What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

I’ve seen the Louisville job mentioned a few times but I really don’t think it’s realistic for them this year. They paid a lot of money to settle ($5 mm plus) with Tom Jurich, are paying for Chris Mack’s buyout from Xavier and still going through the legal fight with Pitino. On top of that they would have to buyout Petrino’s contract and pay a salary upgrade for Brohm to be enticing.

I’ve seen the Louisville job mentioned a few times but I really don’t think it’s realistic for them this year. They paid a lot of money to settle ($5 mm plus) with Tom Jurich, are paying for Chris Mack’s buyout from Xavier and still going through the legal fight with Pitino. On top of that they would have to buyout Petrino’s contract and pay a salary upgrade for Brohm to be enticing.
Plus they can no longer count on the racist pizza money flowing in.

Virtually every player on Bama. They get good, player development is great.
I'm sure it's phenomenal at Alabama. However, 100% of their players have some pretty elite god-given ability as well. So again, if people are going to discount Chev by saying he "got lucky" with Viska and Viska hasn't been "coached up", I'd love to hear what being coached up specifically looks like.

I believe his buyout increases next year.

@SerenityBuff what are the names you have heard that commonly come up for the USC job? Usually it is pretty easy to see what coaches would be a good fit for big openings like that but I am having a hard time thinking of a many.

I'm sure it's phenomenal at Alabama. However, 100% of their players have some pretty elite god-given ability as well. So again, if people are going to discount Chev by saying he "got lucky" with Viska and Viska hasn't been "coached up", I'd love to hear what being coached up specifically looks like.
I think Viska has been coached up.

@SerenityBuff what are the names you have heard that commonly come up for the USC job? Usually it is pretty easy to see what coaches would be a good fit for big openings like that but I am having a hard time thinking of a many.

Jack Del Rio is the favorite. He’s a USC guy and is available. His name always comes up when USC has an opening but it’s never worked out timing wise. This could be the time.

I think Louisville will open up, but I don't think Jeff Brohm will take that gig. Why would he? He's got a power 5 job, and he's in the easiest division outside of the Pac 12 South in the sport. If I'm him, I'm waiting for a blue blood gig to open up, or I'm going after USC if that opens this year. Louisville is at best a lateral move, and whoever takes that gig will have to go through Clemson, Florida State (I think Taggart will get that thing going once he gets his recruits in there), and NC State just to get to the ACC Championship game.

Chev gets all the credit for Laviska, which also means I get to ask WTF was LaViska doing on the bench last year? No chance he wasn't our best WR last year. But, he is undoubtedly one of the best WR position coaches in CFB, when you include recruiting skills, in the business right now. I'm also ok with him getting some seasoning on the job. The dude needed to be elevated and CU did the right thing, and complemented it by bringing in Roper.

I think Louisville will open up, but I don't think Jeff Brohm will take that gig. Why would he? He's got a power 5 job, and he's in the easiest division outside of the Pac 12 South in the sport. If I'm him, I'm waiting for a blue blood gig to open up, or I'm going after USC if that opens this year. Louisville is at best a lateral move, and whoever takes that gig will have to go through Clemson, Florida State (I think Taggart will get that thing going once he gets his recruits in there), and NC State just to get to the ACC Championship game.
It’s just highly speculated that he would because his dad went to (and coached?) at Louisville and Jeff along with his 2 brothers, who are now members of his staff, played at Louisville at well. He’s the non-douchey, respectable version of Scott Frost with two brothers that are Louisville alum as well

It’s just highly speculated that he would because his dad went to (and coached?) at Louisville and Jeff along with his 2 brothers, who are now members of his staff, played at Louisville at well. He’s the non-douchey, respectable version of Scott Frost with two brothers that are Louisville alum as well

Oh no question he's going to be their number one target if UL parts ways with Petrino. I just don't think he's going to take the job, but that's purely a guess.

Chev gets all the credit for Laviska, which also means I get to ask WTF was LaViska doing on the bench last year? No chance he wasn't our best WR last year. But, he is undoubtedly one of the best WR position coaches in CFB, when you include recruiting skills, in the business right now. I'm also ok with him getting some seasoning on the job. The dude needed to be elevated and CU did the right thing, and complemented it by bringing in Roper.

Don’t forget the other OC!

if were one of the ACC teams that think they can win 10 or 11 games a year like Pitt or UNC....i'd rally the boosters and throw a lot of money at Mark Stoops. i'm not sure there's a higher ceiling than 7-1 at Kentucky.

that good year the ACC had is two years ago and it's all Clemson now.

time for someone to step the F up. this ain't no puny basketball conference.....let's get it going.

Last edited:
USC never seems to flex their muscle and poach a big name coach (ala aTm, Texas, Miami, FLA). I think that would be their best bet. Pony up the cash and get someone in there with a proven track record.

USC never seems to flex their muscle and poach a big name coach (ala aTm, Texas, Miami, FLA). I think that would be their best bet. Pony up the cash and get someone in there with a proven track record.
They don’t want the HC to have too much control over the program. Lots of politics at USC.

SC recruits itself. But since it is LA, they need somebody who is somewhat charismatic. The best success they have recently had is with a personable HC, with solid, not great, coaching skills. I would think going the same route would be the answer. The question is, who is most like Pete Carroll? Jack Del Rio actually fits that mold. I am not sure he would be the terrible choice some are saying.

I actually would be a little worried if they hired Del Rio.

USC gets too caught up in being USC. They hire coaches that they think are USC guys as opposed to hiring the best coach they can find.

That’s what keeps the rest of the conference in a position to win the league. If USC ever decided to go get themselves a real football coach, they’d blow the doors off of everybody. Saban would have a hard time competing against them.

Back