What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

RR Ralphie Report: Roundtable: Staff Predictions for the 2024 Colorado Buffaloes

RSSBot

News Junkie
Oregon State v Colorado

Photo by Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

Taking a look at the season to come.

We’re finally here! After last season’s tumult, an even more hectic transfer portal, and a preseason of headlines upon headlines, we’re ready for the 2024 season.

Back in the Big 12, the Buffs are looking to establish themselves in Coach Prime’s second year at the helm. The team looks good with Shedeur Sanders and Travis Hunter leading the way, but there are still questions about the depth, the coaches and the program as a whole.

What are reasonable expectations for Deion Sanders and the 2024 Buffs?​

Ryland: Kinda generic answer, but we should expect a fun and flashy style of football. Regardless of their record, Colorado’s offense is going to air the hell out of the ball. Their secondary is going to hawk for turnovers. Their defensive line should get to the quarterback often. Even if the Buffs don’t win games, there’s gonna be some insane highlights in 2024.

Sam: I would like to see a good, fun team that’s competitive in the Big 12 and makes a decent bowl game.

Jack: No such thing as reasonable when you’re talking about Deion Sanders. And that’s on every side of the issue. The easy answer is a bowl game. They should win as much as they lose. I shout this from the rooftop every time I can, but the Buffs got 22 points better. Per game. That is insanity and the highest number by a lot of any other team. Can CU get 7,10 points better on top of that per game? If so, they will win more than they use.

Cam: They’ll be interesting. And maybe that’s not entirely because of football, but they’ll be interesting nonetheless. Travis Hunter alone will be worth the price of admission.

What’s the ceiling for this team?​

Ryland: This team caps out at 9 wins. The schedule gods were not kind to the Buffs, giving us the five best teams in the Big 12 and a brutal non-conference slate. With K-State, Utah, Oklahoma State, Arizona and Kansas all on our schedule, winning the Big 12 is probably out of the picture.

Jake: I think best case scenario we’re looking at is about 8 wins. The Big 12 is extremely competitive this season and the Buffs have no easy match-ups.

Sam: Best case he offensive line holds up enough that Shedeur doesn’t get hurt, the d-line doesn’t run over for 300 yards every game, and we’re must watch TV playing 48-45 shootouts. At that point I don’t care about wins and losses.

Jack: The two Debbie Downers above don’t even know that the ceiling is the roof for this team. We are asking about ceiling! Best case! CU has two of the top 10 players in the country on their team. Best case, the lines click and the Buffs can’t be stopped. No injuries jeopardize the depth and Robert Livingston is the truth. Back to back games against Utah and Oklahoma State determine if the Buffs win 9, 10 or 11 games.

Cam: I can see them winning 9 games. I don’t think they will, but I can see it. They have two of the best five offensive players in college football this year with a much-improved defense in a conference that doesn’t even give a **** about defense. If they can show that they learned something from the Stanford Parents Night fiasco, I can sorta buy into the optimism.

And the floor?​

Ryland: With the high-level talent on this team and upgraded offensive and defensive lines, I struggle to find a world where we don’t make a bowl game. I think the floor is probably 6-6.

Jake: This is a much improved football team. Last season 4-8 with losing multiple close games. This year the floor is a mishap like a Sheduer Sanders injury, and that’s still about 4-8.

Sam: The floor is loooooooow. We’re talking coaching controversies, NCAA investigations, transfer portal exits, players quitting to prepare for the draft, and maybe a certain someone abandons his 3-win team.

Jack: Sam is still in Karl Dorrell mode. The circus absolutely determines the floor, but on the field, the Buffs have at least 4 guaranteed wins that I see.

Cam: 3 wins, 6 disastrous press conferences, and countless overly-smug Denver Post columns.

What’s the most important game of the season?​

Ryland: Kansas State at home during week seven. Colorado’s first six games are a cakewalk compared to the last six, so getting off on the right foot is imperative. If the Buffs can beat a likely-ranked Wildcats team at Folsom to begin the hardest stretch of their schedule, this team could make some noise in the Big 12.

Sam: It’s Nebraska, guys. They’re absolutely hyped for Year Two of Matt Rhule. They’re hungry for revenge. They even have their next QB of the future in Dylan Raiola. Even if this season falls apart, beating Nebraska in Lincoln would ruin their season before it gets started.

Jack: No answer is valid other than Nebraska. They have not defeated Colorado in 5000 days. Let’s keep it that way.

Cam: Nebraska. Even if you put every football reason aside, it’s still Nebraska.

Most dangerous?​

Ryland: The obvious answer here is NDSU. Bringing in an FCS power known for upsetting teams in power conferences is REALLY risky business, especially to open your season. The fun answer is at UCF for week 5. The Knights are super slept on this season in my opinion. We know Gus Malzahn is a great coach, but the personnel on that roster is what makes this game so scary. KJ Jefferson is an underrated addition to the team, and they managed to keep WR Kobe Hudson and RB RJ Harvey. The Knights also have an underrated pass-rush unit. Don’t be shocked if the Buffs drop this one in Orlando.

Sam: Colorado State, like Nebraska, is out for blood. They caused all kinds of problems for the Buffs last year and they look even better this year. CSU fans will be awful, their players will head hunt (again) and the game will be a rock fight. I don’t know if these Buffs are built for that but we will find out by Week 3.

Jack: Well, what does dangerous mean? Like most downside? If so, then the answer is NDSU. I’m not scared of CSU at all this year (just like last time and that worked out great!). In terms of pure drop-the-ball potential, CU needs to beat Baylor and Cincinnati. Those are the only two teams in the conference that are definitely sitting below the Buffs.

Cam: Utah. They’re really good, and the Buffs probably won’t be able to spare too many losses by mid-November. At least it’s in Boulder?

Besides Shedeur Sanders and Travis Hunter, who is your MVP of the season?​

Ryland: My pick is LaJohntay Wester. I think he’s going to put up numbers this season. His speed alone will open up Colorado’s passing attack so much. He should be a reliable, open target for Shedeur across the middle of the field all season long.

Jake: You can’t underestimate the importance of a good pash rush, if the Buffaloes have success defensively I expect Dayon Hayes to be involved.

Sam: I want to remind everyone how important Jimmy Horn was last year as a third down option, but instead I’ll highlight DJ McKinney at cornerback. Similar to Jalil Brown and Ahkello Witherspoon, McKinney is going to be targeted constantly not because the QB is avoiding Hunter’s side of the field, just as they did Jimmy Smith and Chidobe Awuzie years before. His performance won’t make our break the defense, but he has the potential to have a tremendous season.

Jack: First of all, I love the Jalil Brown reference above, we need to bring some of those back. I’ll bring another reference from the Dan Hawkins era on board: George “The Rabid Goldfish” Hypolite. He was a menace on the edge through pure motor and savvy. BJ Green is a similar monster. In terms of pure talent, he is easily top 5 on the team and he is old. Green will win a game for the Buffs this year.

Cam: I’m with Jack – BJ Green’s the type of game-wrecker that they didn’t have last year. Rob Livingston comes from the Mike Zimmer coaching philosophy of “blitz everyone all the time,” which, in theory, means that Green will get a half-dozen or so one-on-ones per game. You’d like to think that’s more than enough.

Is there anyone the fans or media are sleeping on?​

Ryland: I think the media specifically is sleeping on the entire defensive line. On paper, this group should be one of the Buffs’ biggest strengths. The addition of BJ Green, Hayes, and Chidozie Nwankwo should transform this group into one of the better defensive fronts in the Big 12.

Jake: Charlie Offerdahl. The walk-on from southside Denver is a running back that can do it all. He will get plenty of touches and should be a fan favorite this season.

Sam: Now I’ll go with Horn. Hunter is Hunter, Wester is getting all kinds of hype as a gadget-type player and Will Sheppard steps into the X role where Xavier Weaver starred last year. Horn isn’t flashy but he’s going to move the chains and keep this offense on the field.

Jack: My boy Cam Silmon-Craig! Talk about a vocal leader. He just loves to play football and it shows on every snap. I expect him to organize the back 7 as much as possible. He may be undersized, but I was sharpened by Mike MacIntyre teams. Size doesn’t bother me. His passion will count.

Cam: Jordan Seaton. He was the biggest get of the Buffs’ offseason at their most crucial position of need, and how fast he’s able to adjust to Division 1 college football will be one of the biggest storylines of the first month. This team looks SO different if they get above average pass protection.

Give me one irrational prediction for this season.​

Ryland: Colorado beats Kansas in the Alamo Bowl, redeeming themselves for 2016 and 2020. Travis Hunter, Shedeur Sanders. Most of Colorado’s starters will sit out, but Kansas will also sit Jalon Daniels, Devin Neal and Cobee Bryant. Colorado’s depth over the Jayhawks wins out, and the Buffs walk away with their first bowl win since 2004.

Jake: After this season Shedeur Sanders and Hunter will both be taken in the first round. Shilo will go in the third round.

Sam: Buffs start the season 5-0 and don’t make a bowl game.

Jack: On both sides of the ball, CU will have the most targeting calls in the nation. People will want to hit CU hard and we all know that Shilo leads the headache gang.

Cam: Travis Hunter stays healthy, puts up one of the more insane seasons we’ve ever seen and wins the Heisman.

What’s your record prediction (with the specific wins)?​

Ryland: 7-5

• Wins: vs. NDSU, @ Nebraska, @ Colo. St., vs. Baylor, vs. Cinci, @ Kansas, @ Texas Tech
  • Loses: @ UCF, vs. K-State, @ U of A, vs. Utah, vs. Ok. St.

Jake: 7-5

• Wins: NDSU, Nebraska, CSU, Baylor, UCF, Cinci, Texas Tech
  • Losses: Kansas State, Kansas, Arizona, Utah, Oklahoma St.

Sam: 5-7

• Wins: NDSU, Nebraska, CSU, Baylor, UCF
  • Losses: Kansas State, Kansas, Arizona, Cincinnati, Utah, Oklahoma State

Cam: 6-6

• Wins: NDSU, @CSU, Cinci, Baylor, @Kansas, @Texas Tech
  • Losses: @Arizona, Utah, @Nebraska, OK State, K State, @UCF

Last one: What do the Buffs look like a year from now?​

Ryland: They’ll be without Deion Sanders, who takes the Florida job after they inevitably part ways with Billy Napier. Ryan Staub will start for the Buffs, while Charlie Offerdahl leads an effective rushing attack. Colorado’s defense will be picked clean by the portal, looking entirely different than in 2024.

Sam: Shedeur and Hunter declare for the draft, Deion leaves in a puff of smoke, Seaton and the big additions enter the transfer portal and everyone clowns on CU fans for thinking it would end any other way. And then? Rick George hires someone completely fine, he brings in sensible transfers from his former team, maybe even some recruits, and we resemble the run of the mill 5- to 7-win program we’re destined to become.

Cam: Significantly different. I do think the Buffs would be happy to have Sanders stay even after his Big 3 are gone, but I can’t see it happening. Pat Shurmur namedrops the NFL way too often in press conferences to actually want to stick around longer than he absolutely has to, and this does feel like a try out of sorts for Rob Livingston after hitting his ceiling with the Bengals. Like Ryland said, the transfer portal will come in hot. The pendulum will swing too far in the other direction and they’ll bring some Old Football Guy with a Storied History In The Game in to try and prove to everyone this wasn’t just a 2-year stunt. He’ll immediately take the social media handles off practice jerseys and it’ll be a thing. Then they’ll win 5 games.

by Sam Metivier
Continue reading...

Back