What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Other rumor mill stuff Ive read or discussed at work....

The president of the N.C.A.A. told congressional Republicans this week that the football season this fall could be shortened, with the regular season perhaps ending by Thanksgiving because of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a call on Wednesday with members of the House Republican whip team and other sports executives, the association’s president, Mark Emmert, said he anticipated that the college football season would begin around Labor Day as usual if games could be held within the regulations and guidelines of individual states.

But Representative Greg Walden of Oregon, who participated in the call, said that Emmert also said the schedule may ultimately be truncated and that certain championships, like conference title games, could be played by Thanksgiving.

The question has always been how "the show will go on."

What happens if a team has 20 positive tests during a season?
That could wipe out a whole QB room.

I bet 200-500 players return and test positive.

Schools are going to have a helluva time quarantining returning students.

One thing I’m noticing looking at the Colorado statistics is that the number of cases is slowly decreasing while the number of deaths and hospitalizations is dropping dramatically. There’s a couple ways to interpret these figures: one, that the actual number of cases in March and April were much higher but testing was inadequate to catch all the cases; two, that treatments for the infection have improved to make it far less deadly. If we are getting better at treatment, then even without a vaccine, the virus becomes less deadly and as a result, less of a threat. It turns into a bad case of the flu. If we are at a point where we are fighting a particularly nasty strain of the flu, then it becomes a lot easier to deal with 10+ guys on a football team who have the virus.

One thing I’m noticing looking at the Colorado statistics is that the number of cases is slowly decreasing while the number of deaths and hospitalizations is dropping dramatically. There’s a couple ways to interpret these figures: one, that the actual number of cases in March and April were much higher but testing was inadequate to catch all the cases; two, that treatments for the infection have improved to make it far less deadly. If we are getting better at treatment, then even without a vaccine, the virus becomes less deadly and as a result, less of a threat. It turns into a bad case of the flu. If we are at a point where we are fighting a particularly nasty strain of the flu, then it becomes a lot easier to deal with 10+ guys on a football team who have the virus.
To some degree, both. Hopefully

One other thing I noticed about the Colorado Stats: we hit what I think is a pretty significant milestone on June 3: the number of new cases exceeded the number of people in the hospital for the first time since early March. The number of hospitalizations has dropped from a high of 888 on April 14 to 231 as of yesterday. The hospitalization trend line has been pretty consistently down since April 23. Hospital discharges have remained reasonably consistent, but the rate of hospital admissions has dropped significantly. In late April, we were admitting 80-100 people a day. By late May, that had dropped to 10-20 people per day. Discharges have ranged from 30-50 per day through the entire period. Take what you want from these stats. I find them interesting. They lead me to the conclusion that it’s not crazy to think about having a normal football season if the trends continue.
All that goes out the door if there’s a major resurgence or if the death rate spikes dramatically. A lot can change in the next two months.

Recovering from the flu does not leave you with permanent lung damage.

Recovering from the flu does not leave you with permanent lung damage.

That is very true and happens in many cases. I do know several people that tested positive for Covid-19 and there were no long lasting effects or damage. It is strange and we need to figure that piece out.

If treatments are in fact improving, it stands to reason that long term effects are being minimized as a result.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find that a lot more people have had the virus than have been tested and reported.

WTF man, They are handing out COVID-19 test like candy here. My wife and daughter went for annual checkups and got tested--they've never shown any symptoms. I know the test kind of sucks (a lot of false negatives), but why wouldn't you test every athlete before allowing him or her to workout with others?

I wouldn’t let anybody start workouts without being tested first. That’s just common sense.

WTF man, They are handing out COVID-19 test like candy here. My wife and daughter went for annual checkups and got tested--they've never shown any symptoms. I know the test kind of sucks (a lot of false negatives), but why wouldn't you test every athlete before allowing him or her to workout with others?
Negligence?

Sadly I think we are headed for a fall with no college football.
Yes - I think the above is a realistic possibility. The NCAA should be looking at taking all fall sports and having them take place beginning mid/late February.

With the way things are going (no plan by the federal gov't to test en masse and contact trace - including helping states to do so - questions about if/when a vaccine is ready and the likely hood that there will be spikes on campuses) it's just tough to imagine it can be pulled off safely. It might still be tough come February.

Back