What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Personal choice is only relevant in the absence of coercion.
And if we have reason to believe that ACC are coercing players into participating against their will, I'll agree 100% I haven't heard anything beyond your speculation that's something taking place, though.

I also think there's a difference between coercion and peer pressure.

Seriously, players being given a choice between "don't play and still keep scholarship" and "play, build commadarie with teammates, pursue your passion and increase your exposure to NFL scouts" is not something to condemn.

Players being coerced into believing they'll lose their scholarships if they opt out, would be something to condemn.

AFAIK, there's no cause to conflate these.

Well, it would certainly lead to laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol by teenagers . . . we wouldn't want that.
Or laws against consumption by drivers (to prevent drunk driving) or laws against consumption by married people (to prevent domestic violence)....

And if we have reason to believe that ACC are coercing players into participating against their will, I'll agree 100% I haven't heard anything beyond your speculation that's something taking place, though.

I also think there's a difference between coercion and peer pressure.

Seriously, players being given a choice between "don't play and still keep scholarship" and "play, build commadarie with teammates, pursue your passion and increase your exposure to NFL scouts" is not something to condemn.

Players being coerced into believing they'll lose their scholarships if they opt out, would be something to condemn.

AFAIK, there's no cause to conflate these.
If you believe that csu was an isolated incident, we will simply have to disagree. Coaches are not the players’ peers. They exert significant influence over players. Coaches have substantial financial motive to pressure players into playing. Situations like the one at csu will only grow as the season wears on and more COVID-19 spikes occur in many states where the ACC, $EC, and Big 12 of 10 live.

Or laws against consumption by drivers (to prevent drunk driving) or laws against consumption by married people (to prevent domestic violence)....
Your logical fallacies are showing. Conflating juvenile and adult behaviors is just weak sauce.

I'm listening. Please point out my fallacies-- I'm very open to logical reasoning.

:unsure: I posted that society abdicating responsibility for managing the pandemic has led to teenagers deciding whether to risk playing or not. You responded that the logic of my statement would lead to outlawing alcohol. That was a fallacy. HTH.

Actually in the 1st trial it is a 9.5% chance that 1 or more die. The second one is a 91.8% chance that 1 or more die. You need an IFR of 0.001% to give a 0.5% chance of having 1 or more people die if you have 500 infections.

Better yet if you have 100 player on the team and end up with 10% infected the odds of one of your players dying is 1%, based on a 0.001% IFR. Apply that to 39 teams and you have an issue. Even if only 1% of players on those 39 teams gets the virus, there is a 3.8% chance one of them dies. If 10% get it, it shoots up to 32%.
Thank you for the corrections.

This logic would lead to outlawing alcohol, among many other things.

No question. That applies to everything in life though, not just playing football. And, this reasoning is what led to keeping doctor-assisted suicide illegal in most states.

I get what both of you are saying, I just think you're undervaluing personal choice in this matter.

Outlawing alcohol, I'd say it goes closer to keeping the entire universities shut-down. To some that is the responsible societal response. Will there be some indirect coercion from coaches perhaps, but there may be more coercion from teammates who want their guys to just play. However, those same teammates will give teammates with underlying conditions support if they choose to sit out. It will be up to the NCAA and the Conference to send a clear message banning retaliation against those who sit out. With things so public these days, I think CSU is an anomaly of sorts, plus they got caught and the repercussions will be huge. That is a recent lesson for all to learn. With CFB coaches paid so much and their careers hanging in the balance, I would think many would be risk adverse, so if a player opts out, then leave it alone. Plus, why risk your job for a wacky 1-off season anyways?

One thing that I find notable is the # of players who really want to take the risk and play now. It can be a geographical bent, but in the SEC, ACC, and Big12 many of those players simply just want to play. Certainly, there was not that ground-swell in the Pac 12.

I still believe there is no guarantee of a fall season, until I see 4 games in the books and no huge problems.

The 3 conferences still playing football are giving those players all the ammo they need to prove they are in fact, not amateurs. You can’t tell someone they are an amateur and expect them to do normal procedures through a pandemic.

Fortunately, football players are too busy to, well, get busy.
Those girls need to knock off the topless pillow fights. Guys are on ladders outside watching them. Behind a window. Practicing social distancing. Good on those gentlemen. Those ladies however? They should know better.

Several CFB players around country not happy with returning students’ covid practices. Now Bama AD weighs in.

I saw some probably unreliable at best nuggets on Twitter that with the petition stuff going on in the BIG and the new rapid testing stuff being funded by the NBA, that the BIG is considering rethinking the Fall season cancellation. Highly doubt it's real, but there's a lot of pressure being applied right now.

I saw some probably unreliable at best nuggets on Twitter that with the petition stuff going on in the BIG and the new rapid testing stuff being funded by the NBA, that the BIG is considering rethinking the Fall season cancellation. Highly doubt it's real, but there's a lot of pressure being applied right now.
what IF the Pac 12 ends up the only non-PAC5 that doesn't try to play ?

Would say highly doubtful.

Testing is great but unless you can track and isolate it doesn't prevent you from getting people sick.

A lot of fans though grasping at straws. Willing to try anything to get their games back without regard for the lives involved.

Along these lines I heard somebody yesterday who thought that we should just buy enough of the Russian vaccine to get all the teams vaccinated and go.

Back