What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad M. F'ing Boyle

Bzdelik is responsible for the practice facility. He had it as a condition to be built, for him to come here from AFA in 2007.

I think the only 'major' improvement since then is that the Keg got better sound and video system.
Iirc, the court has been re-done twice. Also the fly-away baskets.

Yeah, Tad should be going for the Tractor Traylor's of the basketball world. You do realize nearly all high-end basketball recruits are lanky? Here are the massive, muscle-bound studs Lloyd has landed the last 2 years.

6'1" 180 lbs
7'0" 215 lbs
6'8" 180 lbs
6'10" 200 lbs
6'4" 185 lbs
Yeah, I realize that they're lanky relatively, just seems like when it comes to bodying people up in the paint on the offensive end we get pushed around all the time instead of vice versa, and we get very little paint penetration by our bigs offensively. Our bigs seem to get pushed around in the paint when they're posted up on by the opposition. Not complaining about results, just observations over the years.
Your data is incredible, btw.

It’s tough to throw resources at Tad when the football program so desperately needs whatever help it can get. I agree that he deserves more, but I can understand the scarcity of resources and the desire to get the football program fixed.

It’s tough to throw resources at Tad when the football program so desperately needs whatever help it can get. I agree that he deserves more, but I can understand the scarcity of resources and the desire to get the football program fixed.
You can build a basketball booster network that's separate from your football & general networks.

You can do a lot more to promote to students and CU community.

You can do a lot more to create atmosphere with spirit squad investment.

These are not expensive things.

I agree that on facilities that Folsom comes before CEC. Our needs in field sports (or a VB locker room upgrade) may even come before MBB/WBB facility upgrades.

Yeah, I realize that they're lanky relatively, just seems like when it comes to bodying people up in the paint on the offensive end we get pushed around all the time instead of vice versa, and we get very little paint penetration by our bigs offensively. Our bigs seem to get pushed around in the paint when they're posted up on by the opposition. Not complaining about results, just observations over the years.
Your data is incredible, btw.
Did you not watch the last 4 years of CU basketball? Evan Battey got pushed around by no one, except some terrible officials.

You can build a basketball booster network that's separate from your football & general networks.

You can do a lot more to promote to students and CU community.

You can do a lot more to create atmosphere with spirit squad investment.

These are not expensive things.

I agree that on facilities that Folsom comes before CEC. Our needs in field sports (or a VB locker room upgrade) may even come before MBB/WBB facility upgrades.
I agree with all of that. RG has really regressed from the level of support that Bohn provided the hoops program. (Insert snarky comment here about why did we fire Bohn again?)

Did you not watch the last 4 years of CU basketball? Evan Battey got pushed around by no one, except some terrible officials.
Yes, I watched. [Damn, some of you are immediately hostile it's ridiculous]. He seemed soft on the offensive end when it came to using his frame and physicality. I didn't see a whole of David Harrison-ish physicality with Evan like I expected to see. Sorry, I guess I see it differently than you. And that's not a knock on Evan's production. I just found it maddening when Battey would settle for outside shots instead of going strong to the rim more often. For me, there was a lack of frequency there that would've drawn more fouls and established a more permanent presence in the paint. Battey didn't make a living in the paint like I thought he should/could. I do agree with you, he was handed some seriously ****ty calls too often.

Do you think Josh Scott played physical and strong like an actual big?

Whether it's the recruiting or the coaching, it just seems like we've lacked physicality from our front court for quite a few years recently.

Ask me whether I actually watched the last, eh, 8 years of CU basketball. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, I watched. [Damn, some of you are immediately hostile it's ridiculous]. He seemed soft on the offensive end when it came to using his frame and physicality. I didn't see a whole of David Harrison-ish physicality with Evan like I expected to see. Sorry, I guess I see it differently than you. And that's not a knock on Evan's production. I just found it maddening when Battey would settle for outside shots instead of going strong to the rim more often. For me, there was a lack of frequency there that would've drawn more fouls and established a more permanent presence in the paint. Battey didn't make a living in the paint like I thought he should/could. I do agree with you, he was handed some seriously ****ty calls too often.

Whether it's the recruiting or the coaching, it just seems like we've lacked physicality from our front court for quite a few years recently.

Ask me whether I actually watched the last, eh, 8 years of CU basketball. :rolleyes:
Mercy Madison GIF

If you say something stupid, I’m gonna call you out on it. You said something stupid, and then you just doubled down by saying that Josh Scott was also an example of us getting bullied down low. To be fair, Josh did get pushed around his freshman year, but, that’s what you’re going to stand on? Cmon man.

Mercy Madison GIF

If you say something stupid, I’m gonna call you out on it. You said something stupid, and then you just doubled down by saying that Josh Scott was also an example of us getting bullied down low. To be fair, Josh did get pushed around his freshman year, but, that’s what you’re going to stand on? Cmon man.
That's fine dude, you're free to call it as you see it. I just see the whole scenario differently, even your fundamental facts are different than mine regarding Scott, Battey, et. al. Josh didn't just get pushed around only his freshman year.

Last edited:
For all the horrible luck we’ve had with football coaches, like historically bad luck, Tad sure has been a miracle in the polar opposite direction.

Tad is basketballs Bill McCartney
You may want to tap the breaks before that last sentence. I love Tad, but Mac won a national title.

and HCBM had 3 conference champs in 12 years vs Boyle's one.

I love the CU hoops team. I really like Boyle. I'm super stoked about the recruiting class. Hell, I'm super stoked about this year.

And, before we build statues or proceed with his canonisation, I want to see Boyle average more than one conference championship every 12 years. That record is exactly the mathematical "average" in a conference of 12 members.

It's not the mathematical average because program resources are not equal. Honestly, Tad should never finish higher than 6th in the conference with the situation compared to peers and it's amazing he has only had 1 losing season (the frustrating CBI year of which we will not speak again).
It is an impossible comparison to make because the situations are so different.

When Tad took over basketball was bad but while Bzdelik wasn't very good he left some decent players and Ricado Patton had a better than .500 record and some tourney appearances (recruiting Chauncey didn't hurt,) and Harrington was close to .500. In a bigger picture though the Colorado program had been bad to terrible longer than most of us have been alive going back to Sox.

Coach Mac took over a program that was as deep in a hole as it had ever been (although we are now probably back to that level) but it was also a program that was known nationally as one that could be top level having won the conference once under Mallory and finishing as high as 3rd in the nation under Eddie Crowder while sending bunches of players to the NFL.

Also two very different sports in terms of building a winner. Basketball 2-4 top quality recruits can change a whole program. Football individuals don't have as much impact but it's hard to cover weaknesses so a coach has to recruit a lot of quality players to fill a two-deep.

This isn't 1990's basketball anymore

Did @Scotch pay you to compliment David Harrison’s physicality?

And yes, Josh Scott was physical and strong.

. Our needs in field sports (or a VB locker room upgrade) may even come before MBB/WBB facility upgrades.

VB got some kind of locker room upgrade a few years ago now. I know because it was mostly donor funded and I donated to it.

I went to the very first game in the Keg. Except for the sound and video boards, the game court and arena look like they did in the first game. I think that was in 1979. Yes, we have the practice facility but it got scaled back from the original plans. VB was supposed to end up with a court where the crowd will feel like they were right on top of the court. Teams with courts like that seem to win more.

At least the offices got moved from Folsom.

That's fine dude, you're free to call it as you see it. I just see the whole scenario differently, even your fundamental facts are different than mine regarding Scott, Battey, et. al. Josh didn't just get pushed around only his freshman year.

My suggestion is that, for a few games, you follow some other random but competitive college basketball team. Heck, even choose UA if you want. Study the roster, watch the games. Then get back to us about how those college players never get pushed around.

Your take is silly, but not unusual for a fan who follows only one team and gets disappointed easily.

Back