What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 MBB Recruit Profile Index

So Sow and Parquet are on campus this weekend, with Higgs next weekend. Any word on Battin, Kountz or Hamilton? We should be getting answers on the 2018 class very soon.

So Sow and Parquet are on campus this weekend, with Higgs next weekend. Any word on Battin, Kountz or Hamilton? We should be getting answers on the 2018 class very soon.
Kountz is here this weekend, too.

What's the class makeup for this year? Is it a one-to-one replacement of the scholarship players leaving? Right now we have a guard, wing, and big leaving, are we trying to duplicate that in the class?

What's the class makeup for this year? Is it a one-to-one replacement of the scholarship players leaving? Right now we have a guard, wing, and big leaving, are we trying to duplicate that in the class?
A big is a must, with only Battey and Walton bringing any real size to next year's roster. A left handed wing is a safe bet for Tad in every cycle. They have some flexibility to go BPA with the 3rd scholarship, but my money would be on another wing. One of Parquet/Kountz plus Higgs plus Sow complements one another pretty well. They could save that final scholarship for a grad transfer, too.

I just don't see why recruiting should dip this year from Top 150 type guys. It's where they were with Peters and Siewert. It's where they were with the 2017 class except for the Euro recruiting. I believe that's they type of player we'll see for the 2018 class.

Kountz is #306 by the 24/7 composite and Parquet is #441. It's going to take a massive leap for either of them to be top 150 type guys.

This is what happens when you have 7 (mostly) highly regarded freshmen. Hopefully one of them outplays their ranking.

Kountz is #306 by the 24/7 composite and Parquet is #441. It's going to take a massive leap for either of them to be top 150 type guys.

This is what happens when you have 7 (mostly) highly regarded freshmen. Hopefully one of them outplays their ranking.
Parquet missed a lot of basketball with a torn rotator cuff. It's safe to assume that as he plays more, he'll get more exposure. That may correspond to a bump. A 300 spot bump? Probably not.

Parquet missed a lot of basketball with a torn rotator cuff. It's safe to assume that as he plays more, he'll get more exposure. That may correspond to a bump. A 300 spot bump? Probably not.

This class was always going to be comprised of under-the-radar guys. I have faith in our current evaluators. Sow or another big like him is the difference maker.

This class was always going to be comprised of under-the-radar guys. I have faith in our current evaluators. Sow or another big like him is the difference maker.

I refuse to accept this statement at first read. If you actually mean, "less hyped than our last class", then sure, that's fine. If you actually do mean "under the radar", I completely disagree. We should always be getting a similar ranked class within some range, not under the radar.

I'm having serious PTSD ala Hopkins, Thomas, Talton, Stalzer etc...and what worries me is neither of these recruits don't look to have the athletic upside.

Nothing wrong with setting the annual bar at strong 3 to soft 4 star recruits. Having under-the-radar combo guards as our two early verbals adds a ton of pressure to us getting someone of Sow's caliber.

Also, for as much as I love Tad, I don't trust his evaluation of "combo" guards. Since Dinwiddie, consistently poor guard play has plagued us (aside from last year with White)

I refuse to accept this statement at first read. If you actually mean, "less hyped than our last class", then sure, that's fine. If you actually do mean "under the radar", I completely disagree. We should always be getting a similar ranked class within some range, not under the radar.

Most debates are born out of two separate uses of the same keywords.

Are you talking about what we should be doing or reality? Like I posted in this thread in July, this is going to be a complementary class and the people who don't understand why are going to be upset. The circumstances of the 2017 class were unusual both in its size and quality. Let's review CU's class ranking on 24/7 for the 5 years prior to 2017:

2016: #75
2015: #126
2014: #70
2013: #55
2012: #17

2017 was a once-every-4 or 5 year class for this program. Quality recruits want to go to blue bloods or good programs with straightforward routes to playing time--hello McKinley Wright. 7 scholarship freshmen makes it very hard for recruits to forecast their playing time. With less success on the court than we had 4 years ago, it was always unreasonable to expect more than one highly-regarded prospect in this cycle.

With Sow out, I'd rather save the scholarship for the spring when we know more about what we have with this team and the transfer market heats up.

Most debates are born out of two separate uses of the same keywords.

Are you talking about what we should be doing or reality? Like I posted in this thread in July, this is going to be a complementary class and the people who don't understand why are going to be upset. The circumstances of the 2017 class were unusual both in its size and quality. Let's review CU's class ranking on 24/7 for the 5 years prior to 2017:

2016: #75
2015: #126
2014: #70
2013: #55
2012: #17

2017 was a once-every-4 or 5 year class for this program. Quality recruits want to go to blue bloods or good programs with straightforward routes to playing time--hello McKinley Wright. 7 scholarship freshmen makes it very hard for recruits to forecast their playing time. With less success on the court than we had 4 years ago, it was always unreasonable to expect more than one highly-regarded prospect in this cycle.

With Sow out, I'd rather save the scholarship for the spring when we know more about what we have with this team and the transfer market heats up.

Fair, but I disagree a little. Yes, blue bloods will get their lion share of the best recruits, but there are plenty of quality guys after the fringe one-and-done guys. After Tad set a foundation of success, I thought he could be going after better rated prospects, and he was going after top 100-150 guys. He even went after Dorsey. I feel that this should be the case every year - and our class ranking should routinely be in the 20-30s.

Yes, I agree though that matching last year's class was going to be tough, particularly due to the class imbalance we have right now. However, I don't think going after underrated guys is the way to go. I know Tad likely is going after higher rated guys we don't know about, but I will say I am underwhelmed right now. I think it's reasonable to expect solid 150 guys every year with a top 50 guy on occasion.

I think we will have to have some attrition...I still don't get some of the guys on the squad, but whatever - have to trust Coach overall. I think we must get a big with our last scholarship. Some fans are in love with Dallas, but he's a complete unknown at this point. Granted he was coming off big knee injuries, but his HS tape shows nothing to think he'll be a force. He's an intriguing prospect with much potential. We need someone to help clear boards and offer length as insurance.

After this year and if McKinley is as advertised, it will be easier to get a big man.
As far as attrition goes, it always happens.
Lots of players and only so many minutes. If you try to please all you wont be helping the team.
Players job to make it so coach has to play you and keep you on the floor.
Get in shape and play smart so you can play 30+ minutes and not be in foul trouble.

Are we in on any transfer big guys or under wraps recruits?

Very excited to see this team grow and turn into a cohesive rebounding unit...even so, it's clear to see that our lack of PF/C recruiting since the Josh/Wes class may be what holds us back from being a tourney team this year.

Aziz (same last name but not related) pretty much broke the Allbuffs profanity filter when CU recruited him and later when we played Stanford in Pac-12 football games, so I'm pretty glad to see that Simisola is playing basketball in a different conference. :D
fd5bb99e-ab38-481c-9cff-cc4bf9fb2022.png

Since I don't see a thread for the class or recruit yet, wanted to post her that it looks like there may be a 2019 class offer out to center Raymond Hawkins.

Don't see a 2020 thread yet?,?- offer looks to have been made to Ty Berry, a 6'2" PG from Newton Kansas.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ty-Berry-46041665

Edit- Just did a quick search, and 247 is showing one more 2020 Buff offer- to HIGHLY ranked (#3 overall and #1 PG in his class per 247) 6'4" PG Jalen Suggs from Minneapolis, MN (Minnehaha Academy-upper School).

Last edited:
Both Bill Grier and Mike Rohn started following AJ Edu recently. Skinny as a rail, but pretty skilled and plenty athletic. Maybe an indication of TMS news (or maybe not, as there is at least one scholarship I can think of opening up). He is also international (Filipino Nigerian)

Kim English just followed Tykei Greene on Twitter, a class of 18 guard from NYC. Mike Rohn also joined Kim English in following Brandon Willams, the 5* G, but that's a pipe dream

Based on Adam's recent reporting and news of this Williams visit, looks like Boyle is not looking for a wing for this position. Looking at bigs and also at big time take guards. I personally prefer a guard, preferably another one who can be a legit point guard. I've grown to like watching CU play offense with a legit point guard, and I don't want to go back to the dark days. I'm also worried his focus on bigs is related to uncertainty with Big Gravy. A positive take would be that the staff thinks we scored with our two guard recruits already in the fold. I may also just be seeing something that's not there

Based on Adam's recent reporting and news of this Williams visit, looks like Boyle is not looking for a wing for this position. Looking at bigs and also at big time take guards. I personally prefer a guard, preferably another one who can be a legit point guard. I've grown to like watching CU play offense with a legit point guard, and I don't want to go back to the dark days. I'm also worried his focus on bigs is related to uncertainty with Big Gravy. A positive take would be that the staff thinks we scored with our two guard recruits already in the fold. I may also just be seeing something that's not there
What I'm seeing in the NCAA tourney with the teams having the most success is: 1 guy who is able to dictate pace as the primary ball handler, 1 guy who can guard the post and score from it, and 3 guys who play positionless basketball. I think that's a trend that is here to stay and that it fits Tad's way of doing things.

What I'm seeing in the NCAA tourney with the teams having the most success is: 1 guy who is able to dictate pace as the primary ball handler, 1 guy who can guard the post and score from it, and 3 guys who play positionless basketball. I think that's a trend that is here to stay and that it fits Tad's way of doing things.

It's literally how Tad has recruited his entire time here. The only reason we had two "traditional" bigs for a while was because we got lucky and had two damn good big man recruits in the state ready to go.

Back