What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB: Leonard All Pac-12 Jank Honorable Mention Freshmen

buffgal

Club Member
Club Member
Leonard named All Pac-12 and honorable mention Pac-12 All Defensive Team
Jank named honorable mention All Freshmen Team

Congratulations to both!

http://cubuffs.com/news/2018/2/27/w...-in-postseason-pac-12-awards.aspx?path=wbball

SAN FRANCISCO – Colorado women's basketball player Kennedy Leonard was named first-team All-Pac-12 on Tuesday as the conference handed out its awards for the 2017-18 season. Leonard was also named honorable mention for the Pac-12 All-Defensive Team and Annika Jank was named honorable mention for the All-Freshman Team.

Leonard, a junior from Southlake, Texas, averages 14.8 points, 6.7 assists and 1.9 steals, while starting all 29 games this season at guard. She leads the Buffs in those three categories and ranks 11th in the Pac-12 in scoring, third in assists and fourth in steals.

For the season, Leonard has 195 assists, breaking her own previous CU season record of 190 set in 2016-17. She is also enjoying career highs in field goal percentage (.391) and free throw percentage (.771), while pulling down 3.4 rebounds per game. In 29 games, she has scored in double figures 23 times and has had over 10 assists four times with three double-doubles. Leonard has eclipsed 20 points five times and she tied her career high with 31 points in a win at Utah on Feb. 1.

Jank, a 6-foot-3 native of Edina, Minn., is averaging 9.0 points and 6.9 rebounds with a team-high 28 blocked shots. She has started 27 of 29 games. Among Pac-12 freshmen, Jank ranks second in rebounding and fourth in scoring. She has scored in double figures 11 times and eclipsed 20 points twice. She has four double-doubles as well, and has five games of 10+ rebounds.

CU is currently 14-15 overall on the season and finished Pac-12 play with a 5-13 record. The Buffs open the Pac-12 Tournament on Thursday at 12:30 p.m. MT as the No. 9 seed and face No. 8 Utah in the first round.

For those who follow the game more closely than I, did Jank deserve better than honorable mention?
IMO she did not. She played really well during the non-conference part of the schedule, even garnering a few Freshman of the week honors from the league. But once conference play started she about disappeared for much of the time. She has just recently started playing better again.

For those who follow the game more closely than I, did Jank deserve better than honorable mention?
Yes, first time I can recall a player getting three Freshman of the week honors not being first team. Lead her team in rebounds and was #3 in rebounds for freshman as well as top 5 in scoring, starts and minutes. It’s a season award, not just PAC-12 games.

Also, not sure how Lex didn’t garner Honorable Mention.

While it is a season award, I don't think Jank earned all Pac 12 Freshmen team. Her level of play dropped off a lot once Pac-12 season started. It has gotten much better in the last couple of weeks.

I would make an argument for Lexi as honorable mention.

While it is a season award, I don't think Jank earned all Pac 12 Freshmen team. Her level of play dropped off a lot once Pac-12 season started. It has gotten much better in the last couple of weeks.

Agree on both Lexi and Jank. If it was just a small decline in play once PAC 12 then I could see it but it was a drastic decline. I think she would admit as much. Im sure it will drive her in the offseason.

Definitely agree on Jank. She was tremendous in the non-conference portion of the season. Really looked like one of the top freshmen in the conference - hitting over 50% of her shoots from the floor and rebounding well. I was thinking she would be a difference maker in conference play and into the future, Once conference play hit the opposition had her figured out and she wasn't getting many touches within five feet or so of the basket. She did recover a bit recently.

Still think she'll be key next season.

Lexi was inconsistent this season, most likely due to her recovery from the ACL surgery.

Back