What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Tempe, AZ

I agree with that….at least they are trying to become relevant. The rest of the PAC other than the the top 4, ****ing joke.
Maybe had they just started paying recruits large sums of money under the table and gotten caught, I would somewhat agree, but hosting recruits during a pandemic dead period and using a rat hole to try and hide it? **** that. I hope the NCAA overreacts and tries to flex whatever muscles they have left and neuters that **** program.

Maybe had they just started paying recruits large sums of money under the table and gotten caught, I would somewhat agree, but hosting recruits during a pandemic dead period and using a rat hole to try and hide it? **** that. I hope the NCAA overreacts and tries to flex whatever muscles they have left and neuters that **** program.
Yep. It's okay to pay under the table with bag men. You need to act like Arizona not Arizona State.

It's not breaking NCAA rules that bothers me, it's being so blatantly stupid about it. Like this. Or like when that former USC basketball coach personally delivered an envelope of cash. You just don't do stuff that's "in your face" to the NCAA and forces it to take action.

If the head coach remains, I will be pissed. The AD is clearly trying to insulate him and he's the root of the problem.
Honestly, the most important part of their program (Pierce) is leaving, and I don't think Herm is a very good coach. Pierce was the DC and ace recruiter for that program and basically the only reason any blue chip kids were signing there. Depending on whether or not the NCAA is going to actually do anything like take scholarships, enact recruiting restrictions, etc I would almost prefer to leave that program in disarray and a weird limbo without their primary recruiters.

I do question if Pierce was really the DC though. He was important to the program and he got a big bump when the SDSU guy left, but Herm also has brought in some high powered analysts etc.

But I agree with your injured bird theory. But Herm needs to pay for what he allowed to happen under his watch. I can't imagine he's clean on this and it was all Pierce.

Honestly, the most important part of their program (Pierce) is leaving, and I don't think Herm is a very good coach. Pierce was the DC and ace recruiter for that program and basically the only reason any blue chip kids were signing there. Depending on whether or not the NCAA is going to actually do anything like take scholarships, enact recruiting restrictions, etc I would almost prefer to leave that program in disarray and a weird limbo without their primary recruiters.
Don't underestimate the influence Herm has in terms of recruiting.

Herm knows how to make an impression on a kid, their parents, and their coaches. He uses the fact that he was one of the first Black head coaches in the NFL to full advantage, parents know him from his time on ESPN, and he is a very effective speaker both in groups and in private conversations.

He also is strong in the Evangelical Christian community and has used that to his advantage. There are instances when it was supposed to be a dead period or contacts were limited when Herm just Happened to be speaking/preaching at some recruits church.

He isn't a very good coach and he built a staff to recruit but Herm is also an effective recruiter. If he survives this thing don't be surprised if he ends up building a new staff that recruits as well or better than his old one and it doesn't seem like ASU cares much what he does as long as he is bringing in talent and wins.

Because wtf kind of HC would be that clueless about what's going on in his program?
When I think about it, it doesn’t really seem all that crazy to think Herm had no clue about what was happening. Because, Herm.

When I think about it, it doesn’t really seem all that crazy to think Herm had no clue about what was happening. Because, Herm.
Now that I think about it, didn't the AD say when Herm was hired that he was going to be a CEO / face of the program (aka, figurehead) head coach?

Talk about lacking any and all accountability, regardless of whether he knew directly about it or not. HCs have routinely scapegoated coordinators and assistants for poor performance on the field, but in what world does the head coach not take ultimate responsibility for everything that happens under his watch with his staff?

Talk about lacking any and all accountability, regardless of whether he knew directly about it or not. HCs have routinely scapegoated coordinators and assistants for poor performance on the field, but in what world does the head coach not take ultimate responsibility for everything that happens under his watch with his staff?
See Paterno, Joe

Even if I try to believe in a bizarro world scenario where Herm didn't know what was going on, he still needs to resign. Because wtf kind of HC would be that clueless about what's going on in his program?
He ****ing knew, I don't have much doubt about that. I doubt the university didn't know either.

The coaching world. Every time a HC finds his seat getting hot, the first move is to fire 1 or both coordinators. When it's an NCAA or legal violation, the first move is to fire at least 1, but as many as required, assistants to be the fall guy(s) for what was done.

The next time I hear a HC say, "The buck stops here and anything done was because they were following my direction" will be the first time.

Back