What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Red Zone efficiency - Both CU's and the statistic itself

unibuff

I was checking out our red zone efficiency and saw we've made 16 trips to the red zone and have 11 touchdowns and 3 FGs - which I thought was pretty good.

So I checked out the NCAA stats to see who is really good.

Conclusion - I have problem with how the NCAA measures the stat.

There are 6 teams tied for #1.
One is Navy with 18 trips to the red zone and 18 touchdowns.
Also # 1 is UL - Monroe with 12 trips to the red zone and 6 touchdowns and 6 find goals.

How can you say they are equally efficient in the red zone?

I think they should measure it based on 7pt/per red zone opportunity.

Navy would have 126 (18x7) point RZ opportunity and achieved 126 points - 100%
ULM would have 84 (12x7) point RZ opportunity and achieved 60 points - 71%

CU would have112 point RZ Opportunity and achieved 86 points - 77% efficiency

*maybe missed XPT and made 2 pt conversion should be figure i too.

Any thoughts????????????

I was checking out our red zone efficiency and saw we've made 16 trips to the red zone and have 11 touchdowns and 3 FGs - which I thought was pretty good.

So I checked out the NCAA stats to see who is really good.

Conclusion - I have problem with how the NCAA measures the stat.

There are 6 teams tied for #1.
One is Navy with 18 trips to the red zone and 18 touchdowns.
Also # 1 is UL - Monroe with 12 trips to the red zone and 6 touchdowns and 6 find goals.

How can you say they are equally efficient in the red zone?

I think they should measure it based on 7pt/per red zone opportunity.

Navy would have 126 (18x7) point RZ opportunity and achieved 126 points - 100%
ULM would have 84 (12x7) point RZ opportunity and achieved 60 points - 71%

CU would have112 point RZ Opportunity and achieved 86 points - 77% efficiency

*maybe missed XPT and made 2 pt conversion should be figure i too.

Any thoughts????????????
Since it takes 3 FGs to beat 1 TD, I would say points per red zone visit is much more important than scoring percentage. I know when we're on defense I consider it a win when we hold the other team to a FG.

Like every statistic, it tells you something, but not everything.

I think points per possession is a great improvement.

n tends to be small enough for this that special situations can mess with the stat too.

If you drive down to the 18 yard line and kick a FG on 1st down with 2 seconds left in the half, I'd argue that should be excluded from a points per possession metric, but makes sense to count it as a full win as the current calculation does.

Back