What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

You call yourself a personnel director?

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
Jalen Sami
Isaiah Lewis
Derek Rakestraw
Kary Kutsch
Brady Russell
Sam Noyer
Jarek Broussard
Carson Wells
Joshka Gustav
Akil Jones
Mehki Blackmon

All of these were either written off, and ALL were disparaged at the time of their signing (with the exception of walkon Brady Russell). All are playing major roles in 2020.

My answer: Noyer is better than I thought, although I didn't throw him out as just a "safety". But he is much better than I'd hoped for actually. But Akil Jones has probably surprised me the most as I'd written him COMPLETELY off. Broussard, I still held out hope, but I certainly did not know that the hottest RB in the conference was buried somewhere on this roster. Those are mine.

fail plate glass GIF

Slow down, boss. It's been two games.

Jalen Sami
Isaiah Lewis
Derek Rakestraw
Kary Kutsch
Brady Russell
Sam Noyer
Jarek Broussard
Carson Wells
Joshka Gustav
Akil Jones
Mehki Blackmon

All of these were either written off, and ALL were disparaged at the time of their signing (with the exception of walkon Brady Russell). All are playing major roles in 2020.

My answer: Noyer is better than I thought, although I didn't throw him out as just a "safety". But he is much better than I'd hoped for actually. But Akil Jones has probably surprised me the most as I'd written him COMPLETELY off. Broussard, I still held out hope, but I certainly did not know that the hottest RB in the conference was buried somewhere on this roster. Those are mine.

I will own up to being wrong (well, at least through a sample size of two games) on a number of guys on that list, including Lewis, Noyer, Broussard, and Wells. Those guys have been much better than I expected this season.

Derek Rakestraw
6AD27C13-8945-4168-B4BA-BEB36198AAA2.jpeg

But Rakestraw is one of my favorite Buffs’ stories. It was almost personal how quickly Chev came in and recruited over him at WR. I can’t imagine even the biggest Buffs homer blaming him if he would have transferred out. Instead, he tried out defense. And instead of just being a special teams/scholarship void, he’s become an impactful player for us who forces TOs and delivers big hits.

I should have included Chance Lytle in the OP. He played the entire game vs Stanford and while I don't know how he did, he didn't really stand out as getting schooled to me. I had written that guy off awhile ago despite his enormous size.

I really thought Sami was a diamond in the rough. I liked this kid when we got him.
I had NO idea he would be producing this early in his career.

I really thought Sami was a diamond in the rough. I liked this kid when we got him.
I had NO idea he would be producing this early in his career.
Sami is in his 4th year on campus. Good player who dealt with injuries, iirc, and definitely had to grow into his massive body before being able to contribute for the first time last year really.

Looking back in '16 was pretty similar. We had a bunch of lightly recruited upperclassmen who were playing above their expectations. You get lucky once and a while.

i deny everything! i knew EXACTLY how good these players would look. EXACTLY.

/fake news.

Looking back in '16 was pretty similar. We had a bunch of lightly recruited upperclassmen who were playing above their expectations. You get lucky once and a while.
It’s definitely not something to rely on but I do think we got burned by Mac’s S&C program where he wanted smaller more agile players in the trenches. There are kids out there who are big and can move and if you get them into shape, develop their size they can definitely contribute instead of throwing 260 pound offensive lineman in there when injuries hit. I think most people saw Sami as a guy who had great size and was dunking basketballs at 300 pounds and knew he had the frame and athleticism to play well down the line. Same with Wells who came up to the camp and was winning races against everyone at 6’3 230 in high school. Russell was a walk on who proved himself so no risk there. Back to the point, fill out the bottom of your roster with kids that have potential, not small kids that played well in high school but will clearly struggle with the competition level in college.

View attachment 41140

But Rakestraw is one of my favorite Buffs’ stories. It was almost personal how quickly Chev came in and recruited over him at WR. I can’t imagine even the biggest Buffs homer blaming him if he would have transferred out. Instead, he tried out defense. And instead of just being a special teams/scholarship void, he’s become an impactful player for us who forces TOs and delivers big hits.

In fairness, didn't Rakestraw have a pick bounce off his hands?

Maybe WR wasn't going to be the place for him.

Back