What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

'18 AZ OT Hunter Mayginnes

It’s really a non story and happens all the time every year. I get why the staff moved on, does it suck for the kid? Yeah, but it happens and he will still probably get a P5 scholarship.
Exactly. The day that the OL coach decided to leave ASU, he had a potential problem. The fact that no Offensive coach zoomed over to his house on day 1 to check in on him after they were hired (10 minute drive from ASU or something) was telling. The staff is putting it back on Hunter that he wasn't "committed" but they were the ones not showing commitment from go. He has done exactly what he needs to do, and that is to visit and re-open his recruitment. They were going to drop him from the get go is the way it looks, not because of the fact that he was looking around, just that they want a different type of OL. No different than Ray getting dropped by Chip Kelly.

I understand it happens every year, but it is a bad look for ASU to burn bridges at one of the top AZ high schools (in terms of football talent). Not sure it is quite equivalent to us pulling an offer from a Valor kid late, but similar to dropping a kid from Cherry Creek or Mullen. (Yes, I remember the Valor QB we pulled an offer from, who I think went to KU in the end. Lots of outside circumstances in that case.) To me, it is early proof that Edwards’s staff doesn’t get recruiting.

I understand it happens every year, but it is a bad look for ASU to burn bridges at one of the top AZ high schools (in terms of football talent). Not sure it is quite equivalent to us pulling an offer from a Valor kid late, but similar to dropping a kid from Cherry Creek or Mullen. (Yes, I remember the Valor QB we pulled an offer from, who I think went to KU in the end. Lots of outside circumstances in that case.) To me, it is early proof that Edwards’s staff doesn’t get recruiting.

Agree. The appearance (or reality) of punking Chandler Hamilton HS is not good. It's amateur hour in Tempe and will end badly. I caught Todd Graham's parting presser when I was in AZ for the holidays and it was 100% pure class. A bad firing IMO.

I think it's more of a black eye than a burned bridge, but i i's an indicator that Edwards doesn't get it. Will be interesting to see how much ASU implodes during this experiment.

His lack of other offers maybe tells the tale of what is going on.
Hard to get a read on that. He committed so early to the local program and shut things down. With this early signing period and him opening things up in December, it may be that he's going to have a JUCO type offer list of a limited number of teams still looking to fill an OT slot in their class.

Hard to get a read on that. He committed so early to the local program and shut things down. With this early signing period and him opening things up in December, it may be that he's going to have a JUCO type offer list of a limited number of teams still looking to fill an OT slot in their class.
Agreed, but like we have said and witnessed if he was good enough teams find a way to make it work and get him in. Had a visit to UCLA and didn't get an offer. Only Idaho and UNLV offers (per the services)

Agreed, but like we have said and witnessed if he was good enough teams find a way to make it work and get him in. Had a visit to UCLA and didn't get an offer. Only Idaho and UNLV offers (per the services)
I agree with you.

On a bit of a side note, Kelly seems to be very scheme/system specific in what he looks for in an OL. In his last stint with Oregon, he had one of the top running games and most dynamic offenses in the nation every year but I don't remember Oregon putting a lot of OLs into the NFL. Might be just my perception (I haven't looked up the facts). Anyway, that would be where I was coming from if I don't put a ton of stock in it that Kelly didn't offer Hunter or that he let Kanan Ray get away to CU.

I agree with you.

On a bit of a side note, Kelly seems to be very scheme/system specific in what he looks for in an OL. In his last stint with Oregon, he had one of the top running games and most dynamic offenses in the nation every year but I don't remember Oregon putting a lot of OLs into the NFL. Might be just my perception (I haven't looked up the facts). Anyway, that would be where I was coming from if I don't put a ton of stock in it that Kelly didn't offer Hunter or that he let Kanan Ray get away to CU.
Totally agree. I just watch his highlights. IMO they were Poor at best. Now I know why he did not get a UCLA offer. His feet are slow, his pass blocking (the few that we saw) is bad. Stops moving his feet after contact and stands straight up. Everybody he ran over were about half his size, or running away from him, or he had help with as double team. I don't see him playing at a P5 level. Maybe ASU saw that too...

If ASU saw that too, they get a B- for knowing their football and a F for how to handle this news with a local high school kit who committed a long time ago.

If a kid doesn't fit the new scheme (or is just judged to not be a good fit), it is best for everyone to get as early as a heads up as possible on that front.

Back