What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tell me about the team

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and in my first year of med school here from Wyoming. It is a pet peeve of mine for people to not be fans of the school they are attending, so I'm adding CU to WYO as my favorites and I'm a new fan! Its been made easier since both schools hate CSU (as you can tell from my username). I just wanted to try to get some info about the team -- what are our strengths? Weaknesses? What guys do we have I should keep an eye on? Based on the TadBall thread it seems like Tad is a strong coach, but recruiting may be suspect? Its cool to see some Buffs making noise in the NBA. Any info would be great and will help sow the seeds of my fan-hood. Thanks!

Welcome.

This season is mostly about watching the new guys develop while seeing if they can win enough to get to the post-season.

Seniors are:
Dom Collier, a former 4* recruit from Denver who never became a star but is a solid role player/ sometime starter as a combo guard who will be up and down with his production.

George King was a lightly recruited guy who is a streaky player from the wing. When he's hot, he can go off. Great rebounder for his size. Inconsistency in his game can be infuriating.

Tory Miller was our most reliable inside player, but he broke his foot and is done for the year. Left a giant hole in the middle. Tory wasn't destined for the NBA or anything, but he was high efficiency, a big body and made a difference.

Juniors are:
Namon Wright, a former 4* who chose Missouri over CU but then transferred here. After sitting out last year, he's been a sometimes starter this year. Good rebounder for a SG and another streaky scorer who seems to frustrate Tad.

Sophomores are:
Deleon Brown, who is kind of an energy guy as a combo guard. Good perimeter defender who has flashed on offense attacking the rim and knocking down some 3s.

Lucas Siewert, a Brazilian stretch-4 who played his high school ball in Los Angeles. Flashed a shockingly good post up game against South Dakota State that we didn't know he had. Good shooter who can be a good rebounder. Defense is improving, but I don't know that he'll ever be a plus guy in a man defense.

The rest of the team is freshmen and the reason why we're pretty excited for the next couple years.

McKinley Wright was the POY in Minnesota last year and committed late. Has been incredible starting at PG as a true frosh. Only 6' tall, but he's got everything in his game plus the clutch gene.

Tyler Bey has been compared to Andre Roberson and Kawhi Leonard as a recruit due to his defensive ability and quick hops. Long forward who is showing better than either of those guys on offense as a freshman with his recent play, but he's not the rebounder and defender yet. He's still figuring things out and looks like he'll need to dedicate to the weight room this offseason.

D'Shawn Schwartz is a SG/Wing who has a strong frame and a very mature offensive skill set. Not all that explosive, but not a defensive liability -- average athleticism for the position. Tool kit is there for him to be a consistent scorer.

Dallas Walton is a legit 7 footer from Colorado who suffered serious knee injuries in high school and CU took a chance on (and redshirted last season). He's been very dedicated to the weight room and it shows. Getting his hops back and has a very nice shot for a guy his size. Like most bigs, it will be a development process but could be pretty great as an upperclassman.

Lazar Nikolic is a Serbian who can play PG at 6'7" / 6'8". Tough kid who can guard the post but needs at least a year in the weight room to be able to hold up there. Seems to be filling into a point forward type role where he's able to cause matchup problems on offense while being able to effectively switch off any screen on the defensive end due to his versatility.

Evan Battey was one of the guys we were most excited about, but the NCAA ruled he had to redshirt because he flunked his freshman year of high school before doing the work to get himself qualified over the next 4 years. Decision made no sense, but unfortunately he is sitting out. Kind of a post, but more of a forward. Game reminds me a bit of Kris Jenkins (Villanova), but with all the weight he has cut while redshirting and the explosion he showed in the videos he has tweeted, I'm starting to think that he may be more like Draymond Green was at Michigan State with his leadership and ability to contribute to every stat column while guarding anyone in the front court.

Alexander Strating is another international player. From Netherlands, he redshirted last year and has played sparingly this year. Kind of a hustle/glue guy who seems to have limited upside.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch! Excited to see Wright do some great stuff. Is he in running for an all conference team selection (at this point I'm much more familiar with the Mountain West competition)? His stats seem like he would be. I'm hoping to get over to Boulder for some games here soon.

Back