What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'16 CO PF Dallas Walton (Signed to COLORADO)

I've been pretty outspoken about my dislike of basketball redshirting, but considering how it's worked for Tad with Wes, GK and Chris Jenkins (who's putting up some good numbers in Detroit), I should probably shut up at this point.
I think you dislike redshirting as an expectation/hope like it is in football. In football, you want at least half your class to redshirt with a few guys plugging into holes in the depth chart. In basketball, it's the opposite. You want your frosh to come in and contribute immediately, with an occasional guy redshirting to address specific issues and with specific goals.

shorter version: Redshirting in basketball is fine as an exception instead of the rule.

Probably makes more sense RSing an underdeveloped (physically) big than most.

I think you dislike redshirting as an expectation/hope like it is in football. In football, you want at least half your class to redshirt with a few guys plugging into holes in the depth chart. In basketball, it's the opposite. You want your frosh to come in and contribute immediately, with an occasional guy redshirting to address specific issues and with specific goals.

shorter version: Redshirting in basketball is fine as an exception instead of the rule.

Very well put.

I've been pretty outspoken about my dislike of basketball redshirting, but considering how it's worked for Tad with Wes, GK and Chris Jenkins (who's putting up some good numbers in Detroit), I should probably shut up at this point.

Tad's done a great job using redshirts and prep school stashes. Rarely seen strategy at this level he should get more credit for.

Here's why I'm not a big fan of redshirting in bball. One scholarship means a lot, and with a typical rotation being 7-8 players, a coach is free to take a flyer every now and then on a prospect he likes, but just isn't sure about during the recruiting process. If he doesn't develop his skills into the potential the coach saw, he's stuck with you for 4 years. Redshirting makes that 5, when it'd be better to move that scholarship through the program and give your coach the freedom to find another high-potential prospect with some uncertainty/risk.

For Tad, it's worked out beautifully...so he's made me really question the notion of redshirting players. The guys he's asked to redshirt have all developed well. Imagine though if King and Wes didn't improve in their off year...we'd be stuck with them eating up scholarship room. But...that's why Tad's a good coach and I'm just... ...well...an internet poster...

Here's why I'm not a big fan of redshirting in bball. One scholarship means a lot, and with a typical rotation being 7-8 players, a coach is free to take a flyer every now and then on a prospect he likes, but just isn't sure about during the recruiting process. If he doesn't develop his skills into the potential the coach saw, he's stuck with you for 4 years. Redshirting makes that 5, when it'd be better to move that scholarship through the program and give your coach the freedom to find another high-potential prospect with some uncertainty/risk.

For Tad, it's worked out beautifully...so he's made me really question the notion of redshirting players. The guys he's asked to redshirt have all developed well. Imagine though if King and Wes didn't improve in their off year...we'd be stuck with them eating up scholarship room. But...that's why Tad's a good coach and I'm just... ...well...an internet poster...
Don't sell yourself short....you're a tremendous slouch, as well! Tad's also been fortunate in the guys who have self-pruned (Thomas, Hopkins) and the non-RS (Mills, Eli) and transfers in, too.

Don't sell yourself short....you're a tremendous slouch, as well! Tad's also been fortunate in the guys who have self-pruned (Thomas, Hopkins) and the non-RS (Mills, Eli) and transfers in, too.

Hopkins was not a quality transfer - seems like there's a healthy disagreement on him on these boards. You never want a kid with his athleticism and work ethic (from what others have posted) to leave if he isn't a cancer to the team. And not quite sure what you mean about being fortunate with his non-RS?

Hopkins was not a quality transfer - seems like there's a healthy disagreement on him on these boards. You never want a kid with his athleticism and work ethic (from what others have posted) to leave if he isn't a cancer to the team. And not quite sure what you mean about being fortunate with his non-RS?
I was postulating that it was a good thing the popular, try-hard but rather non-athletic Mills was not red-shirted to give him a chance to "grow and improve", ala Gordon. Instead his eligibility ran its 4 yr. course. As for Hopkins, there was something slightly "off" about him coming from HS. He was supposed to be leader for AZ POY, but tanked a bit his Sr HS season. He certainly wasn't a cancer, but he never really appeared "in synch" with the program.

Hopkins did have team chemistry issues. He was a guard who couldn't shoot & didn't improve as a player from his frosh-to-soph yr. His win shares per 40 min as a frosh was .064 & his win shares per 40 min as a soph was .065. No kid would choose to sit out a year to play at a lower-level school/conference. If he went to another high-major instead of Fresno State then you might have an argument.

Back to Dallas Walton, Arvada West lost at #1 Rangeview last Wednesday in the Sweet 16 by 1 point. Interested to see what he does next before he comes to Boulder.

Hahaha damn. Swooped J40's number. The kid has some nuggets.

giphy.gif

I like this signing, local kid, big upside, developed physically, will red-shirt and we'll see what the knee has, if it goes again or he cant make it i am sure DU or northern CO will have a spot for him.

FWIW, they said he may not red shirt and could see some playing time, it's going to depend on who else is signed with the 2 open schollies. He has been working out everyday though attempting to add strength/weight but 225 is still accurate for his weight with a goal of 240.

Perhaps most important, the doctors told him his bum knee is actually in better shape than the other and it is all mental that he has to work through there.

If he can get to 240 before the season, not sure you can keep him on the bench. That kind of size would be extremely helpful.

If he can get to 240 before the season, not sure you can keep him on the bench. That kind of size would be extremely helpful.

7' 240 lbs... Ya think?

Was it the knee that kept other schools away? Seems incredible that a kid with those measurable a would slip through the cracks the way he did.

Back