What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

How do they get there if they can’t travel as a team?

giphy.gif

Honestly Boulder County has bigger things to worry about than CU football.

If the AD has it's act together they have been in regular contact with BCHE (Boulder County Health and Environment) and the details of the plans have already be sent over which will be reviewed leading to an announcement in the next couple business days that athletics at CU is exempted as long as they certify that they are meeting all points on the submitted plan.

Now are there individual officials in county government who would gladly take advantage of an opportunity to remind everyone that they have a title and an office? Certainly, but they aren't going to risk that status in a pushing match with the single most important economic entity in the county.

In the county I live in a couple month ago we had a big-time pissing match between public health and the sheriffs office over authority around the governors orders for restaurants dining in. Once the Sheriff was able to remind everyone he had a badge and the health department reminded everyone that they could close down a restaurant if it came down to it and the state would back them with state LE it all blew over.

Unfortunately politics do play a part but in this situation the threat that is being addressed is real. BCHE is looking at a huge number of new cases and limited medical resources and taking action. Things like football practice are a long way down the list of considerations in a situation like this.
What you are projecting here sounds reasonable, but that's not what I was responding to. I was responding to a very direct question being asked of the County, and the answer being a simple "No". Not "it depends", not, "we will get to that when we can and evaluate their safety measures", not "They need to submit a plan for us to review". The answer was a flat out "No", which infers no further consideration on their part. That is so ****ing on par with the County of Boulder that it makes my blood boil (if you couldn't tell :) )

So if the health order stands and Cu can’t practice for two weeks, they’ll have 4 weeks to ramp up for game 1
What is going to change in two weeks. The numbers will drop. The order will be dropped and then the numbers start going back up. Then a new order. Numbers drop . See this circle jerk we are in.

The Pac 12 release, with general parts and those related to football quoted. (Full release - https://pac-12.com/article/2020/09/24/pac-12-announcement)

"
SAN FRANCISCO - The Pac-12 CEO Group announced today that based upon updated Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee recommendations that take into account material changes to testing capabilities, the prevalence of COVID-19 and cardiac issues, along with updated state and local health official guidance, the Conference will resume its football, basketball and winter sport seasons. The football season may now commence for those teams that have the necessary state and local health approvals on November 6, men’s and women’s basketball on November 25 consistent with the NCAA’s official start date for these sports, and other winter sports consistent with the NCAA season dates for those sports. The decision follows a meeting of the CEO Group last week where the Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee presented its updated health and safety recommendations (available here), along with the CEO Group having reviewed details on the rollout of the previously announced Quidel daily rapid-results testing program.

For universities utilizing daily antigen testing, at least one weekly PCR test will also be administered for each student-athlete, in addition to all positive tests to be confirmed with a PCR test. All testing recommendations will be reviewed and updated as needed on an ongoing basis.

The August 11 decision of the Pac-12 CEO Group to postpone sport competitions was based upon three central concerns cited by the Medical Advisory Committee: consistent testing capabilities across all Pac-12 universities, the prevalence of the virus in Pac-12 communities and nationally, and concerns related to possible cardiac concerns potentially associated with COVID-19. The decision to resume sport competitions today is based upon updated Medical Advisory Committee recommendations that point to material improvements in each of these three areas, along with updated state and local public health guidance.

In addition to the consistent access to sufficient testing across all Pac-12 programs, community prevalence has shown continued improvement in the majority of communities across the Pac-12 footprint. To address concerns regarding potential health outcomes related to the virus, each Pac-12 sports medicine group will be implementing cardiac monitoring protocols for all student-athletes with a positive test. The Pac-12 institutions are also participating in a national COVID-19 cardiac registry which will allow for medical practitioners to monitor closely, and gain greater insight into, potential health outcomes in student-athletes.

With respect to football, there was agreement that these advances permitted either a fall or a winter season. After extensive discussion of the relative merits of the two approaches, a strong preference emerged for a fall season, and the CEOs unanimously agreed to proceed with that schedule.

No fans will be permitted at any sporting competition taking place on Pac-12 campuses. The decision to not allow fans at competitions will be revisited based upon health and safety considerations in January 2021.

“The health and safety of our student-athletes and all those connected to Pac-12 sports remains our guiding light and number one priority,” said Pac-12 CEO Group Chair and University of Oregon President Michael Schill. “Our CEO Group has taken a measured and thoughtful approach to today’s decision, including extensive consultation with stakeholders on the evolving information and data related to health and safety.”

“From the beginning of this crisis, our focus has been on following the science, data and counsel of our public health and infectious disease experts,” said Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott. “Our agreement with Quidel to provide daily rapid-results testing has been a game-changer in enabling us to move forward with confidence that we can create a safe environment for our student-athletes while giving them the opportunity to pursue their dreams. At the same time, we will continue to monitor health conditions and data and be ready to adjust as required in the name of the health of all.”

The Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee concluded in its updated recommendations that “the conditions for the resumption of contact/competition can be met by the institutions when antigen testing is available on each campus. We believe access to near-daily rapid point of care testing for contact sports will significantly improve our ability to prevent transmission of COVID during higher risk of transmission activities and reduce the risk of travel.”

In the sport of football, Pac-12 universities with the necessary public health approvals may commence practice immediately with a seven game Conference-only season to begin on November 6, and the Pac-12 Championship Game on December 18, enabling Pac-12 teams to be considered for selection by the CFP. The football schedule will be released in the coming days.

In all cases, competition with non-conference opponents will be contingent upon such non-conference opponents implementing minimum testing protocols in accordance with NCAA and Pac-12 COVID-19 Medical Advisory Committee recommendations.
"

Question for somebody who either lives up there or has a student at CU-what restrictions have the school/city put in place to minimize the partying during the pandemic?

Yep, and I can almost guarantee that RG has told them they will go elsewhere if the county does not work with them. Based off the above tweets, it seems CU has been the most vocal about starting and you know they aren't going sit idle.
We might be assholes with big ass sour pickles straight up our asses, but we’re the ****ing Buffs, in RG we trust, and we’ll find a way to play some damn football safely come hell or high amounts of L’s in the loss column, dammit!

I still don’t understand making definitive statements about the number of games, conference championship, etc. just begin playing and see where it goes. If it goes smoothly and no games are cancelled due to the testing model why stop playing if other conferences are still having issues. If we have learned anything over the last couple of months it’s that **** changes all the time. This is why I said it was stupid to postpone until spring when this all started. Delay, delay delay.

This guy‘s “no“ is a perfect reminder of why governments have press officers. I can imagine a discussion with a press officer along these lines:

Press Officer: We need to give him an answer.

Asshat: No.

Press Officer: But . . .he’s the media.

Asshat: The answer is no.

Press Officer: But . . . we always answer press inquiries.

Asshat: Yes, we do.

Press Officer: So . . . .

Asshat: Just tell him no. That’s it, no.

Press Officer: We’re going to look like a bunch of rigid, self-important, bureaucrats if we do that. We can’t just say no. We’ll be a laughingstock. We need to add something.

Asshat: No. Oh, and I hate football.

Press Officer: I think I’ll leave that last bit out.

I still don’t understand making definitive statements about the number of games, conference championship, etc. just begin playing and see where it goes. If it goes smoothly and no games are cancelled due to the testing model why stop playing if other conferences are still having issues. If we have learned anything over the last couple of months it’s that **** changes all the time. This is why I said it was stupid to postpone until spring when this all started. Delay, delay delay.

I think the goal in giving a definitive stop date is to give full preparation for the 2021 season.

I think the goal in giving a definitive stop date is to give full preparation for the 2021 season.
That’s understandable but what’s the difference between ending in mid December and mid January? Bowl games (other than the CFP) should be the last priority right now

That’s understandable but what’s the difference between ending in mid December and mid January? Bowl games (other than the CFP) should be the last priority right now

I don't think bowl games are really any sort of consideration right now. I would think pushing into January pushes spring practices back, which is not ideal if you can help it. CU of all teams really needs a true late winter/spring of workouts and practices more than one or two additional 2020 games.

I don't think bowl games are really any sort of consideration right now. I would think pushing into January pushes spring practices back, which is not ideal if you can help it. CU of all teams really needs a true late winter/spring of workouts and practices more than one or two additional 2020 games.

I don't think we're going to hear anything about bowl games until at least the MWC announces what (if anything) they're doing. I don't think the MAC will be back

Back