What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

I hear about all these positive tests everywhere and the horror of how we’re all going to die. This has been going on now for roughly 4 months and I have not heard of a single person I know who has it, not 1. Not a family member, friend, Facebook friend, no one. I haven’t even met any strangers who say they’ve had it or know a guy who knows a guy who knows a girl who has had it. I’ve heard of people catching it from the news and that’s about it.
ive known 2 people for sure. A friend in Florida, and the COO at work whose office I sat in just 2 days before. Two others i know suspect they had it in March.

I hear about all these positive tests everywhere and the horror of how we’re all going to die. This has been going on now for roughly 4 months and I have not heard of a single person I know who has it, not 1. Not a family member, friend, Facebook friend, no one. I haven’t even met any strangers who say they’ve had it or know a guy who knows a guy who knows a girl who has had it. I’ve heard of people catching it from the news and that’s about it.
Wait. Someone other than me acknowledges it is real but isn’t buying into the hysteria!? Yes!

Have you heard of Kate Snow from NBC News? Her husband is a dear friend of mine from high school. Here is a picture in to their life while he was battling Covid. Does this help you understand the personal side of it?

Never said it’s not real. At what point do we live relatively normal lives (maybe avoid large gatherings like a football game)? Another month? 6 months? A year? Two years? Keeping in mind as long as we are partially shut down millions of people lose their jobs.

Never said it’s not real. At what point do we live relatively normal lives (maybe avoid large gatherings like a football game)? Another month? 6 months? A year? Two years? Keeping in mind as long as we are partially shut down millions of people lose their jobs.
Lose a job or lose a life? maybe the government should step in here...

Lose a job or lose a life? maybe the government should step in here...
That’s the question

if the options are maybe an extra say 40,000 people die which is awful but say 15, 000,000 lose their jobs which means they can’t provide for their family/kids which is worse? Both options suck. But there does have to be some thought put into all this. Especially when you consider that if we shut down and save some lives now the numbers will go back up again when we reopen. So then you could have lost jobs and total deaths are about what they would have been

I don’t know the answer. I’m asking what you think we should do, and for how long? What is the event that allows us to go back to normal? What are we waiting for?

Orange you glad we took care of this problem like the rest of the world?

giphy.gif

That’s the question

if the options are maybe an extra say 40,000 people die which is awful but say 15, 000,000 lose their jobs which means they can’t provide for their family/kids which is worse? Both options suck. But there does have to be some thought put into all this. Especially when you consider that if we shut down and save some lives now the numbers will go back up again when we reopen. So then you could have lost jobs and total deaths are about what they would have been

I don’t know the answer. I’m asking what you think we should do, and for how long? What is the event that allows us to go back to normal? What are we waiting for?
Hospitals at or above capacity
Long-term heart and lung damage
At least 138,000 dead Americans
Leading the globe in cases and deaths
Cities in Florida and Arizona running ahead of Italy in all bad categories
40+ states with reversing case trend

We get to consider going back to normal when we get mature leadership in the White House. Since the election is in November and inauguration next January, that’ll be the time when we get to think about it.

has anyone seen a statement from the CFP, LLC on how they plan to react to Covid for this year? I spent a couple minutes googling and couldn't find anything. I assume they're sitting tight until the conferences sort out their seasons?

We take precautions to keep medical facilities properly resourced. That is not happening in many areas. It will be worse in August given numbers.

has anyone seen a statement from the CFP, LLC on how they plan to react to Covid for this year? I spent a couple minutes googling and couldn't find anything. I assume they're sitting tight until the conferences sort out their seasons?
Correct.

You know what would be peak CU luck since we joined the Pac-12?

The season gets pushed to the spring, we finally beat USC, and everyone decides the spring season is "unofficial".

You know what would be peak CU luck since we joined the Pac-12?

The season gets pushed to the spring, we finally beat USC, and everyone decides the spring season is "unofficial".
I realize you were making a joke, but in reality, the only organization that can declare the season 'official' or 'unofficial' is the Pac12 -- and it's nearly incomprehensible they would have a delayed season only to later declare it unofficial.

I knew (not extremely well) a guy who died from COVID in late March. In his 40's with two children and mostly in good shape/health. He was air lifted to Denver and died on the way. The family couldn't even see him for a few weeks.

I also know of a friend who got really sick in early March. His grandson was sick a week before and in the hospital on a ventilator. They tested the grandson and he was positive but didn't test my friend who had the symptoms of COVID. That was back before wide spread testing, obviously. The doctors told my friend he had pneumonia. He is still feeling some of the effects in July. He said he is pretty sure he had it but they wouldn't test him at the time.
My sister is just getting over COVID. Early on a friend who lived in a NJ nursing home died. She had very bad asthma and was morbidly obese which is probably why she did live 24 hours on the ventilator.
As one of the token non-liberals on here-this isn't a hoax. My cousin's wife had it, and it kicked her ass. Had a friend's dad (who is 67 and overweight) get it, and he's still dealing with the aftermath of it. Another friend had it and kicked it-but she's still not right. This isn't a walk in the park.

These and a who bunch more quotes that could be put here show that it is real.

The videos from multiple states, earlier in the crisis and now showing overcrowded ICUs and refrigerated trailers being used as morgues, the obituaries across the country are all real. This isn't something being staged on a Hollywood set to scare people. We keep seeing famous individuals get it and some die, we have seen wealthy individuals get it, we have seen medical professionals get it.

Anyone who thinks it is a hoax is deliberately deceiving themselves.

That’s the question

To start with we won't have 15,000,000 lose their jobs for anything past the period which is has already been addressed in the first stimulus package and we will now likely have a second package.

We have already lost over 130,000 people. How many more are you willing to sacrifice so people can have a new truck or go hang out at the beach?

If we were a year in your questions about how long might be more valid but it isn't like we have been suffering for a long time, it has been a few months, not years.

How selfish are we? How inconsiderate are we? How insensitive can we be when we can't take something that is killing this many people and damaging as many others seriously because we don't like having to restrict our lives some.

Doctors are getting much better at treating those who have the disease. We are developing drug treatments and protocols that speed up recovery for many patients and reduce the percentages of fatalities.

In record time we are moving into stage 3 trials on vaccines that will at the very least buy us time to develop permanent vaccines. These should be in distribution in early 2021.

Can we not keep our acts together until at least early next year for the sake of saving not a few but at least tens of thousands of lives?

At this point I don't see any way there is football in 2020 and I don't think 2021 is a sure thing either.
If it is scientifically validated that there is no or extremely low immunity after infection and that reinfections are worse than initial infections then there will be major implications for everything. Might need to start a thread on the construction of Mad Max War Wagons as it will be more pertinent than football discussions.

If I read this right from the WSJ the other week, there are no reported and scientifically reviewed and confirmed re-infections from this virus. Worldwide. One and done.

If the plan is to only allow player’s/staff’s family and season ticket holders To attend, I hope they give us ticket holders an option of sitting out the season and credit our payment to next year.

If the plan is to only allow player’s/staff’s family and season ticket holders To attend, I hope they give us ticket holders an option of sitting out the season and credit our payment to next year.

One other thing that I have been watching closely is the death numbers. In Colorado, the case numbers have been rising for about a month now. Hospitalizations have been rising slowly for about the same time. The death numbers haven’t gone up at all. I’m aware that this would be a trailing indicator, so it’s very possible that the death numbers will start to climb soon. But if they don’t, it would certainly be an indicator that treatments have become more effective. Perhaps I’m grasping at straws in the hopes of finding some kind of silver lining in all this, but I would have expected the death numbers to start climbing within a couple weeks of the case numbers, and that hasn’t happened.

One other thing that I have been watching closely is the death numbers. In Colorado, the case numbers have been rising for about a month now. Hospitalizations have been rising slowly for about the same time. The death numbers haven’t gone up at all. I’m aware that this would be a trailing indicator, so it’s very possible that the death numbers will start to climb soon. But if they don’t, it would certainly be an indicator that treatments have become more effective. Perhaps I’m grasping at straws in the hopes of finding some kind of silver lining in all this, but I would have expected the death numbers to start climbing within a couple weeks of the case numbers, and that hasn’t happened.
I don't think you're grasping at straws; I've had the very same thoughts w/r/t death rate vs hospitalization rate. DBT has posted about this a few times in the thread in the politics forum -- he has a relative in nursing who has been informing him that treatment is improving

This is a national trend, not just a local one. One theory that holds some water is that the infection rate has increased more dramatically in the younger generations, which hold up quite well from a survival perspective.

That’s the question

This isn't that hard:
1) We need to get COVID cases under control everywhere. Everybody needs to do what we've been encouraged to do for months, guys-Wear your masks if you're in public and in an area where you can't physically distance. Avoid large crowds. Work from home if its possible for you to do so. Wash your hands a lot. If you think you have it, assume you do and then quarantine/self-isolate as long as you need to. Stay home if at all possible-I suppose the return of basketball and hockey could help somewhat-if you provide entertainment that I can consume from my house or at a friend or family member's (my parents are both big nuggets fan who told me you're welcome to come watch as many games as you don't have access to with youtube TV with us as you want as soon as the NBA made its plan public) with a small (less than 5-10) group of people like a Nuggets or Avalanche game, I'll stay home and watch it for sure. ****, I've gotten pretty into the MLS tournament (despite not actually ever watching an MLS match before Orlando City-Inter Miami) over the last week. If we can't, restaurants/cinemas/bars/hotels etc. are in the same vicious cycle-they'll open for a few weeks and then have to shut back down again. We have to get the COVID-19 outbreak under control and keep it that way before we can fully bring the economy back.

2) We're going to need at least one more stimulus bill-and an extension of the federal UI through the end of the pandemic has to be a part of it. We can't afford to play games with the economy-you cut that off cold turkey, we're back in a recession like the one we saw in March or April. We can't have dip**** politicians like Turtle Man making grand proclamations about how the next COVID relief bill they're going to pass will be it.

3) School districts need to provide parents as much flexibility to do what's best for their families as possible-With what we're seeing in Denver being as close to ideal as you can get IMO. Pidgeonholing families into remote or 100% in person learning like what's happening in LA isn't the answer.

Last edited:
This isn't that hard:
1) We need to get COVID cases under control everywhere. Everybody needs to do what we've been encouraged to do for months, guys-Wear your masks if you're in public and in an area where you can't physically distance. Avoid large crowds. Work from home if its possible for you to do so. Wash your hands a lot. If you think you have it, assume you do and then quarantine/self-isolate as long as you need to. Stay home if at all possible-I suppose the return of basketball and hockey could help somewhat-if you provide entertainment that I can consume from my house or at a friend or family member's (my parents are both big nuggets fan who told me you're welcome to come watch as many games as you don't have access to with youtube TV with us as you want as soon as the NBA made its plan public) with a small (less than 5-10) group of people like a Nuggets or Avalanche game, I'll stay home and watch it for sure. ****, I've gotten pretty into the MLS tournament (despite not actually ever watching an MLS match before Orlando City-Inter Miami) over the last week. If we can't, restaurants/cinemas/bars/hotels etc. are in the same vicious cycle-they'll open for a few weeks and then have to shut back down again. We have to get the COVID-19 outbreak under control and keep it that way before we can fully bring the economy back.

2) We're going to need at least one more stimulus bill-and an extension of the federal UI through the end of the pandemic has to be a part of it. We can't afford to play games with the economy-you cut that off cold turkey, we're back in a recession like the one we saw in March or April. We can't have dip**** politicians like Turtle Man making grand proclamations about how the next COVID relief bill they're going to pass will be it.

3) School districts need to provide parents as much flexibility to do what's best for their families as possible-With what we're seeing in Denver being as close to ideal as you can get IMO. Pidgeonholing families into remote or 100% in person learning like what's happening in LA isn't the answer.
We might need another PPP type program as well.

Do y’all think COVID might force some conference realignment?

Or is it more likely we see it when some major TV contracts are up?

This is a national trend, not just a local one. One theory that holds some water is that the infection rate has increased more dramatically in the younger generations, which hold up quite well from a survival perspective.
The theory continues that it will take them a while longer to infect the older.

Back