What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 JC SG Shane Gatling (SIGNED TO COLORADO)

So jucos do sign a LOI as opposed to just the financial agreement, right?
Yes. Transferring from a 2-year college to a 4-year college is a different type of transfer, there is LOI, and then there are also minimum requirements for eligibility so the transcripts have to be approved by the NCAA clearinghouse.

Thanks Nik. So he’s signed and sealed?
I think it is only a verbal commitment from him because I haven't seen any confirmation from CU. The school isn't allowed to comment about an individual recruit until that recruit is signed. If he was signed, we'd see the CU and Boyle tweets just as we did on Dombek this week. The player doesn't have to clear the NCAA before comment, though. Tad talked a lot about Nikolic last year after he was signed and while we were waiting on the NCAA for clearance.

Hell yes! This could be big time. If some other guys can develop a little more, CU is gonna have a dangerous squad,

I absolutely love this recruit! Perfect fit for this team right now - another ball handler, excellent quickness and terrific deep ball, three point shooter. I love his East coast background and willingness to go to a Juco in Iowa to improve his stock. This kid is all about basketball - we need his Queens, street toughness to win. I am hoping he really helps on the road, where Boyle's teams always seem to lack the mental toughness needed to win.

Great get! Changes the whole complexion of the recruiting class, IMO. Getting a guy who can play right away and shoot makes it more palatable to take a flier on Dombek (though big guys that run like that are always intriguing) and there's less pressure on Kountz and Parquet early.

Anything this guy gives us past threes is a bonus in my eyes. He makes every lineup he's in better on offense.

I took a longer look into his stats because averaging 16 points per game in (8 or 15 minutes) on about 10 shots just didn't make a bunch of sense. Basically there was some error in recording the minutes played per game by IHCC and a lot of games only showed 1 minute of playing time, no matter how much time he got. So basically discount the minutes per game in his stats.

If Tad didn't think he could work well within the structure of what the Buffs do he wouldn't have recruited him, he looks like a solid fit.

What I am intrigued about with him though is seeing on the highlights a guy who can get shots off under pressure and who can generate some points outside the offense.

One of the big concerns I have had since Tad has been here is the tendency for the offense to shut down for stretches and to thus have extended blocks of time with little to no scoring. Last season they had fewer of those as Kin showed an ability to create points on his own.

In Gatling I see another player who has the skills break through those stretches and get us back on the board.

2wRP.gif

So jucos do sign a LOI as opposed to just the financial agreement, right?

"As I look at next year's team, what we lost and what we need to add, Shane is a perfect fit," Boyle said. "He is the true combo guard we were looking for."

Gatling will also give the Buffaloes depth at the point. While there is no doubt he and Pac-12 All-Freshman team member McKinley Wright IV will be on the floor together at times, Gatling can step in and play the point as well.

"He's got the ability to play the point," Boyle said. "He's got a very good assist-to-turnover ratio, he has great ball skills. He's a guy that can shoot it and stretch the defense. Side-by-side they (Gatling and Wright) can be really good together, but as we saw when McKinley went down with an ankle sprain in the Pac-12 Tournament, we fell off pretty dramatically at that point guard position."

Gatling spent his freshman season at Niagara University, averaging 4.7 points in 33 games in 2016-17. He will have two years of eligibility remaining, starting with the 2018-19 season.

Gatling was a three-year starter for Baldwin High School, helping the Bruins to a 49-7 record, including a perfect 33-0 mark in league play. He averaged 18 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists as a senior, leading Baldwin to the Long Island AA Championship.

"He fits the bill on a lot of different levels," Boyle said. "Junior college kids are looking for the right situations and we're looking for the right fit for our team. We feel very good about him as a person, character wise, work ethic wise, all the things we look for. He's ready made, he's not a guy coming in as a freshman, he's a seasoned player and a great addition for us."

Last edited:
I was counting on/hoping for a top-4 finish in the Pac next year. Now I'm just counting on it. The young man should be a perfect compliment to this team. Welcome to Boulder Shane.

That was quick.

I expected it to be a while before clearing and signing the NLI.

Because he was a full qualifier out of high school (and played at Niagra, which is Division 1), the hurdles to transfer from JC are not nearly as tight as non-qualifiers. Many of the football Jucos have been in the same boat. They went to Juco to get found, not because they didn't have the academic chops to get it in.

When was the last time we signed a JUCO AA?

First Battey and now this...could be a big season coming from the Buffs.

Great article (free) from Adam.
https://247sports.com/college/color...ne-Gatling-Picks-Colorado-Buffaloes-117373469
That's not a bad offer list. Memphis and Mizzouri is not bad competition to beat
Sounds like his JC coach really likes his mentality, hard work, and attitude. Hopefully he adds some additional leadership and comes in with a chip on his shoulder.

Really starting to like this squad from a team chemistry point of view. Seems like there are a lot of selfless guys who work hard and just have a desire to win. Should be fun to watch!

When was the last time we signed a JUCO AA?

First Battey and now this...could be a big season coming from the Buffs.

This is a great CU trivia question. Two names came to mind - Sean Vandiver and Kenny Price. I swore that Kenny Price was a JuCo AA, but guess not. I looked up info on those two and Jaquay Walls, thinking one of those three were, but I can't find any mention of them as a JuCo AA. I have no idea... ...I'm stumped but would be interested to know the answer. I wonder if Gatling is our first?

This is a great CU trivia question. Two names came to mind - Sean Vandiver and Kenny Price. I swore that Kenny Price was a JuCo AA, but guess not. I looked up info on those two and Jaquay Walls, thinking one of those three were, but I can't find any mention of them as a JuCo AA. I have no idea... ...I'm stumped but would be interested to know the answer. I wonder if Gatling is our first?

I don't remember if they were JCAA or not, but if Gatling is anything like Price or Walls the Buffs will be really ****ing good next year!

Back