What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Undefeated Women's Hoops in the Top 25

Gotta start out by beating the weaklings before you can start playing with the big hitters. The CU womens hoops team has shown steady improvement the last few years. They beat Stanford last year, which is no small accomplishment.

I'm still in "show me" mode on this. Yes they are undefeated but too many of those games have been against weak teams. In the NET, CU is ranked at #44 https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-basketball-net-rankings
and in Massey rankings they are at #35. https://masseyratings.com/cbw/ncaa-d1/ratings
Both of these seem more realistic to me than the #25 from the AP poll.
Same thoughts. I've seen too many CU women's hoops teams go through the non-conference playing weak teams that should have beaten easily and they did. Then here comes the conference schedule and they start to lose.

Until I see how we do against Pac-12 competition on the road, I think we are not in the top 25.

I will enjoy it for now but I'm wary.

Beating Stanford last year has nothing to do with this year's team. I hope they beat Stanford home and away this year, but time will tell.

I have seen this kind of record and ranked under KMM, Lappe and now JR. In all of those seasons, there was one NCAA bid and they hosted and lost badly in the first round.

In this week's rankings, the Buffs are back to receiving votes even though they won two games

Quote from this article:

A tournament berth would mean a lot: Nebraska, Colorado
Colorado (9-0) hasn't been tested yet; its strength of schedule is ranked 244th. The program got as far as the Elite Eight under Ceal Barry, but the Buffs have made the NCAA tournament just once (2013) since she left coaching in 2005.

Now in her sixth season in Boulder, coach JR Payne hopes to get the Buffs back in the Big Dance. Last season, they made the WNIT and had a regular-season victory over Stanford, one of just two teams to beat the Cardinal.

I didn't quote the Nebraska part of the article.

This is the reason I don't think we know how good this team is. Strength of schedule ranking 244th tells us nothing about whether this team is good or not. We will find out when the conference season starts

The NCAA tourney committee uses the NET to help with determining bids. So, here we go,

CU is #33 currently. That puts them 4th in the Pac 12. Stanford and Arizona 7 & 8 respectively. Oregon is 28th (with a lot of injuries)

The highest rated opponent so far is Marquette at #58.

I fall firmly in the "can't tell anything about the team until they play a bunch of conference games" category.

The Buffs begin conference play at Oregon and Oregon State after playing SMU and San Francisco in the next week.

Maura Singer has medically retired. I knew she didn't make the road trip to Southern Utah but I was hoping it wasn't her knee again. Sadly it was her knee and she has been advised by her doctor not to play collegiate basketball.

Get better soon, Maura.

CU is the last remaining undefeated team in the nation and back in the rankings at #22. We still have a weak SoS but Friday night we face off against #2 Stanford. Let's go Buffs!

Back