What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Rocky Mountain Showdown (8/30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually looking forward to the game this year. I’ll celebrate the end of the Denver experiment.

Traffic at 4:00 PM on a Friday is going to SUCK, though. I hope they agree to open the lots a little early. Although doing so will mean people have more time to get polluted.
Gonna suck. Rockies game at like 6pm too

Hello Jim Leavitt
Off the top of my head, Leavitt and Pelini are the 2 coaches who would worry me a bit if hired by CSU. I think they'd both build a program that would challenge for MWC titles in a hurry.

Eh. Maybe. The DPD has been remarkably non assholish the last few years. Almost as if somebody told them to chill out.

My former neighbor was a Denver homicide detective that was asked to work at the '99 "riot" game. He is a great guy and wonderful neighbor, so I take his word about what happened. He said the students were complete a-holes the whole game and felt that they were looking to start trouble. When they got the word to suit up, he wasn't at all excited about what was going to happen next.

Evidently tear gas sticks to their clothes so even though they have masks, they get a good amount of it when they take them off. It's not a pleasant experience, even though they are prepared for it. He couldn't believe that people wouldn't vacate when they were told to, especially the people with kids. Felt that they were stupidly exposing their children to the potential issues when they were warned to leave. Just felt the whole thing was unfortunate and that the night games give students too long to drink and get out of hand.

My former neighbor was a Denver homicide detective that was asked to work at the '99 "riot" game. He is a great guy and wonderful neighbor, so I take his word about what happened. He said the students were complete a-holes the whole game and felt that they were looking to start trouble. When they got the word to suit up, he wasn't at all excited about what was going to happen next.

Evidently tear gas sticks to their clothes so even though they have masks, they get a good amount of it when they take them off. It's not a pleasant experience, even though they are prepared for it. He couldn't believe that people wouldn't vacate when they were told to, especially the people with kids. Felt that they were stupidly exposing their children to the potential issues when they were warned to leave. Just felt the whole thing was unfortunate and that the night games give students too long to drink and get out of hand.
I was there as a kid and to this day, my dad still talks about how the cops very much unnecessarily escalated the entire situation. That account tends to align more with the typical attitude and behavior of police, tbh. Not to call your former neighbor a liar, and I'm sure the student sections were rude, but I find it hard to believe it was any worse than any other game.

No doubt in my mind the DPD made that situation way worse than it needed to be. They didn’t create the problem, but their reaction to it was about as irresponsible as it could have been. Took what should have been a minor issue with a few kids and turned it into a full scale riot. Dumbassery on full display that night by DPD.

And they will never, ever admit they were the problem.

No doubt in my mind the DPD made that situation way worse than it needed to be. They didn’t create the problem, but their reaction to it was about as irresponsible as it could have been. Took what should have been a minor issue with a few kids and turned it into a full scale riot. Dumbassery on full display that night by DPD.

And they will never, ever admit they were the problem.
You must respect their authoritah...or some such thing.

Off the top of my head, Leavitt and Pelini are the 2 coaches who would worry me a bit if hired by CSU. I think they'd both build a program that would challenge for MWC titles in a hurry.
Pelini has been less than impressive at Youngstown State
Agree with Master Blaster. I don't think Pelini would be a good fit in Ft. Collins. He may have some initial success but he would grind on everyone involved in the program including the players and the fans. He also can't control himself and he would give them reason to fire for cause.

Leavitt though would be reason for concern. He can recruit and would step up the level of their talent. He is also good at motivating that talent.

He wasn't a super coach at South Florida. His best record as after they moved up from D1a was 9-4 (twice) and he never won his conference but he won consistently. He is the kind of coach who could get CSU back into the race for 2nd or 3rd in the MWC every year.

[/QUOTE]

That night and these games in the late 90s/early 2000s were when all the ***** goat fans came out of their parents' basement. As much fun as we have with the Nubs, you'd never hear them in the middle of that type of crap. Thank the lord the Denver game dies in 16 days-everything about it sucks. I'd kill the game for 20-30 years and let them languish in MWC purgatory-let's go play Air Force four times in a decade if we're looking to play somebody in Colorado.

Agree with Master Blaster. I don't think Pelini would be a good fit in Ft. Collins. He may have some initial success but he would grind on everyone involved in the program including the players and the fans. He also can't control himself and he would give them reason to fire for cause.

Leavitt though would be reason for concern. He can recruit and would step up the level of their talent. He is also good at motivating that talent.

He wasn't a super coach at South Florida. His best record as after they moved up from D1a was 9-4 (twice) and he never won his conference but he won consistently. He is the kind of coach who could get CSU back into the race for 2nd or 3rd in the MWC every year.

They're going to hire like Sark, James Coley, that wunderkind LSU took from the Saints who they think will finally be the guy to take their offense into the 21st century or (insert name of SEC assistant coach here) and hope they find the next coming of Sparkles. Leavitt's ego is too big to take that gig-and by the way, am I the only one who would hire Bobo as an Alabama-style analyst if he got fired up there after this year?

I was there as a kid and to this day, my dad still talks about how the cops very much unnecessarily escalated the entire situation. That account tends to align more with the typical attitude and behavior of police, tbh. Not to call your former neighbor a liar, and I'm sure the student sections were rude, but I find it hard to believe it was any worse than any other game.
I happened to get a field pass for this game, and I will tell you that the truth (from my perspective) is in between these two statements. It was more than a handful of dumbass students, and they were going ape**** throwing **** onto the field. It was the only time that I have ever felt unsafe on a football field out of well over 100 times being on a field for a game as a player or spectator.

That being said, the use of tear gas and the subsequent elimination of night games for the following ~10 years was an over reaction for sure.

I was in the student section and from what I remember, the students tried rushing the field. That's when the tear gas was used. Yes, down vote for being in the csu student section.

I could see it coming and my wife was begging me to leave. We did leave in the third quarter and missed all the fun of seeing CSU students getting extra tears of joy.

I could see it coming and my wife was begging me to leave. We did leave in the third quarter and missed all the fun of seeing CSU students getting extra tears of joy.

Can't wait for them to leave with 2:00 left in the first quarter when we're up 21-0 already. We trash them two more times they'll want avoid us for 20 years.

They're going to hire like Sark, James Coley, that wunderkind LSU took from the Saints who they think will finally be the guy to take their offense into the 21st century or (insert name of SEC assistant coach here) and hope they find the next coming of Sparkles. Leavitt's ego is too big to take that gig-and by the way, am I the only one who would hire Bobo as an Alabama-style analyst if he got fired up there after this year?
Baby Sark?

#CSUtoBig12
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back