What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Huh? Do you have an example or a source that suggests a University is on the hook if a player is seriously injured during the course of play? How is the University liable for that? That's definitely not the case unless it is found that specific safety precautions weren't taken. I'll also believe the CTE lawsuits against Universities when I see them.
Who do you think pays for the surgeries? They rehab people all of the time.

Tons of lawsuits initiated last year. They’re coming.

When you’re in a pile, there’s 0.0% chance that saliva will stay in the player’s mouths even if they’re not hocking a loogie.

Sure-but I'd counter that with what Klatt said and the lower COVID death rates among college age kids. I get there are going to be situations like the Cody Lyster kid in Grand Junction-but that's the exception, not the rule. Stud football players can get better care at school than they can at home locked down too because a lot of them are coming from rough backgrounds.

Sure-but I'd counter that with what Klatt said and the lower COVID death rates among college age kids. I get there are going to be situations like the Cody Lyster kid in Grand Junction-but that's the exception, not the rule. Stud football players can get better care at school than they can at home locked down too because a lot of them are coming from rough backgrounds.
Not every football player has low body fat. That’s one of the biggest factors in C-19 deaths.

Who do you think pays for the surgeries? They rehab people all of the time.

Tons of lawsuits initiated last year. They’re coming.

I assume surgeries and rehab are paid for as part of the insurance for the players, not not some kind of lawsuit where the University is found liable for something, which is the context of this discussion.

Fair enough on the CTE stuff, we'll see where it goes.

I assume surgeries and rehab are paid for as part of the insurance for the players, not not some kind of lawsuit where the University is found liable for something, which is the context of this discussion.

Fair enough on the CTE stuff, we'll see where it goes.
If a player dies or has a life threatening injury, insurance pays. The Uni pays for the insurance as long as they’re deemed a worthwhile insurance risk. That’s my only point. Insurance carriers will have a lot to say.

If a player dies or has a life threatening injury, insurance pays. The Uni pays for the insurance as long as they’re deemed a worthwhile insurance risk. That’s my only point. Insurance carriers will have a lot to say.
I could see insurance premiums increasing if/when they decide to play, but that's not really part of the points being brought up about "liability".

Not every football player has low body fat. That’s one of the biggest factors in C-19 deaths.

That's true-I mean we'll see. Asthma's another variable here that's fairly common now a days. Simple solution would be for schools to say "Hey, we're going to open campuses for anybody who wants to come back, but if you don't we'll make sure you get recorded/virtual versions of your classes" for the kids/families who aren't comfortable going back to school.

Last edited:
I could see insurance premiums increasing if/when they decide to play, but that's not really part of the points being brought up about "liability".
In my view, the schools will need to take significant precautions to keep their insurance and minimize their lawsuit exposure from negligence. If I were in a position of authority, this would be my number one concern because the liability is huge.

In my view, the schools will need to take significant precautions to keep their insurance and minimize their lawsuit exposure from negligence. If I were in a position of authority, this would be my number one concern because the liability is huge.
LOL again, what lawsuit exposure?? What are they going to be sued for; a player catching a virus that can literally be caught anywhere? I agree there will be significant precautions taken to satisfy insurance companies, but acting like there's just too much "liability" to play is absurd.

LOL again, what lawsuit exposure?? What are they going to be sued for; a player catching a virus that can literally be caught anywhere? I agree there will be significant precautions taken to satisfy insurance companies, but acting like there's just too much "liability" to play is absurd.
If player gets C-19 from another player and dies, do you think their family won’t sue the University? What happens if 50 players get C-19 and die or have major medical bills? You don’t think their families won’t sue the university?

It’s absurd you think a place can just avoid liability when they’re negligent. Why did Universities all across the country close when C-19 was at the initial outbreak stage if the students, faculty, and staff could “just get it anywhere?” There’s liability. The football team in a college campus is not limited to just the people in and around the football program. There are professors, tutors, staff people. If the school is not minimizing exposure at all points where possible, there is a case for negligence.

Stud football players can get better care at school than they can at home locked down too because a lot of them are coming from rough backgrounds.

It's not just the stud football players, but the crappy football players as well. The schools won't discriminate their health programs based on the quality of the player.

If player gets C-19 from another player and dies, do you think their family won’t sue the University? What happens if 50 players get C-19 and die or have major medical bills? You don’t think their families won’t sue the university?

It’s absurd you think a place can just avoid liability when they’re negligent. Why did Universities all across the country close when C-19 was at the initial outbreak stage if the students, faculty, and staff could “just get it anywhere?” There’s liability. The football team in a college campus is not limited to just the people in and around the football program. There are professors, tutors, staff people. If the school is not minimizing exposure at all points where possible, there is a case for negligence.
How would that make them negligent? They shut down because they were forced to shut down, along with everything else, not because they were worried about getting sued. The only way there is negligence in your hypotheticals is if the Universities decide to go full virtual semester, but still allow the football programs to operate as usual. If campuses are open, there is no way Universities are liable for students, including athletes, getting COVID.

How would that make them negligent? They shut down because they were forced to shut down, along with everything else, not because they were worried about getting sued. The only way there is negligence in your hypotheticals is if the Universities decide to go full virtual semester, but still allow the football programs to operate as usual. If campuses are open, there is no way Universities are liable for students, including athletes, getting COVID.
You’re wrong. Just consulted a good friend who’s a personal injury attorney and major college football fan.

Here’s what he said:

The states will provide C-19 precautions that will likely contain significant (3-4x per week) testing, tracing, and distancing guidelines. The states will will also create guidelines for sports at their colleges and universities to observe these protocols as it pertains to interactions with other programs and other members of the college campus. IF the school fails to observe these guidelines and demand that players play the games, there will be cases for negligence. Liability.

The liabilities for private universities will be greater because strict observance of the above guidelines will only provide immunity to state institutions. Private institutions will have to test more frequently and create strong processes for tracing and distancing. These schools will be in a bind because they won’t be exempted from labor suits if the larger school is closed but there will be a demand to have college players play football. Assuming that the university is open anyway, their AD budgets will determine if they can afford to observe strict protocols.

Your concept of a lack of liability is unfounded. It will be expensive to test 150 people who surround a team before every contact event. If a school cuts any corners, they will be negligent.

You’re wrong. Just consulted a good friend who’s a personal injury attorney and major college football fan.

Here’s what he said:

The states will provide C-19 precautions that will likely contain significant (3-4x per week) testing, tracing, and distancing guidelines. The states will will also create guidelines for sports at their colleges and universities to observe these protocols as it pertains to interactions with other programs and other members of the college campus. IF the school fails to observe these guidelines and demand that players play the games, there will be cases for negligence. Liability.

The liabilities for private universities will be greater because strict observance of the above guidelines will only provide immunity to state institutions. Private institutions will have to test more frequently and create strong processes for tracing and distancing. These schools will be in a bind because they won’t be exempted from labor suits if the larger school is closed but there will be a demand to have college players play football. Assuming that the university is open anyway, their AD budgets will determine if they can afford to observe strict protocols.

Your concept of a lack of liability is unfounded. It will be expensive to test 150 people who surround a team before every contact event. If a school cuts any corners, they will be negligent.

The German Football League is hell bent on having a season and is arguing football isn't a contact but rather a collision sport, FYI.

(Clubs seem overwhelmingly against it as gate receipts are their only source of notable income)

Covid-19 is like a new get-rich-quick scheme for your buddy.
This person loves college football and the University of Colorado Buffaloes in particular. He is a die hard. This is not a scheme for him. I asked him because I know he’d give me a straight answer in spite of his bias toward our alma mater.

The German Football League is hell bent on having a season and is arguing football isn't a contact but rather a collision sport, FYI.

(Clubs seem overwhelmingly against it as gate receipts are their only source of notable income)
Selfishly, I am happy that the 1BL is going to go because it’ll give me something to bet. However, given the rate of transmission that occurred early on in Italy and Spain from just a few matches, I wish them well.

Here’s what he said:

Yeah!!! Stick it to the privates!!! </half sarcastic>

Selfishly, I am happy that the 1BL is going to go because it’ll give me something to bet. However, given the rate of transmission that occurred early on in Italy and Spain from just a few matches, I wish them well.

I've one-upped you-won a fair amount of "won" betting the KBO the last week and a half.

I've one-upped you-won a fair amount of "won" betting the KBO the last week and a half.
giphy.gif

Mark Emmert was just on CNN and said it was “extremely likely” certain schools and conferences start sports at different times. Some in the Fall and some in the winter. Tifwiw

I support classes reopening and football being played safely, including last night’s CSU announcement. However, wanting to or liking to put in place a test, trace, isolate system is not good enough. It has to be mandatory.
—————-
Increasing rapid testing when an individual on campus has been exposed to COVID-19. The university would also like to be able to perform robust contact tracing and institute self-isolation and quarantine to prevent the spread of the virus

I support classes reopening and football being played safely, including last night’s CSU announcement. However, wanting to or liking to put in place a test, trace, isolate system is not good enough. It has to be mandatory.
—————-
Increasing rapid testing when an individual on campus has been exposed to COVID-19. The university would also like to be able to perform robust contact tracing and institute self-isolation and quarantine to prevent the spread of the virus

A solid testing regime is mandatory and needs to be a given for any sport at the high school level or above to return. If it isn't, this and any discussions about sports returning are a waste of time. Most of you know I referee HS basketball-I fully expect to be tested regularly (like every time I get to a school) assuming that goes off as planned in the winter.

One other thing to keep in mind with CU being open this fall-the CSU announcement means every public university or system in Colorado with the exception of the CU system has already definitely said they're planning on on-campus learning this fall.

A solid testing regime is mandatory and needs to be a given for any sport at the high school level or above to return. If it isn't, this and any discussions about sports returning are a waste of time. Most of you know I referee HS basketball-I fully expect to be tested regularly (like every time I get to a school) assuming that goes off as planned in the winter.

One other thing to keep in mind with CU being open this fall-the CSU announcement means every public university or system in Colorado with the exception of the CU system has already definitely said they're planning on on-campus learning this fall.
Is it even feasible to test for every game? Maybe I have missed something but those tests aren't instant and has to be sent in to be examined.

Back