What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RR Ralphie Report: Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A with Corn Nation

RSSBot

News Junkie
Iowa v Nebraska

Photo by Eric Francis/Getty Images

This one is a doozy

Every year, as often as possible, we try to chat with the other SB Nation blogs about their team. I’ve been doing this for almost ten (!!!) years now, and it’s one of my favorite parts of writing about the Colorado Buffaloes. This week’s is one of my favorites of all time, reminiscent of our interplay with California Golden Blogs (RIP). Tomorrow is a big day, the biggest! CU plays Nebraska, and those evil Huskers are attempting to defeat the lowly Buffs for the first time in four tries. It seems like their best chance yet. I asked Corn Nation a few questions about the game and I got back more than I bargained for. I said before and I’ll say it again, Jon Johnston is one of the best of us. Read below!

1. It’s been about 5,000 days since Nebraska defeated Colorado. What was your favorite and least favorite of those days?​

Nate M: Least favorite? Today for sure since I’m answering these questions. Favorite? Saturday.

Patrick: Favorite - We are still in the Big Ten and have not been bouncing around conferences. Least favorite - Scott Frost.

Andy: Least favorite? That time I Door Dashed a bunch of Freddy’s and the bastards didn’t put any of their fry sauce in the bag.

Favorite? What I did with the cash after I stole a million bucks off my company.

(the original gif would not load so this was an editorial choice)

Jarek: Least favorite is the day sports was canceled in 2020 due to the Pandemic. Favorite was the day my daughter was born because my wife and I had more time because of no sports.

Mike: Least favorite sports day was November 30, 2014 when Nebraska’s administration made the ill-advised decision to (1) fire Nebraska’s winningest 21st century football coach, Bo Pelini, and then (2) decide to target a failing Oregon State head coach in Mike Riley. Yeah, that turned out about like you thought it would. Favorite? Well, thanks to the “least” list, I don’t have a lot of Husker favorite days, but I will always have November 2, 2016, when at 11:47 pm central time, Kris Bryant fielded a slow roller and threw to Anthony Rizzo to end the greatest baseball game ever played.

2. Dylan Raiola is a very exciting young quarterback. Matt Rhule is an established winning coach. The last time Nebraska had a winning coach and an exciting young quarterback, Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez never quite put it together. What makes this time different?​

Nate M: On the Colorado side of things? Probably a lack of interest in developing football players to sustain a program.

Patrick: We have a coach that seems to not have any personal demons that are harming the team or his ability to coach. That, and Raiola is a legitimate stud.

Andy: We have Matt Rhule and not Scott Frost. BTW, the Adrian Martinez thing is actually writing itself a pretty good story these days.

Jarek: Martinez couldn’t stay healthy because the O-Line couldn’t keep him upright, while Frost struggled to keep himself upright. It’s really early in this new dynamic, but I feel it’s more exciting than Frost/Martinez. Martinez will make an NFL roster as a backup shortly though.

Mike: Mike Riley left NU with a woeful offensive line, and that’s something that has taken years to recover from. Raiola has better protection, plus a much better quarterback mentor in former Steelers assistant Glenn Thomas on the coaching staff.

3. This Nebraska roster looks improved across the board from last year. Which position group has seen the most progress compared to 2023?​

Nate M: Every group is improved but they still need to take care of the ball.

Patrick: I would say the backfield with Dylan at QB and a stable of running backs that can give Nebraska quality yardage.

Andy: Quarterback first, since just having Raiola in there is about a 15 turnover margin swing for the season just by itself. Ty Robinson and Nash Hutmacher returning for their extra year was like hitting two five stars out of the portal. The offensive line is deeper. The wide receiver room is deeper. Now, can we finally win the close ones.

Jarek: For me, I was very impressed with the progress of the O-Line at the outset of this season. Raiola has a ton of time to throw, which wasn’t the case for a huge chunk of last year and they are opening larger running lanes.

Mike: Everyone wants to go to the easy answer at quarterback, but I’m pointing at the receiver room. Last year’s starters are now third string, thanks to incoming transfers and injured players returning to form.

4. Who are the players to watch on offense? On defense?​

Nate M: The player on offense I think people should keep an eye on is wide receiver Isaiah Neyor. Defensively is Nash Hutmacher on the defensive line.

Patrick: I would agree with Nate on Neyor. He seems to be a win from the transfer portal. Started his career at Wyoming and did very well. He was at Texas last year but suffered an injury and ended up at Nebraska. On defense I would say Tommi Hill at corner. He will help determine if Colorado can score or not as I am not sure you folks have a ground game.

Andy: I’ll state the obvious - c’mon, on offense it’s got to be Dylan. He will not be Santa Clausing dropped snaps to the Buffs or firing strays 10 feet over wide open receivers in the middle. That alone would be marked improvement, but he also brings arm talent and smarts beyond his years to the table.

On defense, look for Jimari Butler. He quietly - if that’s possible - led the Huskers in TFL’s last season and will be terror especially if Ty and Polar Bear draw double teams.

Jarek: On offense I’ll have to go with Raiola. I think he put one pass in genuine jeopardy last week, which was a huge improvement from last season.

Defensively…it’s tough to pick, but give me Ty Robinson. A lot of teams are going to focus on Nash Hutmacher, which will free Ty up.

5. What is your prediction for the game?​

Nate M: If Nebraska takes care of the ball then I think they win by double digits.

Patrick: To be honest, I have no idea right now. They are two totally different teams and it is still early in the year. I would agree with Nate though once again. If Nebraska can take care of the ball on offense, it’s ours to win. Basically grind the ground game to eat up the clock and pass when they can. Yardage will be there as long as no turnovers are made. If Nebraska can’t, then Colorado has the playmakers to make it a long night for the good people on the prairie.

Andy: I tend to eat these words the last few years - well, more like have them pie-smashed in my face - but I believe the turnover battle will be even-up at worse and that alone makes a different game.

The CU O-line with five new starters for the second straight season looks out of sync and a night game in Lincoln isn’t the place to straighten that out. Shedeur will scramble to find Hunter and Jimmy Horn for some points but not at will and not enough - this isn’t NDSU’s secondary. And Raiola’s arm will both gain yards through the air and, with that, open up the ground game.

The streak will break at 5054 days - making it my new favorite day over two chicks at the same time - Final: Huskers 33 Buffaloafs 24.

Jarek: Last year I was so certain that Nebraska was going to win, I bet a handful of friends a friendly $5. That was a good $50 pissed down the drain in amazing frustration. I think this can’t turn into a track meet for Nebraska. Keep it under 30 points and Nebraska wins, get over that and I’m not sure we celebrate a win.

Mike: Nebraska lost last year’s game due to unforced errors by Jeff Sims. Couldn’t field a snap, couldn’t hand the ball off, threw it right to Colorado defensive backs. The Buffs capitalized on those mistakes and won. Based on what I saw week one, I see a Nebraska team that made major strides in addressing their shortcomings, and a Colorado team that didn’t. Colorado will score some points, to be sure. Shedeur and those receivers are going to make plays…but Nebraska’s defensive line is going to have better luck getting to Sanders. But when Nebraska has the ball, they are going to control things. Huskers 38, Buffs 21

by Jack Barsch
Continue reading...

Back