It's tough for a community to get behind a program (particularly Boulder) when you've got a bunch of convicts on the team.
Where did I say I wanted a bunch of convicts on the team? Where did I say that I didn't want any life coach characteristics? My issue with it is when it's the #1 priority of the program. When guys who aren't doing the right things or can't play winning football are coddled because the focus is on their journey into becoming men instead of on whether they can help you win football games. When guys who make plays but are a little immature or erratic end up on the bench because there's a good citizen who has a perfect academic attendance record and watches a lot of extra football film in his spare time at the same position and that guy is preferred.

Sorry. The fact is - and anyone who has played will tell you this - is that there are guys on any football team who don't eat right, party too much, goof off a bit at times at practice or in the film room, have an attitude problem toward coaches or teammates, are horrible students, don't love the weight room, sleep with teammates' girfriends, or get into fights. You can't have a whole team of that and it can't be your defining culture, but it is a mix and it's weirdly healthy to have some of that mixed in to keep the tension up. And the bottom line is that no matter what character faults a player might have from the above list, his teammates want him to be the guy who is on the field on game day if he's going to do more to help the team win than someone else. Football players respect the bottom line of performance and that the sport is a meritocracy. They are happier in a culture where their snap count is defined by whether they're the guy at their position who will make the plays instead of it being based even in part on other things.

Where did I say I wanted a bunch of convicts on the team? Where did I say that I didn't want any life coach characteristics? My issue with it is when it's the #1 priority of the program. When guys who aren't doing the right things or can't play winning football are coddled because the focus is on their journey into becoming men instead of on whether they can help you win football games. When guys who make plays but are a little immature or erratic end up on the bench because there's a good citizen who has a perfect academic attendance record and watches a lot of extra football film in his spare time at the same position and that guy is preferred.

Sorry. The fact is - and anyone who has played will tell you this - is that there are guys on any football team who don't eat right, party too much, goof off a bit at times at practice or in the film room, have an attitude problem toward coaches or teammates, are horrible students, don't love the weight room, sleep with teammates' girfriends, or get into fights. You can't have a whole team of that and it can't be your defining culture, but it is a mix and it's weirdly healthy to have some of that mixed in to keep the tension up. And the bottom line is that no matter what character faults a player might have from the above list, his teammates want him to be the guy who is on the field on game day if he's going to do more to help the team win than someone else. Football players respect the bottom line of performance and that the sport is a meritocracy. They are happier in a culture where their snap count is defined by whether they're the guy at their position who will make the plays instead of it being based even in part on other things.

I'm with you Buffnik. I'm in the "hey Snowflake;I'm not your Mom" category. We will give you a free education, a cost of living stipend, room, board and world-class facilities with all the academic help you need. Guess what, "life" just got a lot better!

Jedd Fisch is my realistic #1 after watching the interview someone posted (@Buffnik I think (?)). My dream is Holgorsen, imagine him with Viska... but I don't see why he would leave WVU. I could see EB getting the job based on his recent success and connections with the buffs. Lake too, I like the whole "Best team in conference, best coordinator" option.

I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas tbh

Nik, I didn't accuse you of any of those things. You did say 'no life coaches'. My only point was I think that has to be a component of the coach evaluation process. That's one of the reasons why I would rank Lake over Kiffen. Two great coaches but there's some baggage that seems to come with Kiffen. We're in agreement that it's a performance based business and I understand that it will involve all kinds of characters - honestly just like any business does.

I'm with you Buffnik. I'm in the "hey Snowflake;I'm not your Mom" category. We will give you a free education, a cost of living stipend, room, board and world-class facilities with all the academic help you need. Guess what, "life" just got a lot better!

What about Mike Barry? He's tan, rested and ready.
p-barry02.jpg

Nik, I didn't accuse you of any of those things. You did say 'no life coaches'. My only point was I think that has to be a component of the coach evaluation process. That's one of the reasons why I would rank Lake over Kiffen. Two great coaches but there's some baggage that seems to come with Kiffen. We're in agreement that it's a performance based business and I understand that it will involve all kinds of characters - honestly just like any business does.
OK. Cool. I was afraid that you wanted another coach who spends a lot of his energy worrying about APR, graduation rate and community service. Like that reporter in the first Miles presser.

I want an organization and structure that supports and promotes that stuff. And I do want coaches who genuinely care about the players. But I've always liked coaches who treated that as a 2-way street and cared a hell of a lot more about a player if he had earned that HC's personal attention by standing out with the way he was going after it and/or making plays. You're supposed to have staff members who babysit and try to mentor the guys who haven't earned the HC's personal attention. That's generally the way in successful organizations (i.e., the president of the company doesn't take the time to get to know the sales rep all that well who is in the bottom 20% of your team's performance).

It's a weird push-pull for me, too.

I love Mister Rogers and think his message was 100% sound in how he said to treat others. Love them for exactly who they are. It's beautiful and inspirational.

But I also have never seen that work in a high stress, results-oriented pressure cooker environment. A lot of life requires something different. I don't know if that's a good thing for a society and its mental health, but it is the society in which we live. And within that, it's not about you being a loved and respected snowflake for being exactly who you are and then being nurtured by those you work for and around. It's about whether you can earn the respect of your bosses and peers by performing and standing out to show that there's something special about you - or at least that they can trust you to do what's asked of you. For better or worse, that's what works in a bottom line enterprise.

Fisch

The whole giant plan he put supposedly put together for Kansas would be something RG falls in love with IMO. If he wants to come here I think it’s his.

Shut-up Whistle-Dick! Stay away from my knees!!!!

Its been over 25 years since I've been called Whistle-Dick. At least you didn't tell me to put my head in a bucket of ****, so for that, I thank you. And to be clear, I never threatened his knees. It was the achiles tendons I was going after.

Back