What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Postseason debate

seattlebuff

So, I'd love to see us win out and make a run in the P12 tourney and lock down a spot in the Dance. But that's unlikely, I think we all agree.

More likely, we finish with 17-19 wins and claim an NIT seed. Coming into this year, losing Tory and knowing 4 freshmen would have to contribute significantly, the NIT would have been a total surprise. And it's right there to grab.

But the question ... if we stumble down the stretch, do we accept the CBI bid? I remember the debacle last time, and many people on here said it wasn't worth the embarassment and money, we should have turned it down. That was a different team tho, lot of vets ... and Ski didn't play at all and XJ was hurt in Seattle if I recall.

So if it came down to it (hopefully not), should we accept a CBI bid? I say hell yes, this team would benefit tremendously from the extra practices and games.

Let's hope we don't have to make that decision.

I don't think we will have to make that decision. Unless we fall apart we should get a NIT bid and without a lot of stress leading in. I don't see us making another fantastic run through the conference tourney and that's the only way we get to the NCAAs.

For a team as young as ours any post-season tourney experience is a plus. The NIT would be a big positive because we would be travelling to other programs that aren't far out of the tourney and into some loud and hostile venues.

The CBI would be a positive but the quality of competition and intensity is much lower. It would also mean that we had pretty much fallen apart at the end of the season so a lot of guys might be already checked out leading to another ugly finish.

I mean, if you want to talk about ****ty things, this is a great thread.
Why is it ****ty? It's a legit question, and a source of lots of consternation on this board not long ago. And the NIT is not guaranteed at all. We have 5 tough games ahead (we always make WSU look waay better than they actually are in Pullman.)

I'm just glad you posted something negative outside of a game thread. Welcome to the board!

I don't think we will have to make that decision. Unless we fall apart we should get a NIT bid and without a lot of stress leading in. I don't see us making another fantastic run through the conference tourney and that's the only way we get to the NCAAs.

For a team as young as ours any post-season tourney experience is a plus. The NIT would be a big positive because we would be travelling to other programs that aren't far out of the tourney and into some loud and hostile venues.

The CBI would be a positive but the quality of competition and intensity is much lower. It would also mean that we had pretty much fallen apart at the end of the season so a lot of guys might be already checked out leading to another ugly finish.
For the record, I expected 20 wins. I said for 2 years, Walton would be a player, and the film on Bey, Wright, Battey, and Schwartz showed me enough to know a drop off shouldn't have been expected.

Great win today! Let’s get a win at Wazzu!

(I’ve got no desire to prognosticate and then let guesses by others piss me off)

I am extremely confident this team makes the NIT. I fully expect at least one more win this season which will be enough to get to the NIT. I also expect at least one more loss. As for the rest of the games....who knows, but I am going to have fun watching!

No matter the outcome, you take the post-season bid you are offered. CU can still get into the NCAA by winning the PAC-12 tournament and this team has shown they can beat the best team in the PAC12 this season, so it is not a stretch. Tad has shown he uses the NIT and CBI for extra practice time and prepare his team for the following season.

I am extremely confident this team makes the NIT. I fully expect at least one more win this season which will be enough to get to the NIT. I also expect at least one more loss. As for the rest of the games....who knows, but I am going to have fun watching!

The body of work we have is pretty solid NIT......don't see that changing unless we lose to WSU Thursday or lose to them, Cal, or OSU in the conference tournament. As far as the NCAAs, I think its a win at UW and probably a run to the Pac 12 semis at least. As far as the CBI, I said early in the year that that type of tournament would make sense for this group, and I still think that. This team has 8 freshmen on it-the more basketball they play, the better off we'll be for the next couple years to come.

For the Big Dance they can probably only afford a loss @ Washington, possibly @ Utah, but only 1 of those 2. Lose @ Wazzou on Thurs and they'll need to win the whole thing in Vegas. For the NIT they probably need 10 conference wins and a win in Vegas to feel safe.

So, as Darth Snow so eloquently stated, apparently the only real Buffs fan is one who ignores the obvious and just blindlessly plays cheerleader.

But it appears likely now that I’m right. We’re gonna have to choose whether to accept a CBI bid or not. I absolutely think we should.

So, as Darth Snow so eloquently stated, apparently the only real Buffs fan is one who ignores the obvious and just blindlessly plays cheerleader.

But it appears likely now that I’m right. We’re gonna have to choose whether to accept a CBI bid or not. I absolutely think we should.
Who hurt you as a child?

Congrats on being right about the team losing? Foh.
Not looking for congrats ... I'm just saying this was a real possibility even a week ago, when you looked at our schedule. WSU was the only game that we would be favored, and we blew that one. So now, 15-15 looks more likely, and a we're gonna have to play a high seed in Vegas. CBI is now highly likely.

This is the type of roster where the CBI would make sense if it comes to that. I'm not chalking up these two this week as sure L's-if this team plays like its capable, I think we beat USC and UCLA.

This is the type of roster where the CBI would make sense if it comes to that. I'm not chalking up these two this week as sure L's-if this team plays like its capable, I think we beat USC and UCLA.

I think we get two more wins. Probably that comes from the LA schools but it might involve a first round win in the tourney or even at Utah.

History would indicate that a P5 conference team with 17 wins has a chance at the NIT. Last year Georgia Tech and Clemson got in with 17. Win two more plus a tourney game would give us a good shot as 6 teams got in with 18 or less. Our beating a couple of ranked teams on the way helps.

If we end up in the CBI then we take it and gain from the experience but the NIT would be better and I think we end up there.

I suppose so, but the last CBI was certainly a downer...come to think of it, the last NIT was a bit of a downer also. Oh well - maybe we’re due for an improved playoff experience.

Last edited:
I suppose so, but the last CBI was certainly a downer...

Last CBI we had a veteran dominated team that had come into the season with much higher expectation. They went into the tourney with a "why bother" attitude that resulted in an embarrassing result.

This years team is freshman dominated and came into the season with hopes but not with great expectations. They could see the tourney as an opportunity to finish the year on a good note. The seniors who do play larger roles including GK and Dom also seem like the kind of guys who would want to finish on a high note.

I suppose so, but the last CBI was certainly a downer...

Exactly. That was my whole point in starting this thread. (But for some, that’s just being negative.) I remember all the people on here saying we should have turned it down, it was a black eye for the program, waste of money. It did suck badly ... I was at the Seattle U game. Losing to that team in a midsize high school gym was a complete embarrassment. There was no concession stand. Seats only on one side of the court. I wanted to put a bag over my head walking out.

But this is a totally different team, and these kids would absolutely benefit from the extra games and practices, no matter the outcome.

If the FBI report come out soon we have a good chance of being a 2nd or 3rd seed. 35 to 50 of the top teams cheating. That's 50 to 75% of the P5 + Big East. Don't know if it will get released in time but next year we will be sitting pretty.

If the FBI report come out soon we have a good chance of being a 2nd or 3rd seed. 35 to 50 of the top teams cheating. That's 50 to 75% of the P5 + Big East. Don't know if it will get released in time but next year we will be sitting pretty.

How I wish but unless the feds take direct action don't count on it.

The NCAA will do everything they can to protect the schools that make them money.

If you can ignore UNC basically giving kids credits for years without anything resembling a class you can figure out how to ignore almost anything.

Hmm. So it was a legit question to begin with after all, something someone who covers the team all the time asked and Tad has thought about, obviously put a lot of thought into .... but of course, ahoelsken and Snow just had to be a-holes about it.

Last edited:
It's just weird to me when people start threads like this on a day when the Buffs are on a 3 game winning streak. I don't get why anyone would want to talk about CBI at a time when the NCAA is still on the table. Not that there's anything wrong with the topic. The timing was just off.

It's just weird to me when people start threads like this on a day when the Buffs are on a 3 game winning streak. I don't get why anyone would want to talk about CBI at a time when the NCAA is still on the table. Not that there's anything wrong with the topic. The timing was just off.

Steven Wright: "I'm a peripheral visionary. I can see the future, just way off to the side."

Back