What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wow.

Mental illness is a big ****ing deal.
This,

Article doesn't give a cause of death but also specifically doesn't mention foul play, accidental death, or physical illness or other natural causes so it isn't too large a stretch to think it is likely something to do with mental illness, especially since he had a history of mental health issues at UCLA.

If we had half as many people suffering from specific physical illnesses resulting in death or crippled lives it would be a national priority but as a society we aren't ready to acknowledge the impact of mental health issues and the need to put resources into addressing them.

Never have understood why they never publish suicide as cause of death. Maybe if we bring it forward people will understand that suicide, depression, mental health issues are real and not something that should never be talked about.

Never have understood why they never publish suicide as cause of death. Maybe if we bring it forward people will understand that suicide, depression, mental health issues are real and not something that should never be talked about.
Agree. Need to be open and de-stigmatize. But I understand people also wanting privacy as well as people not wanting to deal with others stigmatizing for religious or judgmental reasons.

It's a really hard thing for the press to cover well without normalizing (and worse glorifying) suicide.

I heard depression for sure.

I can't speak on it here, but might in Barzil. This is about him, not that. Hope people leave them alone till they want to discuss it. Give those folks some peace or let them find it, takes time. Never goes away completely.

I have a hypothesis that those exceptionally gifted in one area (e.g. athletics) tend to be exceptionally deficient in another (e.g. mental health).

I have a hypothesis that those exceptionally gifted in one area (e.g. athletics) tend to be exceptionally deficient in another (e.g. mental health).
Don't know that they are exceptionally gifted as much as really pushing to succeed at something to compensate for feeling like something is wrong or missing otherwise in their lives.

Kind of an idea that if I am really good at something then people won't notice that I am struggling otherwise.

It may also be that being exceptionally good at something or talented increases the chances that somebodies mental illness will get ignored or passed over because others such as coaches, managers, etc. will enable the person to continue because they don't want to lose that persons contribution to whatever area they are good at.

I think it’s hard to peak so high and so early and not have much to look forward to after that.
Especially in something where you are a star in front of tens of thousand of fans, on TV, etc. and all the sudden at 22 years old it's all over at a time when everyone else is just getting started.

A lot of college athletes self-identity is as an athlete, suddenly that is gone and they have to figure out who they are.

We all know that the Athletic Department at CU is in shambles but it is a positive that they have recently really increased the emphasis on the mental health of the student athletes.

I also think yet another reason we are beyond lucky to have Tad coaching the basketball team is that while winning is very important to him he does see his players as whole people and emphasizes that in working with them.

Back