What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rick George Unveils Next Strategic Plan (BBall Specifics)

Look more like strategic wishes.
The excitement! It is palpable!

homer-excited.png

Dig in to the full strategic plan. It has fund raising goals goals and then some generic statements about competitive facilities and the like.

I agree it was a bit light on details - I was hoping it was going to contain specifics related to replacing Balch Fieldhouse and a renovation on the West side. I believe his plan is that by putting a stake in the ground on competitiveness of the major sports programs, he can turn to donors and say "the only way we get here is by having donations equivalent to other programs that compete at this level". THEN he can get the Balch renovation funded.

MBB goals look reasonable. One Pac-12 championship, three NCAA tourneys, and top four finishes in the PAC.

I like RG setting specific goals for each team.

I think it's OK to put out goals like that. It should be the goal to win the conference. Where it gets sticky is if Tad has several strong years but doesn't manage a conference championship, does that constitute failure on his part? It shouldn't, IMO.

I think it's OK to put out goals like that. It should be the goal to win the conference. Where it gets sticky is if Tad has several strong years but doesn't manage a conference championship, does that constitute failure on his part? It shouldn't, IMO.
Guess it depends on whether these are goals or whether these are minimum expectations. They don't read as minimum expectations to me.

I'd still like some follow up, as Goose noted. What is Rick George going to do to assist with reaching these goals? It's easy to set goals and expectations as the boss, but you better also be assisting those under you in attaining the goals.

I'd still like some follow up, as Goose noted. What is Rick George going to do to assist with reaching these goals? It's easy to set goals and expectations as the boss, but you better also be assisting those under you in attaining the goals.
I don't follow the hoops program very closely, but as it pertains to RG helping the various athletic programs achieve the goals, I'm sure most of that is done behind the scenes, in a non-public fashion. He's already done a lot with the fundraising efforts, which is the driving factor in all this with the ability to get new facilities built, but has also helped remove or lower hurdles for the football program admittance, gone to bat with administration for coaching staff, etc. Not sure about specifics with the basketball program, but I'm sure he's put forth similar effort.

What specific things do people want to see RG do to support the programs achieve the goals he has laid out?

I don't follow the hoops program very closely, but as it pertains to RG helping the various athletic programs achieve the goals, I'm sure most of that is done behind the scenes, in a non-public fashion. He's already done a lot with the fundraising efforts, which is the driving factor in all this with the ability to get new facilities built, but has also helped remove or lower hurdles for the football program admittance, gone to bat with administration for coaching staff, etc. Not sure about specifics with the basketball program, but I'm sure he's put forth similar effort.

What specific things do people want to see RG do to support the programs achieve the goals he has laid out?

1. Increase the recruiting budget to UCLA, Arizona and Oregon levels. If CU is going to beat those teams for a PAC-12 title, the recruiting budgets must be even.
2. Go back to the student promotions used to bring students to the games in the early years of Tad. The home court advantage at the Events Center has been greatly diminished the past few years due to a lack of student interest and attendance.
3. Announce and publicize the enhancements that are occurring, if they are occurring. How else will you get the fan base excited?

This would be a solid start toward accomplishing the goals listed.

1. Increase the recruiting budget to UCLA, Arizona and Oregon levels. If CU is going to beat those teams for a PAC-12 title, the recruiting budgets must be even.
2. Go back to the student promotions used to bring students to the games in the early years of Tad. The home court advantage at the Events Center has been greatly diminished the past few years due to a lack of student interest and attendance.
3. Announce and publicize the enhancements that are occurring, if they are occurring. How else will you get the fan base excited?

I think the real key here is the student section.

I feel like they are doing most of that, with the exception of a recruiting budget (which I have no clue about), no?

The fundraising efforts have been unprecedented at CU, so I guess it's just a matter of allocating the funds to recruiting?

I feel like every week the basketball Twitter account is promoting free pizza or free shirts, or buy one get one for WBB and MBB games, etc. At some point, the students just need to show up because THEY want to support the team, and that isn't going to be consistent through gimmicky things like free pizza. A winning team is the only way.

I think the coaching staff's social media game could be turned up quite a bit, but the MBB Twitter account, along with RG and general CU Twitter have promoted the **** out of the new sound system and scoreboard.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I feel like the AD is giving each of these programs everything they need to be successful at the moment. At some point, it's on the staff and players to produce.

I feel like they are doing most of that, with the exception of a recruiting budget (which I have no clue about), no?

The fundraising efforts have been unprecedented at CU, so I guess it's just a matter of allocating the funds to recruiting?

I feel like every week the basketball Twitter account is promoting free pizza or free shirts, or buy one get one for WBB and MBB games, etc. At some point, the students just need to show up because THEY want to support the team, and that isn't going to be consistent through gimmicky things like free pizza. A winning team is the only way.

I think the coaching staff's social media game could be turned up quite a bit, but the MBB Twitter account, along with RG and general CU Twitter have promoted the **** out of the new sound system and scoreboard.

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I feel like the AD is giving each of these programs everything they need to be successful at the moment. At some point, it's on the staff and players to produce.

The promotion that got real traction was the all-paid trip to the P12 tourney for the students who showed up to every game in ‘11-‘12. Never been repeated and I’ve seen other schools grow their student participation in the event while ours has dissipated.

We have a far better chance at winning P12 tournament titles than we do at winning regular season titles. We simply do not have the culture, cache, and resources to expect to win titles in an 18 game format.

Strategically, we should be putting a lot more energy into winning the tournament. It’s an auto-bid to the dance and a high-variance event. Schedule a game each year at the T-Mobile Arena and if that’s not available due to hockey then settle for one of the other 2-3 arenas in LV. Develop more promotions geared towards attending the tournament for students and season ticket holders. Then pray we don’t face Zona before the title game.

Maybe the next strategic plan can include making sure basketball season tickets arrive before the first game. What a joke.

CU will never have a recruiting budget on the level of UCLA, Arizona and Oregon, to claim that RG isn't committed to the program because of that is dumb. There is definitely an engagement issue with the student section but I don't have a problem with removing the vegas trip, that was probably a lot of money the AD couldn't sustain.

Tad has made 2 home run hires in a row after losing two to head coaching jobs, I would think if you are looking at how well the AD supports Tad that would be a very good sign about the health and commitment from the AD.

The promotion that got real traction was the all-paid trip to the P12 tourney for the students who showed up to every game in ‘11-‘12. Never been repeated and I’ve seen other schools grow their student participation in the event while ours has dissipated.

We have a far better chance at winning P12 tournament titles than we do at winning regular season titles. We simply do not have the culture, cache, and resources to expect to win titles in an 18 game format.

Strategically, we should be putting a lot more energy into winning the tournament. It’s an auto-bid to the dance and a high-variance event. Schedule a game each year at the T-Mobile Arena and if that’s not available due to hockey then settle for one of the other 2-3 arenas in LV. Develop more promotions geared towards attending the tournament for students and season ticket holders. Then pray we don’t face Zona before the title game.
Not disagreeing with anything here, but aiming for the regular season title has to be the goal. If we’re competing there the tourney titles will come. And yes full-out effort every year for the tourney would be nice.

Is it safe to say Colorado is a healthy basketball program right now.

Mike Bohn did a great job of engaging the students and providing them with food as well as the opportunity to go to the P12 Tournament which seems like a great way to reach students. The benefit of having a full student section engaged in the game far outweighs the cost of the burritos, pizza, etc. that they promoted in the past. The solution to filling the student seats seems relatively easy. You hire a competent marketing intern from CU, bring back the food and prizes that Bohn had and you also bring pack the opportunity for 10 students to be sent to the PAC 12 Tournament. Some of the funding could come from season ticket holders by asking them to contribute an extra $10-$100 when renewing tickets until the program is able to come up with enough funds to pay for it.

Even on food nights they don't show or have same effect as the MUSS.
To be a great program is like football three phases

Team
administration
Crowd support

Back