What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Conference of Champions

Big Jim

WTF?
Club Member
How many tree puns can fit on the head of a pin?

If the cast from Little House on the Prairie was to play in a shuffleboard contest versus the cast of The Waltons, would everyone get a participation medal?

Five goats and two pigs are walking down a hill.

Last edited:
You make some good points, but if you listen to Walton and company the Olympics are hardly ever mentioned

You make some good points, but if you listen to Walton and company the Olympics are hardly ever mentioned

I most certainly do NOT listen to Walton. I either put the game on mute of just turn of the television. Walton is the face of the Pac-12 to many people around the country, it can't be any more embarrassing.

The presidents should be outraged that the Football TV deal will be passed by the market twice. There is nothing. Fans feel the sadness, but the presidents let it persist with cushy offices, sub-mediocre media, and criticism from outsiders.

Tucker leaving was the canary in the coal mine for Colorado. It’ll only get worse without boosters supplementing AD budgets. $15-$20mm deficits compared to the big conferences every year are compounding. With the big boys able to match HC offers for assistants, we have another brick in the wall. We’ll be on the outside with no view inside, except for the Saturday spectacles.

The presidents should be outraged that the Football TV deal will be passed by the market twice. There is nothing. Fans feel the sadness, but the presidents let it persist with cushy offices, sub-mediocre media, and criticism from outsiders.

Tucker leaving was the canary in the coal mine for Colorado. It’ll only get worse without boosters supplementing AD budgets. $15-$20mm deficits compared to the big conferences every year are compounding. With the big boys able to match HC offers for assistants, we have another brick in the wall. We’ll be on the outside with no view inside, except for the Saturday spectacles.

Look at football in Europe the last 10-15 years for a preview.

Look at "football" in Europe the last 10-15 years for a preview.
FIFY

But seriously, you're right.

At this point the only way where we don't end up with the same 10-12 teams representing "the best" is major reforms.

AKA, blow the whole thing up.

CU can try and join those 10-12 by conducting an all - out effort to bail on the pac and join the B1G, or we can turn into the catalyst for blowing the whole thing up.

Pay players and put budget caps* (not salary caps, literally all football expense budget caps) in place.

*with adjustments for tuition, cost of living, and cost of travel. But try and put every program on a relatively equal fiscal footing.

If a progrsm makes more money than that, good for them, they can spend the surplus on other sports or supporting the academic side of their university.

I think the playoff, while certainly welcome from an on-field perspective, has helped facilitate this change, especially with some schools essentially having subscriptions to it. While the revenue gets shared, it does help their program appeal and reputation and just further enriches the already rich in recruiting and will help with donations. Success breeds success.

The big difference to "soccer" obviously is that you can't pay the players (through official channels, at least), so while the big battles get fought over players here, in college football they get fought over the coaches as that's the only area where investment can and will affect on-field results.

It's very basic capitalist principles at work.

Five posts in and we got hijacked by ****ing soccer?

Yes, because it's an Olympic sport (something you yourself mentioned in the first post) and, more importantly, is a sport that generates massive amounts of money in a largely unregulated environment where basic capitalist principles apply and is therefore very comparable to the current development in college football. At the end of the day it matters very little what sport is being played and what a person thinks of it, the patterns are the same.

So you can either complain because I am using a sport you don't like as an example or try to understand the point I am making. Your call.

Last edited:
It's not the job of the NCAA to enforce parity. Schools that choose not to participate in the arms/talent race can readjust their expectations/thought processes, or can drop down a classification. For example, the University of Idaho recently dropped back into FCS from G5. Any P5 school that is permanently butt hurt about the state of college football would likely be welcomed into its neighboring G5 conference.

The premier programs are what they are because they value the sport/experience more than other programs do. Why should they be punished for excellence?

It's not the job of the NCAA to enforce parity. Schools that choose not to participate in the arms/talent race can readjust their expectations/thought processes, or can drop down a classification. For example, the University of Idaho recently dropped back into FCS from G5. Any P5 school that is permanently butt hurt about the state of college football would likely be welcomed into its neighboring G5 conference.

The premier programs are what they are because they value the sport/experience more than other programs do. Why should they be punished for excellence?

The problem isn't necessarily that Alabama or Ohio State has more money than us, the problem is that ANY B1G or SEC has SIGNIFICANTLY more resources than ANY PAC12 team simply by conference affiliation. Rutgers makes 20m+ more a year than USC, UW or Oregon so some are being rewarded for suckitude.

The problem isn't necessarily that Alabama or Ohio State has more money than us, the problem is that ANY B1G or SEC has SIGNIFICANTLY more resources than ANY PAC12 team simply by conference affiliation. Rutgers makes 20m+ more a year than USC, UW or Oregon so some are being rewarded for suckitude.

I know. It sucks. Life is odd. Rutgers and Maryland made good decisions. USC, UW, and UO made poor ones when they acquiesced in the decision to hire and retain an east coast born and educated former commissioner of Professional Women's Tennis to be its conference's athletic commissioner. Negligence has consequences. It can be fixed if the PAC 12 member schools care about it.

I LOVE Bill Walton. I think he's hilarious and I think he's also a really smart guy. I love the passion he has for the Conference of Champions. I love that he jokes around so much and doesn't take himself seriously. I know he bugs other people but I think he's awesome. I might be in the minority on that but who cares. I love the peanut butter guy. Where the Buffaloes roam........I love when he says that.

When the phone rings from a number you don't recognize, do you answer it or let it go to voicemail?

giphy.gif

Back