What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Protecting McKinley Wright

seattlebuff

For context, my CU hoops experience goes back to the late 80s, when Vandiver was the star, and then Boyce, Chauncey, Harrison, Burks, Spencer, et al

My feeling is that Kin is the most dynamic, program-altering force to come into CU hoops since Chauncey. Not saying he's the best player (given his height, he's not even a sure-fire pro prospect) but given his immediate impact on the program this year and hopefully in the future, and the type of fearless, do-everything player and leader that he is, our success the next 2-3 years (which could be very high) rides squarely on him.

So is it crazy to think that the coaches should discourage him going for so many offensive rebounds? He's absolutely amazing for a guy his size, but we've seen twice now him having severe ankle rolls going for boards with bigs down low. It just feels like with so much of our success tied to his dynamic play, we can do without that part, with so much risk involved.

Is that a dumb idea?

I think you’ve got to let a guy play. I see your point, so maybe there’s a talk about picking spots due to transition defense to pull that back a bit, but that’s as far as I’d go.

I think you’ve got to let a guy play. I see your point, so maybe there’s a talk about picking spots due to transition defense to pull that back a bit, but that’s as far as I’d go.

Agree, can't mess with his game.

He is the player he is because he plays that full out go for everything style. Don't know if you could change it without messing up his game.

And thankfully being a great college game doesn't have to mean a guy is a great pro prospect. HIs size, and to a lesser extent his weak percentage from the outside, may mean that we get to have him around for 3 more years. If he were 6'5" we would be wondering when he enters the draft.

Wright gets thrown to the floor on every third drive to the hoop as well. That's just his game.

It might also be a product of the way we had to play this year after Tory's injury in particular......I think we need big man/rebounding help.

It might also be a product of the way we had to play this year after Tory's injury in particular......I think we need big man/rebounding help.
Agree with that ... as Bey, Siewert and Walton get stronger on the glass (plus Miller and Battey), maybe Kin feels less obligation to crash the boards.

I agree that if we can get the O board help from the 3-5 position, he won't need to go as often.

That being said, I LOVE his effort / timing on some of those. Huge energy / momentum plays.

Back