What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who will be redshirted?

BatBuff

In the recent press conference, Tad said, "At least one" player will be redshirted. He added "maybe two."

Who will get redshirted?

I think that the freshman from Serbia is a good candidate ... Lazar Nikolic. From what I understand, he just turned 18. It makes sense from a position rotation/depth point of view right now and I think gives him time to acclimate academically, physically and socially at CU (and for that matter in the USA).

If there were more experienced guards in the rotation, I think that Deleon Brown would also be a good candidate. (Yes, I know that he prepped for a year after high school, but he wants to be a coach after graduation and spending five years in the system would help that process.) I doubt that we can afford to redshirt him now though , especially if Nikolic is not active.

Some people have mentioned Evan Batty, but personally I think that he can contribute a lot to the front line this year and play a lot of minutes per game as the season goes on. He seems tough on the boards, agile and a good shooter for his position. He is mature and aggressive on the court ... and shows some early leadership traits. By the end of the season I think that he has the potential to be our best ... or second best inside guy. Selfishly. if he were to redshirt, I would love it ... think about him by the time that he is a 5th year senior.

Tyler Bey has great athleticism and a ton of upside. But right now, he is raw. Here is a guy that I think would benefit significantly ... develop as a player in practice and get ahead of the game academically while redshirting. But he may not want to do that. Many young guys probably don't want to make the investment, so nothing against him in that regard.

Right now, I would bet that we redshirt only one guy ... Nikolic

By the way, the very notion that CU would consider redshirting a 4 start recruit says a lot about how far the program has come.

Last edited:
Lazar is a no-brainer.

I had this thought earlier this week but was pleasantly surprised to hear Zisk & Adam suggest it - Schwartz.

I doubt it’s Brown. Too much hype from the staff on him being our Tony Allen. Plus I’m not sure he has a high enough ceiling to make it worth redshirting him (not an insult as I love Brown).

Lazar is a no-brainer.

I had this thought earlier this week but was pleasantly surprised to hear Zisk & Adam suggest it - Schwartz.

I doubt it’s Brown. Too much hype from the staff on him being our Tony Allen. Plus I’m not sure he has a high enough ceiling to make it worth redshirting him (not an insult as I love Brown).
Schwartz would be an interesting call. Definitely a guy who could use a year in the weight room because his game is so much about angles and finishing through traffic. Hard to be effective with that as a skinny freshman.

Schwartz would be an interesting call. Definitely a guy who could use a year in the weight room because his game is so much about angles and finishing through traffic. Hard to be effective with that as a skinny freshman.

Skinny? Schwartz is arguably the most physically developed freshman G/F to come here this decade. He’s listed at 6’7, 223 lbs. As freshmen, XJ was listed at 6’6, 220 lbs, Dre was listed at 6’7, 195 lbs, Dinwiddie was 6’5, 190 lbs. Only Tory & Battey legitimately outweigh him on this team.

One RS this year max - Nikolic. I think Tad is going to let this group take their lumps this year TOGETHER. They'll all get good PT and great experience. It may be rough at times, but Tad and Co. are likely building for 2018-2020 with this group. It's going to fun to watch, at least.

Just my ill informed opinion having seen all of two practices.....Niko is definitely red shirting...my opinions after that don't matter much.
M. Wright > Bey > Batty > Schwartz > Nikolic

One RS this year max - Nikolic. I think Tad is going to let this group take their lumps this year TOGETHER. They'll all get good PT and great experience. It may be rough at times, but Tad and Co. are likely building for 2018-2020 with this group. It's going to fun to watch, at least.

Yeah, I agree. In general, I'm actually not the biggest fan of redshirting in bball unless the kid is a major project, like Dallas. I was rather surprised that Tad offered Nikolic, bc I wasn't really won over by his tape. However, I'm not a coach or scout, so in Tad and crew I trust. I don't think Nikolic is a major project, because I'm not sure of his ceiling or how unprepared he is right now. On a recent Open Court though, the GM of the Mavs said that foreign players are really require two years to evaluate them as a rookie. Their first year is to get them acclimated to the US game and the US culture. The second year really is the first season you can truly evaluate them. So, redshirting makes sense from that perspective, in addition to just overall class balance.

I don't want any of the other guys redshirting though. For most players that grew up playing in the US, you can determine whether you have a player or not. Sure, King's redshirt worked great, but I'd like to keep the roster fluid and recruit better talent to compete. For example, while I was higher on Dom than warranted, redshirting him wouldn't have done anything imo. A year to sit, observe, and train wouldn't have made him into the player I hoped he would become. He is who he is. The same can be said for most players imo. Keep the roster moving, and keep recruiting better talent if you can.

Skinny? Schwartz is arguably the most physically developed freshman G/F to come here this decade. He’s listed at 6’7, 223 lbs. As freshmen, XJ was listed at 6’6, 220 lbs, Dre was listed at 6’7, 195 lbs, Dinwiddie was 6’5, 190 lbs. Only Tory & Battey legitimately outweigh him on this team.

I don't know man - even if your stats are actually reality (not questioning your source of info, but rather the stat itself isn't skewed a little/lot), Schwartz doesn't look too ripped or built. I think Nik's point is valid - Schwartz looks a little under-developed physically, but to me, that doesn't mean he can't show his game. I'd like to see what we have and force him to develop in games, or....recruit over him.

I don't know man - even if your stats are actually reality (not questioning your source of info, but rather the stat itself isn't skewed a little/lot), Schwartz doesn't look too ripped or built. I think Nik's point is valid - Schwartz looks a little under-developed physically, but to me, that doesn't mean he can't show his game. I'd like to see what we have and force him to develop in games, or....recruit over him.

I cited the official height/weight measurements from cubuffs.com. They’re all skewed similarly because it’s the same source. Schwartz is roughly 30 pounds heavier than Dre was as a freshman. He’s objectively not skinny.

There are 7 frosh on the roster, 2 RS and 5 TF. It wouldn't be a bad thing to use 2 redshirts for class balance. Sure attrition will happen like always, but over half the roster has 4 years of elgibility left. Plus there are 2 sophs as well. Might want to spread that out.

Looks like Evan "Big Gravy" Battey is redshirting this year. Love this kid's attitude so much and I know he'll be a locker room leader and will be a beast come next year!

Looks like Evan "Big Gravy" Battey is redshirting this year. Love this kid's attitude so much and I know he'll be a locker room leader and will be a beast come next year!

Boyle's interview was pretty interesting on his feelings here. This is a redshirt forced by the NCAA for the same academic reasons that he sat out his senior year for. Boyle called it an injustice considering what UNC got away with.

I ****ing hate the NCAA.... .............hope the FBI brings about major changes, and the NCAA has to own up to how ridiculous and incompetent of an organization they are.

Not a huge surprise and I brought up Evan’s past as a reason why he’d get the RS during the Media Days convo.

What is surprising is that Tad is now waffling on whether to RS Nikolic. He discussed it around the 11 minute mark of the interview.

Still think it’s a no brainer to RS Niko.

Back