What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

if the season is cancelled I'm in favor of granting another year of eligibility but without the scholarship, assuming classes resume and players can still make progress toward their degrees.
I can't see it happening without scholarships. How many athletes would be able to afford that final year (even if only a semester) on their own, particularly the ones who come from out of state, which represents the vast majority of them.

He's right on a vaccine for this-but I don't think that's the issue right now. Testing for it and getting a treatment out there that medical professionals see as viable are. If we get widespread testing and treatment for those who do come down with this out ASAP, we'll be able to get back to normal quicker.

I can't see it happening without scholarships. How many athletes would be able to afford that final year (even if only a semester) on their own, particularly the ones who come from out of state, which represents the vast majority of them.
My understanding is that CU charges the athletic department out-of-state tuition for each student athlete, regardless of where they come from.

We still have student loans, so I would think all of them would be able to afford it assuming they're still in good academic standing.

Fully acknowledge that not many would, but the point is that all players will be able to get their degrees and those with a real passion for the college sport will be allowed to play for four years if they really want to.

We still have student loans, so I would think all of them would be able to afford it assuming they're still in good academic standing.

Fully acknowledge that not many would, but the point is that all players will be able to get their degrees and those with a real passion for the college sport will be allowed to play for four years if they really want to.
I don't really understand why you would be an advocate of giving them an extra year, but at their own expense. If they get an extra year, it's on scholarship, just like every other situation where a player gains an extra year of eligibility

IF the season isn't played there's going to be a ton interesting decisions that have to me made. To me, a team wide red shirt designation for all players with scholarship makes the most sense. Try to retire some guys with graduation, if possible. There will also be a pool of high school seniors, who likely didn't play in '20, that would be incoming. The NCAA might have to consider an expanded scholarship cap in '21 to accommodate the overage. Maybe bump the cap up to 95 (?)...

I don't really understand why you would be an advocate of giving them an extra year, but at their own expense. If they get an extra year, it's on scholarship, just like every other situation where a player gains an extra year of eligibility
As I said above:
1. Allows student athletes to graduate in 4 years
2. Allows them to play four years
And it also
3. Allows scholarship space for incoming freshman
4. Allows all those things to happen without the increased financial burden on the schools of expanding scholarship limits following a year with $0 revenue

Seems like win for all
Granting an extra year without scholarship is a dumb idea.
I respect your opinion. Would you mind elaborating on why you think so? Again, seems like a win for all. It's not like one year of student loans would be a hardship for either those who graduate or those who go pro.

I'm sure I'm missing some point here.

Interesting. I wonder what the justification is for that.

To put money into the coffers of the mother ship. To pay some of the additional costs to the university that athletics costs (buildings, utilities, security, upkeep, registration, legal and Admin staff). Athletic departments use more campus real estate than any other department. CUSG is probably a close second with the Rec Center, UMC, and several campus rec fields.

For a lot of players having to pay out of state tuition would just lead them to dropping out.

Last edited:
As I understand it, a couple of days ago at the NCAA board of governors meeting, if push came to shove, one of the ideas that was floated around was to forgo the non conference schedule and start league play on the first weekend in October. I can see how this idea could possibly work in a number of ways. However, the season would carry an asterisk with it in the record books. They also slashed the distribution to all Div 1 schools by 375M. I have no idea how much of this money CU missed out on. The numbers were even less for Div II and III schools.

As I understand it, a couple of days ago at the NCAA board of governors meeting, if push came to shove, one of the ideas that was floated around was to forgo the non conference schedule and start league play on the first weekend in October. I can see how this idea could possibly work in a number of ways. However, the season would carry an asterisk with it in the record books. They also slashed the distribution to all Div 1 schools by 375M. I have no idea how much of this money CU missed out on. The numbers were even less for Div II and III schools.

Probably only about $1 mil.

There are 347 DI Schools across 49 different states. D1 colleges range from smaller private schools to the largest universities in the US.

What stings is no March Madness and the TV revenue that would have come from that. As I understand it there was insurance money but it doesnt add up to the amount you'd get from actually completing the event.

I will die if there isn't a college football season.

I might survive if the NCAA and EA surprises everyone with a new college football video game...

Unless we see a radical change pretty quickly, I don't see a football season happening. I hope I'm wrong on that.

I will die if there isn't a college football season.

I might survive if the NCAA and EA surprises everyone with a new college football video game...

I won't lie I'm not into xbox at all, but their backwards compatibility thing has me thinking how awesome playing an upscaled NCAA 14 would be..

system seller: a 7 year old football game, who knew

Do Blue checks just make **** up?

Yea I saw that yesterday and there's very little chance of this happening with the summer heat, not to mention the logistical issues. I guess they're just trying to put all options on the table given all the unknowns at this point.

I am anticipating no fall sports this year and winter are looking doubtful, unless we have widespread testing and effective treatment.

Probably only about $1 mil.

There are 347 DI Schools across 49 different states. D1 colleges range from smaller private schools to the largest universities in the US.

What stings is no March Madness and the TV revenue that would have come from that. As I understand it there was insurance money but it doesnt add up to the amount you'd get from actually completing the event.
Whether it is insurance money or savings, or rainy day funds, or whatever, this distribution should be made whole!!! Seems like every organization no longer has any savings or nobody plans for these things in some way. Record Profits, Record Debt, no planning!!!

Back